OGXbox.com

Backup Games?

C64MidRezzie

Hi - I would like to backup some of my original disks as some are scratched - I know about dumping them to Hard Drive using dvd2xbox.  I'm just wondering how I can make physical disk copies of my games? 

Would this method work?

1. Dump game to xbox using dvd2xbox

2. FTP game files to PC

3 Use some kind of ISO creator - suggestions needed here

4. Burn to disk using imgburn

Would this method work?  Thanks

Yes, that method will work.

For step 3, you need an XISO disc image creation application:

• Qwix v1.0.1
  • C-Xbox Tool v2.0.6 or 2.0.7

are two of the many applications available to make the special Xbox format ISO image.  These two are Windows applications.  They can perform many operations to create an XISO, extract files from an XISO, upload and download files to/from the Xbox hard drive, etc.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

Yes, that method will work.

For step 3, you need an XISO disc image creation application:

• Qwix v1.0.1
  • C-Xbox Tool v2.0.6 or 2.0.7

are two of the many applications available to make the special Xbox format ISO image.  These two are Windows applications.  They can perform many operations to create an XISO, extract files from an XISO, upload and download files to/from the Xbox hard drive, etc.

Ok so I have c-xboxtool open and the game on the PC having used FTP - any idea on what I do next - finding it hard to find tutorials in English for this program?  Thanks

Create XISO: 

1. Start C-Xbox Tool 2.0.x

510099136_C-XboxToolv2.0.7.jpg.9e26f76feb0d22dc4f8122d0274c822f.jpg

2. Click on ISO Creation button. 

3. To the right and near the bottom of the window, click on Add Folder

828591149_AddFolder.JPG.9031ac87676ab8a438a49b18f564bb12.JPG

4. A new pop-up window will appear to select the Source, Target and dot iso filename. The Filename will be automatically created but can be changed if you prefer to use a different dot iso destination file.

272983022_ISOCreationSourceandDestinationFolderSelection.JPG.02f5ac01814e5ce9d61737c45b37f061.JPG

5. Click on the Source Folder's 427314422_2-SourceFolderSelectionButton.JPG.8408456e5321005b888b68c9410fc75b.JPG button then browse to the Folder where the files were downloaded to. They should all be in their own subfolder.

6. Select a Target folder for the ISO to be stored.  Again click the folder button at the right side of the Target folder box.

7. Click the Start button to create the Filename entered dot ISO file from step 3 in the Target folder.

248483843_3-ClickStart.JPG.56dc187ea2f3e923b2d34e91331e2685.JPG

A progress window will appear.

324446027_4-XISOCreationProgressWindow.JPG.14948c3b6b7fded4dcd61adde0f5c28e.JPG

wait for the Creation process to complete.  You will find the XISO disc image in the destination folder under the Filename entered in step 3.

You can add more than one folder to process many apps/games.  You can also add the FTP folder instead so you don't have to download the files first from the Xbox to the PC.  You do have to setup the FTP parameters in the application's Options -> Preferences -> FTP tab to access your Xbox content: IP address, username, password and Default Xbox directory.

633956180_FTPPreferences.JPG.7e0f7dff5403ecc18f6ea0496b222728.JPG

Hi - thanks for the guide - I did this and burned it using ImgBurn on a DVD -R and the xbox doesn't recognise it - it says tray empty.  I burned it at 4X and unchecked verify disk - really disappointed as I thought I had cracked it.  

Here's what I did:

1. DVD2XBOX - selected copy disk to hard disk - I did not select ISO mode so a folder with contents was created on the xbox hard drive.

2. Used Filezilla to FTP the contents of the game's folder to my desktop on my PC

3. Followed your method above using C-xbox and successfully created an ISO

4. Opened ImgBurn - selected "Write image file to disk" - unchecked "verify" selected "4X" write speed and successfully created the disk.

5. Placed disk in xbox turned it on and searched for the disk and then said "no disk in tray"

Did I mess up any of the steps?  I used a Verbatim - DVDR disk.

It must be something to do with the disk drive (which read the original and dumped it to the HD) as the disk I burned works in my other xbox - thanks very much guys - does anyone know if burning at a different speed to X4 might make it compatible with the drive I used to dump it to the hard drive?

Edited by C64MidRezzie

Your DVD drive is going bad. The laser pickup mechanism on the Xbox DVD drives all seem to be dying.  Or, the lens needs to be cleaned.

If DVD2Xbox created an ISO image, you could download and burn that image to DVD-R media without needing to create one from the file set downloaded to the PC.

Just now, KaosEngineer said:

I don't think so.

Which disk type - DVD-R or DVD+R? 

Use -R instead of +R media

I just edited post above - I tried the disk on another Original Xbox and it worked perfectly - maybe it is something to do with the drive - it definitely reads retail disks as I used it to copy the game to the hard drive but maybe it can't play non retail disks.  Although it did read the Rocky 5 extras disk.  I used DVD -R burnded at 4X - do you think a different speed might help?

9 minutes ago, C64MidRezzie said:

I just edited post above - I tried the disk on another Original Xbox and it worked perfectly - maybe it is something to do with the drive - it definitely reads retail disks as I used it to copy the game to the hard drive but maybe it can't play non retail disks.  Although it did read the Rocky 5 extras disk.  I used DVD -R burnded at 4X - do you think a different speed might help?

make sure that the XISO image has a default.xbe file in the root folder. 

There should be no top-level subfolder that all the files are stored under.

All files and folders should appear in the root of the disc image and a default.xbe file should be present as seen below. 

Use C-Xbox Tool's ISO Explore function to see the contents stored in the XISO disc image:

562433516_ISOExplore.JPG.a03514dbeeead2e964b2eece42fab5bb.JPG

It is a Thomson Drive so I might try a different brand if I get time over the next week - right now I'm just backing up 4 of my favourite games as the disks are well worn over years of play - the good news is that I already have them backed up to my hard drive so now I can skip to step 2 above - thank you all so much for all your help on this topic - you guys are truely amazingly helpful.

4 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

make sure that the XISO image has a default.xbe file in the root folder.  There should be no subfolder. All files should appear in the root of the disc image and a default.xbe file should be present.  Use C-Xbox Tool's ISO Explore function:

562433516_ISOExplore.JPG.a03514dbeeead2e964b2eece42fab5bb.JPG

I did this and found that it is there but there is also another file called defalt.xbe_orig - does that make any difference or is it just the fact the Thomson drive doesn't like Verbatim -R disks?  Thanks

14 minutes ago, C64MidRezzie said:

I did this and found that it is there but there is also another file called defalt.xbe_orig - does that make any difference or is it just the fact the Thomson drive doesn't like Verbatim -R disks?  Thanks

Nah dude, if it works elsewhere, that’s just your drive. If you are so inclined, this site hosts the “Xbox Repair Guide” which has really useful info on fixing DVD drives. 

Hmm, the default.xbe_orig is the original XBE file before being patched by DVD2Xbox to be able to run from any media type. 

An Xbox game's default.xbe file contains an AllowedMedia Dword (32-bits) used to indicate which the types of media the program can be executed from.  Normally the file is set to only run from original DVD media not a backup or hard drive stored file.

AllowedMedia = 0x202

I think DVD2Xbox modifies the AllowedMedia value to allow it to run from any media type. AllowedMedia = 0x3FF.

Allowed Media Types
XBEIMAGE_MEDIA_TYPE_HARD_DISK       0x00000001
XBEIMAGE_MEDIA_TYPE_DVD_X2              0x00000002
XBEIMAGE_MEDIA_TYPE_DVD_CD              0x00000004
XBEIMAGE_MEDIA_TYPE_CD                         0x00000008
XBEIMAGE_MEDIA_TYPE_DVD_5_RO          0x00000010
XBEIMAGE_MEDIA_TYPE_DVD_9_RO           0x00000020
XBEIMAGE_MEDIA_TYPE_DVD_5_RW          0x00000040
XBEIMAGE_MEDIA_TYPE_DVD_9_RW          0x00000080
XBEIMAGE_MEDIA_TYPE_DONGLE               0x00000100
XBEIMAGE_MEDIA_TYPE_MEDIA_BOARD   0x00000200

Mode flags (???)
XBEIMAGE_MEDIA_TYPE_NONSECURE_HARD_DISK 0x40000000
XBEIMAGE_MEDIA_TYPE_NONSECURE_MODE      0x80000000

Media Type Mask (only 24-bits used for media type)
#define XBEIMAGE_MEDIA_TYPE_MEDIA_MASK          0x00FFFFFF

If 24-bits are used, not all values have been determined as only the least significant 10 bits for media types are defined.

2 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Yes, it's the drive. The drive either doesn't like your media or the lens and mirror are dirty or laser dying. In the Thomson, there are two items that need to be cleaned.

Thanks - I'll check it out tomorrow as I've used up my download allowance for the day by downloading Quix files earlier.