OGXbox.com

Anyone Got a Link To a Site That Sells a Tried and Trusted 80pin Lead for Upgrading To Sata Drive?

C64MidRezzie

Normally i use:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Cable-Device-Conductor-inch/dp/B000I21Y28

I have had one of those go bad before. 

Never bought one of these myself but I am using one of these too:

https://www.amazon.com/40-Pin-80-Wire-2-Drive-Ribbon-Manhattan/dp/B003IDF0JC

Really, you might also want to call up whoever runs your local computer shop and see if they’re carrying any. Tend to be much cheaper and you get the same thing quicker.

If you’re cloning in CHIMP you’ll survive without using the upgraded cable during the clone. Depending on the adapter you use and condition of your dvd drive - if you’re using one - you may get away without using one at all. It may also keep the console from booting at all. 

Edited by Magicaldave
Additional info

On 6/2/2019 at 8:54 PM, Magicaldave said:

Normally i use:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Cable-Device-Conductor-inch/dp/B000I21Y28

I have had one of those go bad before. 

Never bought one of these myself but I am using one of these too:

https://www.amazon.com/40-Pin-80-Wire-2-Drive-Ribbon-Manhattan/dp/B003IDF0JC

Really, you might also want to call up whoever runs your local computer shop and see if they’re carrying any. Tend to be much cheaper and you get the same thing quicker.

If you’re cloning in CHIMP you’ll survive without using the upgraded cable during the clone. Depending on the adapter you use and condition of your dvd drive - if you’re using one - you may get away without using one at all. It may also keep the console from booting at all. 

Good call on checking out my local computer shop - they also fix computers so the guy just grabbed the nearest one to hand and gave it to me for free - now I'm just waiting for my Startech IDE to SATA.  Setting up a 500GB SATA drive has cost me next to nothing - took the drive from my old Sky + box so all in I only had to buy the Startech IDE to SATA - happy days!

• 3 weeks later...

Flip it end-over-end.  the two close together connectors are to the motherboard and DVD drive and the one that is further apart going to the hard drive.

How long is the cable?  I

f it's the standard 18" PC length, it may be long enough but will be a very tight fit with many twists and folders.  A 24" long cable works well to fit into the Xbox. 

The Xbox doesn't use PC standard dimensions for its IDE cable.  And, one connector sticks out on the opposite side.

15 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Flip it end-over-end.  the two close together connectors are to the motherboard and DVD drive and the one that is further apart going to the hard drive.

How long is the cable?  I

f it's the standard 18" PC length, it may be long enough but will be a very tight fit with many twists and folders.  A 24" long cable works well to fit into the Xbox. 

The Xbox doesn't use PC standard dimensions for its IDE cable.  And, one connector sticks out on the opposite side.

It's long but the cable is designed to have two hard drives  on top of each other connected to a pc  motherboard so no matter what I do the two close together IDE connectors won't connect to both the dvd drive and the motherboard at the same time.

Some ppl do not know: you can indeed swap the 80-wire IDE cable around, like KaosEngineer said: The Mobo connector would then go into the HDD.

I found this tutorial on youtube: how to fold an Xbox IDE cable (if using it reversed).

@ OP: For something as simple as an IDE cable, I do not recommend looking for brands etc. Just buy one that fits the specs (80-wire, not too long). Actually, the best cable would be the same lenght as the original cable and let you assemble (crimp) the middle connector yourself. That way you could use the IDE cable the correct way around instead of reversed.

• 2 weeks later...