OGXbox.com

Rom File Format for Sega Cd and Ps1

excaliburlives

I’m not extensively familiar with emulating Ps1 on Xbox, but from my experience doing so on PC you most likely do have the right format. Either IMG or BIN/cue is the ideal format for Ps1 games. Bin/cue does tend to work better from my experience. 

Don’t try to smash them into .iso. If you are using a stock console this *may* be part of the problem as the Ps1 tends to be really rough on the Xbox’s hardware. 

Also, you might try this emu for you Ps1 needs: http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=6561&start=150#p88063

Edited by Magicaldave

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This on emulationstation took me 3 days to accomplish. It's not just as simple as Bin/cue you have to make sure that one is pointing to the other. Depending on where you got your pack from they may have to be edited within the bin and cue file itself. This can be done on notepad plus plus. Or can be done through the file editor of an original Xbox. Another good tip is the spelling has to be exactly the same both as the main name for the Q and name for the bin.. also within these files they have to be named the same. I wish you good luck..

• 2 months later...

I found out the hard way that the ISO files don't exactly work well in XBMC Emustation so I found a program called PowerISO that converts ISO to BIN/CUE. The trouble, however, is that I didn't want to spend hours clicking on each file to do a conversion. Fortunately, the program has a command line function so I decided to make a BAT file that runs automatically and it worked awesome. It does have a limitation of only doing ISO less than 300MB unless it's registered (but I found a way get around that). For your conversion pleasure, I have attached my BAT file for anyone who wants it. Just follow these steps:

1. Download PowerISO from here - https://www.poweriso.com/download.php
  2. I used C:\TEMP for my input folder and C:\TEMP\BIN-CUE for my output folder. Create these folders.
      a. You can change these folders if you want but then you will need to edit all the lines in the BAT file to match.
  3. Place all your SEGA-CD ISO roms in the C:\TEMP folder
  4. Place the BAT file within the folder where you installed PowerISO. Mine is C:\Program Files\PowerISO
  5. Double-click the BAT file. If you did everything right, the program should start converting the ISOs to BIN/CUE files.
  6. Move the files over to your Xbox, scan them in, and they should all show up and work.

Let me know if you encounter any problems or have any questions.

pisoconvert-OGXBOX.bat

Edited by malarrya
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys.

So I'm using XBMC Emustation and I have the Resurrection Xtras SEGA CD set. As mentioned above, the files are .iso files, as well as .mp3 files. If I copy the .iso and .mp3 files to the roms folder and run an update, the games aren't recognised (despite being playable in neogenesis if you launch it from a different dashboard). So I converted the .iso to a .bin and .cue file, and whilst Emustation sees the files and adds them to the list, and lets you launch the games successfully, now the music doesn't play when it's meant to.

So in short, what am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to make this work properly? It's the very last piece of the puzzle for me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 hours ago, Cr3AmY_g0Dw1N said:

Hi guys.

So I'm using XBMC Emustation and I have the Resurrection Xtras SEGA CD set. As mentioned above, the files are .iso files, as well as .mp3 files. If I copy the .iso and .mp3 files to the roms folder and run an update, the games aren't recognised (despite being playable in neogenesis if you launch it from a different dashboard). So I converted the .iso to a .bin and .cue file, and whilst Emustation sees the files and adds them to the list, and lets you launch the games successfully, now the music doesn't play when it's meant to.

So in short, what am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to make this work properly? It's the very last piece of the puzzle for me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The audio files net to be added to .cue file and i think they need to be .wav not .mp3 but i am not 100% sure on that. I have added a .cue file so you can see what it needs to look like, you can open it with notepad.

3 Ninjas Kick Back.cue

• Thanks 1

Hi Project Zer0.

Thanks for the feedback and thank you for the example. It's been really useful, and I'm very grateful. Bottom line: I don't think I understood the role of .cue files properly. Now that I've gotten a better idea of how they function, I've gotten several games to work on the emulator and they play as expected. Again, thank you.

What I would say to anyone else looking to get SEGA CD games working on their modded XBOX, the Ressurection Xtras iso/romset doesn't seem compatible with NEOGenesis when integrated into XBMC Emustation. I've found that they work just fine with NEOGenesis itself if you install the emulator and launch it from the Unleash X dashboard (or whatever you've got), but in order for them to work with XBMC Emustation, there's a lot of work to do, including:

• converting the .iso to .bin/.cue
  • converting the .mp3 files to .wav or .bin
  • editing the .cue file to work with the amended files.

Even if you know what you're doing, and you've only got a handful of games, it's laborious to say the least. But it's not clear that this is even necessary. What little documentation there is - the description for the SEGA CD emulator in the urldownloader - tells users to ONLY use the Ressurection Xtras iso/romset. Rocky5 also said this in a comment elsewhere last year (link below):

"Sega CD only works with CUE, BIN/IMG/ISO and wav files.

I scan for cue files only as like all cd based systems a cue file should always be used for optimal support of the content."

https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/94g38f/emustation_questions/e3mfw9y/

A few issues here. First off, NEOGenesis in Emustation doesn't work with .iso files, even though the emulator itself is compatible with .iso and .mp3. Also, if you're only scanning for .cue files then .iso obviously won't be compatible. Second, the PC-Engine CD uses .iso and .mp3 files without any issues at all, so it's not 'all cd based systems', just the SEGA CD. But most importantly, and as mentioned above, the Ressurection Xtras set is not configured for use with Emustation given this information, so why instruct users to use them at all? Don't get me wrong, it's a fairly minor oversight in the grand scheme of things, but I know from forum posts that I'm not the only person affected by this issue, and there's just minimal guidance. In fact, there's no real guidance because the scant information I've found is wrong anyway!

So in summation, if you want to add SEGA CD games to XBMC Emustation, they have to be in .bin and .cue format with either the audio tracks as .wav or .bin also. You also need to use a program like Notepad++ to edit the .cue and make sure it's referencing the correct files. I'd also recommend searching for 'Sega CD' or 'Mega CD' on your torrent site of choice for a decent set of roms as an alternative to Ressurection Xtras.

Edited by Cr3AmY_g0Dw1N
Error in formatting