OGXbox.com

Noob Saying Hello

oldmate

Hey man! Great to see new people around here as always. Please do feel free to ask questions and hang out, I and many other more knowledgeable people (than myself, not you :P) are always glad to help. 

Out of curiosity, why chip? I personally prefer to TSOP, especially the earlier revision consoles as I find modchips offer few benefits unless the console is dead or you just spend stupid amounts of cash on X3 based chips and consoles. 

Either way I hope you like the forum!

I just figured that I could spend about $10-15 on a chip and IDE to Sata adapter and put in a new HDD for less than it would cost to get a copy of one of the games with the save vulnerability and a USB stick that works.  I can then put all my games straight to HDD. 

Being an electronics tech in a past life I'm not scared of a soldering iron.

Maybe I'm doing it ass about?

On 6/2/2019 at 5:03 AM, oldmate said:

I just figured that I could spend about $10-15 on a chip and IDE to Sata adapter and put in a new HDD for less than it would cost to get a copy of one of the games with the save vulnerability and a USB stick that works.  I can then put all my games straight to HDD. 

Being an electronics tech in a past life I'm not scared of a soldering iron.

Maybe I'm doing it ass about?

Nah, makes perfect sense to me. If you happen to already have the game, cable, and drive, sure. Softmod will take you way less time.

on the other hand, if you’ve got some skill with a soldering iron and can set the hard drive up from your PC/another Xbox, you’re way better of starting that way. 

Generally speaking I would suggest doing it the latter way for a number of reasons. Those old flash drives and the games are only getting more expensive, they might be hard to find in SOME cases, and that notwithstanding if your dvd drive is hosed - which I promise it will be one day, if not already - none of that matters if you can’t load the game anyway.

Plus the chip has one major benefit in that if you somehow end up flashing a bad BIOS, it’s way easier to recover a bad BIOS on a modchip than on the Xbox motherboard itself even for an experienced solder tech. You barely even need to know how to use an iron to pull a socketed flash from your modchip or just replace the modchip altogether.

Make sure you upgrade your drive cable as well!

Happy modding. 

Yeah cool, thanks Magicaldave.

I have a linux fileserver so pretty easy to install FATX support and play with the new HDD if needed. Although from what I read the Hexen disc can do pretty much everything I need.

Loving this forum for all the info and great users onboard. 

8 hours ago, oldmate said:

I have a linux fileserver so pretty easy to install FATX support

Hmmm. My main PC is based on unRAID so I figure this would probably be very easy to do myself but it had never even occurred to me. Why pass through a disk to work with it when you can do it natively!

Do let me know how that works out if you ever do it.