OGXbox.com

1 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz XBox Problem Game(S)

RoofTop

There's a few games not working on faster cpu.

Does anyone know how to get Return to Castle Wolfenstein (NTSC) to run with a faster cpu ?  (1 ghz, 1.4 ghz) ?

On startup it dIsplays the first copyright screen and then it freezes just before loading the ESRB notice. HDD spins down to low activity. Same result happens if I use xbepatcher on the default.xbe.  On my stock xbox this game runs just fine.

• 4 months later...

Did anyone ever manage to get GTA Vice City to run properly on a 1GHz or 1.4GHz CPU? I disassembled the xbe to have a look through it, but it doesn't seem to work the same as the likes of San Andreas. I know that with San Andreas, it had a QueryPerformanceFrequency call and it was just hex for 733333 (MHz instead of KHz), but Vice City doesn't seem to work in the same way at all.

7 hours ago, Steo1024 said:

Did anyone ever manage to get GTA Vice City to run properly on a 1GHz or 1.4GHz CPU? I disassembled the xbe to have a look through it, but it doesn't seem to work the same as the likes of San Andreas. I know that with San Andreas, it had a QueryPerformanceFrequency call and it was just hex for 733333 (MHz instead of KHz), but Vice City doesn't seem to work in the same way at all.

interested in the same topic with you, also, do you have the values to patch GTA SA? I never succeded to patch it right.

14 hours ago, neighbor said:

interested in the same topic with you, also, do you have the values to patch GTA SA? I never succeded to patch it right.

Yeah San Andreas is easy enough. I still patched the default value of 55 C7 B5 2B with 00 CA 9A 3B too just to be sure, but additionally you need to change all instances of 95 30 0B with 40 42 0F.

If you have a 1.4GHz CPU, you'll want to replace 55 C7 B5 2B with 00 4E 72 53, and all instances of 95 30 0B with C0 5C 15 instead.

Edited by Steo1024
  • Like 1

For some reason, it's not working in Vice City. Once they've all been changed, the game still runs too fast. It seems to run choppy too for some reason after altering the values.

Splinter Cell games work once the values have been altered in other xbe files. I'll quote myself from assemblergames:

It turns out Chaos Theory has sc3.xbe and sc3_adv.xbe, I just edited those to have the 1000000000Hz value and that seems to have solved the problem. Pandora Tomorrow has Offline.xbe that also needs the value changed to make the game work. As for San Andreas, I only noticed the first post had a quote which stated that it's usually in Hz, while that's kHz. I just got confused because I've seen that it's in kHz instead of MHz, but it's usually a value in Hz.

Edited by Steo1024
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, A Murder of Crows said:

I wonder, are there fixes like this for Star Wars: Battlefront 2?

I just checked, Star Wars: Battlefront 2 works by just changing the normal value of  55 C7 B5 2B to 00 CA 9A 3B, which means XBEpatcher should work on it without the need to hex edit.

• 2 years later...

Hey there,

I patched a lot of games for my 1,4GHz XBox... but there are a few that won't run or still run too fast.

Any idea what to do? Any help would be nice since there are few titels I want to play on 1,4GHz.

Don't run:

Amped Freestyle Snowboarding
Arctic Thunder
Buffy Vampier
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
Deathrow
Def Jam: Fight for NY - Only patch CPU, not RAM
Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick
Gungriffon Allied Strike
Gunmetal
Midtown Madness 3
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance
NARC
Nightcaster 2
Pac Man World 3
Quantum Redshift
Reservoir Dogs
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Rogue Ops
Sneak King
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
Tecmo Classic Arcade
Tom & Jerry - War of the Whiskers

Too Fast:

Battle Engine
Battlefield 2
Beatdown
Brothers In Arms Road 30
Brothers In Arms Blood
Call of Cathulhu
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3
Cold War
Combat Task Force 121
Da Vinci Code
Dark Angel
Destroy all Humans 1
Enclave
Evil Dead: Regenartion
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Freedom Fighters
Freestyle Metal X
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
Gladiator: SoV
GTA Vice City
Half Life 2
Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
Hitman 2 - Silent Assassin
Hitman 3 - Blood Money
Hitman 4 - Contracts
Indiana Jones and the Emporor's Tomb
King Arthur
Knights of the Temple 1
Kung Fu Chaos
Manhunt
Marc Eckos Getting Up
Mechassault 2
Mercenaries
Motocross Mania 3
Nightcaster 1
Oddworld: Munchs Oddysee
Power Drome
Project Snowblind
Psychonauts
Rally Sport Challenge 2
Red Dead Revolver
Shrek
Spyro A New Beginning
Star Wars Episode 3
Test Driver Off Road Wide open
Tomb Raider Legends
TY the Tasmanian Tiger 2
TY the Tasmanian Tiger 3
World War 2 Combat - Road to Berlin
World War 2 Combat - Iwo Jima

EDIT:

Fixed - Command in green

Edited by Onaga

15 hours ago, Onaga said:

Hey there,

I patched a lot of games for my 1,4GHz XBox... but there are a few that won't run or still run too fast.

Any idea what to do? Any help would be nice since there are few titels I want to play on 1,4GHz.

Don't run:

Amped Freestyle Snowboarding
Arctic Thunder
Buffy Vampier
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
Deathrow
Def Jam: Fight for NY - Only patch CPU, not RAM
Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick
Gungriffon Allied Strike
Gunmetal
Midtown Madness 3
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance
NARC
Nightcaster 2
Pac Man World 3
Quantum Redshift
Reservoir Dogs
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Rogue Ops
Sneak King
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
Tecmo Classic Arcade
Tom & Jerry - War of the Whiskers

Too Fast:

Battle Engine
Battlefield 2
Beatdown
Brothers In Arms Road 30
Brothers In Arms Blood
Call of Cathulhu
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3
Cold War
Combat Task Force 121
Da Vinci Code
Dark Angel
Destroy all Humans 1
Enclave
Evil Dead: Regenartion
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Freedom Fighters
Freestyle Metal X
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
Gladiator: SoV
GTA Vice City
Half Life 2
Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
Hitman 2 - Silent Assassin
Hitman 3 - Blood Money
Hitman 4 - Contracts
Indiana Jones and the Emporor's Tomb
King Arthur
Knights of the Temple 1
Kung Fu Chaos
Manhunt
Marc Eckos Getting Up
Mechassault 2
Mercenaries
Motocross Mania 3
Nightcaster 1
Oddworld: Munchs Oddysee
Power Drome
Project Snowblind
Psychonauts
Rally Sport Challenge 2
Red Dead Revolver
Shrek
Spyro A New Beginning
Star Wars Episode 3
Test Driver Off Road Wide open
Tomb Raider Legends
TY the Tasmanian Tiger 2
TY the Tasmanian Tiger 3
World War 2 Combat - Road to Berlin
World War 2 Combat - Iwo Jima

EDIT:

Fixed - Command in green

Thank you for the list of problem games. That will help me some on my cpu journeys.

Do you have a halfspeed switch for your cpu?

Edited by Bowlsnapper

Hey, yes have a switch! Why? (Use full speed all the time).

I have a CPU rebuild from N64 Freak.

Managed to fix some of the games from my list above. I'm going to show a full list of all my games that work and a list of the games I can't get to work.

7 hours ago, Onaga said:

Hey, yes have a switch! Why? (Use full speed all the time).

I have a CPU rebuild from N64 Freak.

Managed to fix some of the games from my list above. I'm going to show a full list of all my games that work and a list of the games I can't get to work.

Just wondering if flipping it to halfspeed basically fixes the overspeed problems. I thought that's why the performance reduction circuit was used in the interposer design.

1 hour ago, Onaga said:

Thought the same, but it does not work for some reason.

"XBMC3.5.3 - System Info" showes no difference either if I flip the switch, it's always 1402,XX MHz.

The reduction circuit doesn't actually reduce the clock speed, so you wont see an application report that. It somehow kills every other cycle to achieve half performance. I wish i understood how. However, if supposedly reducing performance to 733mhz (stock) eqivalent speed doesn't enable compatability with timing-sensitive games, then I'm not sure what the flying fuck its practical purpose actually is.

I wish somebody would be willing to explain why OG xbox games are set up in a way that causes them to vary in speed depending on clockspeed and PC games are not. PC games just vary in performance/framerates.

WTF? Why?

Edited by Bowlsnapper

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

The reduction circuit doesn't actually reduce the clock speed, so you wont see an application report that. It somehow kills every other cycle to achieve half performance. I wish i understood how. However, if supposedly reducing performance to 733mhz (stock) eqivalent speed doesn't enable compatability with timing-sensitive games, then I'm not sure what the flying fuck its practical purpose actually is.

I wish somebody would be willing to explain why OG xbox games are set up in a way that causes them to vary in speed depending on clockspeed and PC games are not. PC games just vary in performance/framerates.

WTF? Why?

I don't understand either... the switch is usless from my experiance, at least for xbox games. Not sure if there is any difference for movies or emulators... but emulators works all fine for me except of "Ninja Massive Pack"... have to use KAWA-X for Neo Geo Games...

It's really not easy to make all the games work on a 1,4Ghz... some games requier 128MB patch, some not... some require Trusty 1400 patch, some FriendTech... sometimes you have to patch multiple *.xbe files... and some games worked after I patched manually with HxD, for example "Manhunt".

So far it seems like I can't get 72 out of 761 games to work.

1 hour ago, Onaga said:

I don't understand either... the switch is usless from my experiance, at least for xbox games. Not sure if there is any difference for movies or emulators... but emulators works all fine for me except of "Ninja Massive Pack"... have to use KAWA-X for Neo Geo Games...

It's really not easy to make all the games work on a 1,4Ghz... some games requier 128MB patch, some not... some require Trusty 1400 patch, some FriendTech... sometimes you have to patch multiple *.xbe files... and some games worked after I patched manually with HxD, for example "Manhunt".

So far it seems like I can't get 72 out of 761 games to work.

I've seen the jump from 733 to 1400 make a difference in emulators for sure. 720 patched games like Halo CE and Doom 3 can take advantage of the extra power too, to boost framerates. Video that struggles, like 720p video, drops many less frames at 1400. I guess there really is no functional benefit to it, then? That sucks.

Check your PMs.

You have a benefit in loading time for a lot of games, this is for sure! I made a video where I compare 733Mhz vs 1,4 Ghz and you have 3 sek faster loading time just for "FarCry Evolution"... combine this with a SSD and you get an insane loading speed/boost. Faster loading time stays even if you patch the xbe file, thats awesome!

You can also see a huge difference if it comes to Ps1 Emulator... as well as picture(video) quality on every other emulatore (way sharper and more colorfull).

Overall I'm very happy with the 1,4Ghz XBox... took me some hours to make my HDD almost perfect... there are just a few very good game titles that I can't get to work but I can live with that. I mean, I have a stack of modded XBox consols, I don't care if I have to take a regular one to play Call of Duty 4 just because it doesn't work on my 1,4Ghz, haha :)

• 2 months later...

Hey there,

I finally finished my 1,4Ghz HDD (2TB).

I want to share this list for those who have a 1,4Ghz or 1,5Ghz consol and are working on a HDD as well. It might be not 100% perfect but I'm really proud to have a HDD like this.

Attached is a list of all the content inside.

-686 Games patched, they all work perfect!

-57 Games that run too fast no matter how I patched.

-23 Games that didn't work no matter what.

-You can ignore "Systemlink" it's just a line for the games me and my friends play online most of the time.

-720p patch that worked really good in my opinion! I just kept 720p for those games that work smooth and stable.

-Including Homebrews, Retro Emulators (Full Pack), Ps1 Emulator with over 100 Games and some german exclusive games.

Yes I'm from germany and It was important for me to have some games (RPGS) in german language.

My XBox 1,4Ghz HDD.pdf

• Like 3

Thats amazing you were able to get so many to work. I havent even considered doing a cpu mod because i thought i wouldnt get alot of games to play on it. One i am curious about is how well does elder scrolls 3 morrowind work on it? I know you had listed it but wondered how much time you spent in the game after the cpu mod. I read that there are ways to mod morrowind for the xbox as well and i figure this cpu mod could help in making using a modded version of that game even better

7 hours ago, Onaga said:

Hey there,

I finally finished my 1,4Ghz HDD (2TB).

I want to share this list for those who have a 1,4Ghz or 1,5Ghz consol and are working on a HDD as well. It might be not 100% perfect but I'm really proud to have a HDD like this.

Attached is a list of all the content inside.

-686 Games patched, they all work perfect!

-57 Games that run too fast no matter how I patched.

-23 Games that didn't work no matter what.

-You can ignore "Systemlink" it's just a line for the games me and my friends play online most of the time.

-720p patch that worked really good in my opinion! I just kept 720p for those games that work smooth and stable.

-Including Homebrews, Retro Emulators (Full Pack), Ps1 Emulator with over 100 Games and some german exclusive games.

Yes I'm from germany and It was important for me to have some games (RPGS) in german language.

My XBox 1,4Ghz HDD.pdf 491.21 kB · 5 downloads

Nice work, man. I will definitely be referencing this in the future. What sort of PS1 games do you have on there? Howˋs the performance of PS1? 

20 hours ago, VanishedPants said:

Thats amazing you were able to get so many to work. I havent even considered doing a cpu mod because i thought i wouldnt get alot of games to play on it. One i am curious about is how well does elder scrolls 3 morrowind work on it? I know you had listed it but wondered how much time you spent in the game after the cpu mod. I read that there are ways to mod morrowind for the xbox as well and i figure this cpu mod could help in making using a modded version of that game even better

Thanks! Morrowind works perfect! Both, english and german version. 720p Patch is awesome as well. Didn't test any other mods for the game yet.

I spent around 1h in the game... not very much but enough to tell it's awesome!

You can check this, there is some footage of Morrowind in 720p.

18 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Nice work, man. I will definitely be referencing this in the future. What sort of PS1 games do you have on there? Howˋs the performance of PS1? 

Depends on the emulator.

PCSX-ReloadedX is greate for Fighting Games. You can basically watch the whole end of the video... of course it's in german but you get some really good footage between

PCSX-ReloadedX and PCSXbox v23 emulator.

I would recommand PCSXbox v23... sometimes it's even better to turn of the FPS Limit.... but only sometimes.