OGXbox.com

Help Needed with X3 Modded Halo Edition Console

DamonC

Looking for help with my modded Xbox. I had this done by someone (can’t remember who) back in 2005/2006 and I haven’t started it up in over 5 years. I have tried a lot of button combos and it won’t boot up. It won’t even boot up in regular mode either. No matter what I do it turns on then Immediately shuts back off. It is a Halo edition with the X3 and control panel like the one pictured above. Any help would be appreciated. Also looking for recommendations for someone that could repair it if necessary.

2 hours ago, DamonC said:

Looking for help with my modded Xbox. I had this done by someone (can’t remember who) back in 2005/2006 and I haven’t started it up in over 5 years. I have tried a lot of button combos and it won’t boot up. It won’t even boot up in regular mode either. No matter what I do it turns on then Immediately shuts back off. It is a Halo edition with the X3 and control panel like the one pictured above. Any help would be appreciated. Also looking for recommendations for someone that could repair it if necessary.

Looks like you have a 1.6 version of the Halo edition.

Check for a mounting post below the serial number sticker on the bottom of the console. (Since the case is translucent, you can see through it to note the absence or presence of the mount.) (https://imgur.com/a/HM6PU)

If it's a 1.6, the SMD transistor between the Xyclops chip and clock cap most likely needs to be replaced. 

To test and fix, watch Floydzabarber's YouTube video titled: Original Xbox version 1.6 won't power on fix.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:30 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Check for a mounting post below the serial number sticker on the bottom of the console. (Since the case is translucent, you can see through it to note the absence or presence of the mount.) (https://imgur.com/a/HM6PU)

If it's a 1.6, the SMD transistor between the Xyclops chip and clock cap most likely needs to be replaced. 

To test and fix, watch Floydzabarber's YouTube video titled: Original Xbox version 1.6 won't power on fix.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:30 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Thanks for the help and sorry for the late response, I’ve been out of town. I checked and I do have the mounting post. I watched the video and don’t think I have the skills to do this. Do you know of any good reputable people who could fix this and possibly put a bigger HD in at the same time? While I’m getting this done are there any other improvements I could make?

F6A45F6F-1D53-4B63-9DF3-437950A983C5.jpeg

I'm sure there are several people on this web site that can fix the power on problem and upgrade the hard drive.  The only problem is getting the console to someone near you.  Shipping each way for the console in the U.S. runs about $20 maybe more.

The old thermal paste needs to be cleaned off of the CPU, GPU  and associated heatsinks and replaced. Dust and other contamination inside the case removed and all the electrolytic caps need to be checked for leakage or bulging and if found, replaced with new ones.

Even though the 1.6's clock cap was a higher quality than previous versions of the console, the 3 ultra-low ESR electrolytic caps next to the power supply connector on the 1.6's motherboard are not. :(  Many are found to be leaking an orangish-brown goo out the top which can cause a multitude of problems.

Check and if needed, the DVD drive laser lens cleaned, not really necessary as the hard drive should be used for applications; cough, cough, ahem games; instead of the DVD drive and/or the eject belt replaced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2019 at 3:43 PM, KaosEngineer said:

I'm sure there are several people on this web site that can fix the power on problem and upgrade the hard drive.  The only problem is getting the console to someone near you.  Shipping each way for the console in the U.S. runs about $20 maybe more.

The old thermal paste needs to be cleaned off of the CPU, GPU  and associated heatsinks and replaced. Dust and other contamination inside the case removed and all the electrolytic caps need to be checked for leakage or bulging and if found, replaced with new ones.

Even though the 1.6's clock cap was a higher quality than previous versions of the console, the 3 ultra-low ESR electrolytic caps next to the power supply connector on the 1.6's motherboard are not. :(  Many are found to be leaking an orangish-brown goo out the top which can cause a multitude of problems.

Check and if needed, the DVD drive laser lens cleaned, not really necessary as the hard drive should be used for applications; cough, cough, ahem games; instead of the DVD drive and/or the eject belt replaced.

Thanks sent you a message.

• KaosEngineer changed the title to Help Needed with X3 Modded Halo Edition Console
  • 1 year later...