OGXbox.com

XBox Original Warm Hours After Being Turned Off

I got an xbox cheap as the drive didn't open - easy fix I thought and was delighted to find it was indeed an easy fix and that the drive worked.  I turned it off and came back 6 hours later to find it was quite warm on the side where the power supply is located inside the xbox.  Is this normal or something to worry about?  Thanks in advance.

Check the manufacturer of the power supply. Is it a Foxlink PSU? Might be a bad time. Those ones are known to be fire hazards. 

One thing I’ve noticed with them in particular is that the two connections right where you plug the power cable in will spark and scorch. You can see this easily by removing the hard drive cage. 

• 1 year later...

The power supply unit  is never completely off. It has a section that is always on when AC power is connected. It's the standby power for the clock circuitry and System Management Controller's soft power on/off for the rest of the console implemented in the Xyclops chip for a v1.6 or PIC processor for a v1.0-1.5 revision of the Xbox.

I found the version 1.6 power supply would test around 40c after overnight in standby mode  using a infrared thermometer and the 1.0 -1.4 would be around 25c.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.