OGXbox.com

No Tsop Chip

Magicaldave

Hey guys! A friend brought me a dead console he found somewhere. 

I can’t post any pictures at the moment, but it looks to be a 1.5. 

It... doesn’t have a TSOP chip for some reason. In fact, the pads for it have been removed altogether. 

Can anything be be done with this? I have an old Xecuter 2.1 lite I could slap in if it’s worth the trouble. The chip’s been laying around for quite a while anyway. 

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

According to how damaged the traces are in and around the LPC debug port and TSOP, the console may still boot from an LPC connected modchip.

Do you know if an X2.1Lite will boot on a 1.5? 

I can’t attach a screenshot atm but I have an old modchip list that shows this chip doesn’t work on consoles past the 1.2 rev. 

Maybe just because of changes to the LPC, though?

From the old xbox-scene.com modchip table, I'd say it will not work on a 1.4/1.5 console.  It may only be because the BIOS preflashed to it is not compatible with the later models. Or, LPC signal removal and/or changes Microsoft made between 1.2 to 1.3 or later revision motherboards.  Most likely the later.

Purchase a newer Aladdin XT plus 2 clone (aka XT 4032) modchip for USD$4-5 from eBay.com or AliExpress.com

Hm. Guess it’s time to learn how to work on an Aladdin chip. They look a lot easier than this 10-wire BS anyway. 

Edit: would you happen to have a link on the 1.5 LPC rebuild? I know it’s not as involved as a 1.6 but still has to be done, right?

Edited by Magicaldave

So I mentioned in another thread the existence of a 1.5 console and MAN did I get a response. I had no idea they were rare to the point of being nonexistent. 

Full disclosure: I bought this at Vintage Stock as a practice board and an attempted flash turned into no pads. I’m an amateur with poor equipment, what can i say? This is just to say that I busted the warranty stickers on this console myself. Here’s comparisons between this and a known 1.4. 

Seemed pretty late in the game to be a 1.4, hence my original conclusion. Please do make any corrections!

EDIT: The console in question here is the one manufactured in 2004. The 2003 is a 1.4 for sure.

Edited by Magicaldave

1 hour ago, TEK Nemesis said:

OMG!  Those pads!!!  Where have they gone!?!  Cool looking 6.3v caps.

Welp. It started with a bad flash. I used the Winbond option in HeXen, I think I use EvoX M8+, and the thing immediately FRAG’ed after. 

So I thought, lacking a compatible modchip, I’d just swap the TSOP from a 1.1 that was long dead before I got it. This went great until I realized the chip I was trying to install had roughly twice or more pins than the original. 

So I tried to put the original one back. Then I lost a pad. Then I lost a couple more. At one point one of the traces from the pads started to lift, so I just got pissed and scraped them all off since an Aladdin was far less expensive than the epoxy I’d need to fix them. 

Pretty much left for dead since then as I’ve got more than enough systems to play around with. I also learned that day that a soldering iron is NOT the solution to all your problems, haha. 

The only difference between an alleged 1.4 and 1.5 is a ground on the lpc being detached from the pad. Nothing you've shown here looks any different from any other 1.4. Even if the ground weren't attached, we couldn't trust that it was a 1.5 as the board has been royally screwed. It's a 1.4. There has never been a 1.5 seen and there never will be, because they've never existed. It's just like aliens or sasquatch. People want to believe it so badly in spite of ANY evidence....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OGXbox Admin said:

The only difference between an alleged 1.4 and 1.5 is a ground on the lpc being detached from the pad. Nothing you've shown here looks any different from any other 1.4. Even if the ground weren't attached, we couldn't trust that it was a 1.5 as the board has been royally screwed. It's a 1.4. There has never been a 1.5 seen and there never will be, because they've never existed. It's just like aliens or sasquatch. People want to believe it so badly in spite of ANY evidence....

Like I mentioned in the other thread on this, I previously had no context for the rarity of a 1.5. Funnily enough even in the condition it’s in, the LPC clearly has the characteristics of a 1.4. 

I really want to know more about this though, because it seems that based on what you explained in C64’s thread it’s impossible for the LPC to have such characteristics AND have a fully programmed TSOP chip. So if the board has to satisfy an impossible set of conditions it’s no wonder one hasn’t been confirmed. We might as well say 1.5 Xboxes have 10GbE and 2080 TIs packed in.

But if these conditions are impossible then how has anyone determined what the characteristics of a 1.5 ARE? I see your argument in that it’s likely just misuse of a meter in some fashion or another but I struggle even to wrap my head around that. 

And if there’s no 1.5, how is there a 1.6? One would expect that in that event that we just call them 1.5 and 1.5b and skip the designation nonsense if these are arbitrary. So M$ designed but did not produce a 1.5 board, maybe because the design couldn’t be produced? 

It makes more sense to me that we’re just not identifying them properly. But even that argument holds very little water after almost 20 years and the incredible amount of fact-finding that has been done. 

We’ve managed to track down everything from Hello Kitty Xboxes to that Orange Halo exclusive to that one filled with, uh, was it jelly beans?

But in all that time and hunting nobody’s been able to accurately identify a standard console that was, in theory, intended for mass production to sit on store shelves. Totally believable. 

So the version numbers are NOT what MS used. They are what the modding community came up with. So this one particular person claimed they had an xbox with the ground on the lpc removed. He took pictures of himself measuring the lpc and it DID appear to not be connected... but everything else was the same. So they gave him the 1.5 designation. Pretty much every modchip maker at the time knew the manufacturing process because Xbox Linux discovered it. So nobody believed that 1.5 existed... because it couldn't. It was just that one guy pressing too hard on the trace with his probe and he cut the trace. It's easy to do. So that should clear up the whole... version nonsense. Your assumption was that MS intended to release the 1.5. That's just not the case. They never said so and there has never been one discovered. So there is no evidence it was ever supposed to exist or ever existed. It's one guy's mistake or attention grab that has now turned into a hoax.

Next, Unleash X reports it as 1.4 or 1.5. It can't just say... 1.5. You're right in that there would be no way for it to detect it. Remember, the only thing anyone has to go on is what that one guy told them. That is that it was EXACTLY like a 1.4 but with a trace removed from the lpc. There's no way to determine that through a program. So it wouldn't just say "1.5". So you're mistaken on that. It said 1.4 or 1.5 because it wouldn't be able to tell them apart if they did exist. Since 1.5 doesn't exist... there is no telling them apart at all.