OGXbox.com

Upgraded Hard Drive Using Hdm - Can't Find Extra Space

C64MidRezzie

So I used HDM v1.9 and created a new xbox hard drive (40GB) that works.  However, I don't see the extra space when I turn it on - it isn't softmodded yet.  I'm just wondering if I should put the hard drive back in the PC and create a F Folder using HDM.  Will the F folder naturally partition the rest of the available space on the drive or will the ROCKY 5 softmod make all the extra available space in the E drive?  Any advice greatly appreciated.

You will not see the extra space in the MS dashboard.  Only after you mod the console, soft or hard mod, and have a replacement dashboard installed will the F drive show up (if enabled in the dashboard's settings).

Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool will install the replacement dashboard UnleashX.

After initial installation, you can change to a different replacement dashboard if you find another one you'd prefer to use.

29 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

You will not see the extra space in the MS dashboard.  Only after you mod the console, soft or hard mod, and have a replacement dashboard installed will the F drive show up (if enabled in the dashboard's settings).

Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool will install the replacement dashboard UnleashX.

After initial installation, you can change to a different replacement dashboard if you find another one you'd prefer to use.

Thanks should I put the hard drive back in the pc - open HDM and create the F drive before I softmod it?

Nah. At this point you don’t need the Pc at all. Softmod the console, you should see the space. 

If you don’t for some reason, use XBpartitioner to create the F:/ partition or just extend E:/. 

Keep in mind extending the E:/ partition will destroy all, if any, data stored in it. 

• Like 1

No need to connect it to the PC again. 

I know that later versions of XboxHDM, namely XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or Beta 3, prompt you to format the F and/or G drives when working with a larger than 8GB hard drive.  But, there are many ways to format the extended partitions, F and/or G drives, in the Xbox.  G is not required for hard drives up to 1TB in size.

17 minutes ago, Magicaldave said:

Nah. At this point you don’t need the Pc at all. Softmod the console, you should see the space. 

If you don’t for some reason, use XBpartitioner to create the F:/ partition or just extend E:/. 

Keep in mind extending the E:/ partition will destroy all, if any, data stored in it. 

Brill thanks for that!

On 5/25/2019 at 9:29 PM, KaosEngineer said:

No need to connect it to the PC again. 

I know that later versions of XboxHDM, namely XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or Beta 3, prompt you to format the F and/or G drives when working with a larger than 8GB hard drive.  But, there are many ways to format the extended partitions, F and/or G drives, in the Xbox.  G is not required for hard drives up to 1TB in size.

Thanks - could you recommend some of these programs?  Thanks

XBPartitioner v1.3, UnleashX can have format items added to the menu if not already present.  They are generally protected with a password, Xbox, that must be entered before you can select the options to format the F and/or G drives (partition 6 and/or 7).

Format Menu excerpt from an example UnleashX config.xml file:

<Menu>

...other menu items to be listed before Format Menu...

<List Text="Format Menu" Sort="Off" Auto="On" Password="Xbox">
        <Item Action="Format" Arg1="X">Format X Drive</Item>
        <Item Action="Format" Arg1="Y">Format Y Drive</Item>
        <Item Action="Format" Arg1="Z">Format Z Drive</Item>
        <List Text="Format F Drive" Sort="Off" Batch="True">
            <Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="Format">Are you sure you want to format Drive F?</Item>
            <Item Action="MessageBox" Arg1="Format">Press OK to proceed with the format operation.</Item>
            <Item Action="Format" Arg1="F">Format F Drive</Item>
        </List>
        <List Text="Format G Drive" Sort="Off" Batch="True">
            <Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="Format">Are you sure you want to format Drive G?</Item>
            <Item Action="MessageBox" Arg1="Format">Press OK to proceed with the format operation.</Item>
            <Item Action="Format" Arg1="G">Format G Drive</Item>
        </List>
        <List Text="Format E Drive" Sort="Off" Batch="True">
            <Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="Format">Are you sure you want to format Drive E?</Item>
            <Item Action="Format" Arg1="E">Format E Drive</Item>
        </List>
    </List>

...other menu items to be listed after Format Menu...

</Menu>

Forgot to mention: if using UnleashX to format a new larger HDD, it will only use 16KB or 32KB cluster allocations so the largest partition it can PROPERLY format is from 257 to 512GB's not a 1GB partition needed when using a 2TB hard drive.

Cluster allocation size to partition size usage:

- 16KB cluster allocation 129GB to 256GB partition
- 32KB cluster allocation 257GB to 512GB partition
- 64KB cluster allocation 513GB to 1024GB (1TB) partition

To properly format a 2TB hard drive, you must use XBPartitioner v1.3.