OGXbox.com

Sd card To ide adapter

fagito

10 hours ago, fagito said:

https://www.amazon.com/Card-Adapter,SD-Memory-Adapter-Converter/dp/B08SK4G7RP

So why not? With a CD drive delete and no ide cable this would create lots of room for mods . And being able to take out the SD and load stuff seems faster. And is cheaper than most of the HDD options .  

Just keep in mind that the HDD caddy is designed to be a part of the heatsink assembly and to direct air through the GPU and CPU heatsinks. I would try using Compact Flash, since it is really just IDE.

Also SD cards are far more expensive per TB than a HDD...... 

Cheapest 1TB SD card on Amazon UK = £89.99

Cheapest 1TB HDD (Generic unbranded HDD) = £19.86

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD = £47.99

SD cards just aren't worth it in an Xbox. In other consoles with an ODE installed they are the best option. I have an SD in my PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast, 3DO (has a HDD too) and my Gamecube.

• Like 1

I've done it and it works just fine.

This is the model I used: https://www.ebay.com/itm/291873933509

s-l1600.thumb.webp.38844c8d95a5ce0860b9213cdfe3f2b4.webp

Main thing to consider is that SD cards are less reliable than hard drives or SSDs. If you get a good "industrial" SD card with high read/write durability, you should be fine, so long as you're not rewriting the entire card daily all the time.

Folks earlier mentioned performance. IDE isn't a difficult bus to saturate in the current era. I wouldn't say that's a drawback here. SD cards are plenty fast, and the adapter can keep up just fine. And of course, you get the benefit of instant seek times like with other solid state media.

These also don't support ATA security, so are not compatible with softmods. Aside from that, I found it convenient to be able to eject the SD card and put it into my laptop to manage stuff. Eaton was kind enough to update FATXplorer to support built-in SD card readers in laptops (as opposed to only external USB readers) after I reached out to him. Someone could even use an SD extension cable (like this) and make the card accessible without having to take apart the case each time.

The only large items you'll realistically be copying where it doesn't make sense to use FTP is games, and the entire Xbox library can fit in a 2TB hard drive. Beyond initial setup where you might have a HDD hooked up to a PC for better speeds, you might be copying a few hundred MB or a couple gigs at a time for other random stuff normally, so it doesn't make much sense to choose this over a mechanical drive, but sure you can do it. I had a 128GB SD card in one of my boxes for a long time and had zero problems. Your mileage may vary.

I also tried using it in place of my DVD drive, and while Cerbios claims to support dual-hard drives, there's no software that supports it so it's a no-go.

image.thumb.jpeg.f9caada3a6d19592cd54c6876e442791.jpeg

Edited by GoTeamScotch
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Also SD cards are far more expensive per TB than a HDD...... 

Cheapest 1TB SD card on Amazon UK = £89.99

Cheapest 1TB HDD (Generic unbranded HDD) = £19.86

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD = £47.99

SD cards just aren't worth it in an Xbox. In other consoles with an ODE installed they are the best option. I have an SD in my PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast, 3DO (has a HDD too) and my Gamecube.

I barely fill my 100gb drive. And in small size storage SDs come cheaper (10 to 20 for 250gb ).

So as a project with no need for huge storage space and maybe a slim mod this is great 

4 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Just keep in mind that the HDD caddy is designed to be a part of the heatsink assembly and to direct air through the GPU and CPU heatsinks. I would try using Compact Flash, since it is really just IDE.

The compact flash was something I saw on mvg. Its very expensive tho (at least here).. SD are expensive per tb but you can have 250gb plus adaptor for 50 euros . 

If you slim down your Xbox the air gets directed easily again and it's easy to make some airflow guides. 

At least with the caveman testing I did it didn't seem to get hotter than before.