OGXbox.com

Is It Possible To Build a Ide XBox Hard Drive In a Sata Pc?

C64MidRezzie

Is it possible to attach Xbox IDE hard drive to a windows 7 or later SATA PC and build the hard drive from a softmodded xbox or do I need to find a really old PC?  I know I used a Dell Optiplex years ago but I have it away to a mate a couple of years ago and he doesn't have it anymore.  If I need an old PC can anyone recommend a specific spec - as I might have to buy one second hand - thanks in advance.

I use a StarTech HDD duplicator that can do a sector by sector write.  (Mine is a SATDOCK2REU3.)  I use HDD Raw Copy Tool to write the HDD image.  The SATDOCK2REU3 is very flexible.  You can have it setup like a regular USB 3.0 device where Windows reads and writes to it.  It can work independent from a computer and perform 1:1 clones of existing HDDs.  You can make a copy (image) of the HDD on your computer and then write it to other HDDs.  Very cool toy.

3 hours ago, C64MidRezzie said:

Can I use Xbox hard drive maker v1.9 on a windows pc with the IDE drive in an external dock?

Thanks

Most likely not.  V1.9 requires the Xbox HDD to be connected as Primary MASTER on a native IDE port.

XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or 3 can be used to build an Xbox HDD on newer hardware and OSes (Windows 7-10).  The hard drive to be connected to the PC via a supported USB-to-HDD interface (be that IDE, SATA or a combination of both) adapter.  3.5" HDDs require using a power supply be it external or connecting it to a PC's spare Molex drive power connector since USB cannot provide enough power for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C64MidRezzie said:

Xbox HDM 23USB Beta 2 or 3  - I couldn't find an easy guide on youtube in English to follow - do you have any links to a written guide or a video guide? 

Don't have a tutorial for either.  They both seem very self-explanatory to me.

Update: As supplied, you need to be running a 64-bit version of Windows.  And, the hard drive has to be connected to the PC using a compatible/supported USB-to-HDD interface adapter.

Copy your Xbox's eeprom.bin file into the folder where you extract either version of XboxHDM23USB.  Run the startup batch file, xboxhd.bat.

Menu Options

1. List drives connected
2. Launch xboxhdm
3. Lock hard drive
4. Unlock hard drive
5. Check Lock Status (only available in Beta 3)

Use option 1 to make sure the software recognizes that the drive you plan to use for the Xbox HDD is connected.

Next,  Launch xboxhdm.  Once, QEMU finishes booting Linux, type in xboxhd to start the preparation process of the Xbox HDD.

Follow the onscreen menu to prepare a new HDD.  The software will format the hard drive for the Xbox and copy the files stored in the C and/or E drives on the PC.  Beta 2 requires adding the MS Dashboard files into the hdm/c folder while Beta 3 comes preconfigured to install a no-original-game-disc-required softmod installer, add no files to it's HDD_files/c folder.

After formatting and copying files to C and/or E if its a larger HDD than 8GBs, you will be prompted to format the extended partitions.  After formatting, exit back to the main menu and lock the hard drive. Check the lock status then exit XboxHDM23USB.

Install the hard drive into your Xbox.

• Like 1

Actually 2.5" SATA drives have the same connection as a 3.5" SATA drive.  It's a 2.5" IDE drive that uses a 44-pin connector for interface and power instead of a 40-pin IDE connector and 4-pin Molex of a 3.5" hard drive.

So, any compatible IDE-to-SATA adapter will work with a 2.5" SATA drive.

I suggest using a StarTech IDE2SAT2 or DeLock 61702.   However, the cheaper, HDE IDE-to-SATA adapters from Amazon can work too.  When buying the HDE adapter, purchase at least 2 and hope that at least one works. Many people have had DOA (dead on arrival) adapters. If either adapter is broken, contact the seller and insist on getting a replacement.

Also purchase an 80-wire 40-pin high-speed IDE cable.  Recommended length 24 inches.