OGXbox.com

XBoX Picture Won't Settle

Kura

Hi, it's been awhile since I've touched my XBOX.  

Background Information:
- It's either a 1.1 or a 1.2
- Gave it a thorough cleaning
- I bridged the solder points and TSOP flashed it with no issues
- Removed the time capacitor 
- It's connected to an OSSC via the Official Microsoft XBOX Component Cables
- I have a second XBOX that's also either a 1.1 / 1.2 that I did all the aforementioned things to that plays just fine.
- The XBOX was working fine for over a week

Issue:
- The XBOX turns on fine, and the Microsoft Introduction Plays
- The screen flashes once (as does my other one) before it tries to boot the HDD
- Usually right after the introduction, it used to load right into the Unleash X dashboard, but now the screen stays blank for a good 20-30 seconds before I see a very unstable image of Unleash X main menu go across the screen.
- It seems like the XBOX cannot hold the picture steady and keeps changing resolutions.

Things I tried:
- Replaced the 3x 6.3v 3300 capacitors near the CPU as one was bulging
- Used the official Microsoft XBOX Composite Cables that boots normally and the picture comes up fine

I'm not sure if it's just old and other things are going on the board.  All the other capacitors seem to be fine on the motherboard itself, although I haven't really looked at the PSU yet.  I'm mostly new to this so I'm not sure what to look for in terms of the composite working but not the component since both cables work fine on the other XBOX.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kura

The delay and the flicker may be two separate things. 

The delay could be caused by the BIOS selected.  It could be caused by the IDE to SATA adapter (if you have one installed).  If could be a problem with the HDD and/or how the HDD was setup (in XBpartitioner 1.3).

This flicker could be challenging to fix.  So, the official composite cables work fine and it is only a component issue...  With the same cables/setup, your other Xbox works perfectly.  So, there is definitely something "unique" happening in this problematic Xbox.  Try cleaning the grounding pads underneath the motherboard and the shielding beneath the motherboard where it makes contact.  There are more things to explore but we'll need more info from you.

What BIOS did you use?  What HDD and IDE to SATA adapter (if any)?  What exactly are the Xbox versions?  Does the problem persist after the dash has loaded?  What version of the dash are you using?  Have you tried other dashboards?  Are you forcing 480 and 720p in the dashboard?  Are you using an 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable?

Edited by TEK Nemesis

Sorry, here's additional information

- The dash never really loads to the point that I can control it.  I meant to say that when a picture finally does show after the Microsoft intro, it's just mere flashes of the Unleash X dashboard.  So I guess it's loaded in general, but I can't see it for more than half a second.
- I do not use an IDE to SATA adapter
- The working XBOX is 1.1 with Chip Type: ST M29F002BT70N1
- The problematic XBOX is 1.2 with Chip Type: Hynix HY29F002
- I flashed both XBOXes with the same BIOS; the one labeled EVOX F and G using the TruHexen2019 Disc
- Both XBOXes were softmodded with the King Roach tool on the TruHexen2019 Disc after the TSOP flash
- The UnleashX dashboard is the default one from the aforementioned softmod (on both XBOXes)
- I'm not forcing any resolutions

Additional troubleshooting
- Before I TSOP flashed it, they were both already softmodded with locked hard drives
- Both received the exact same model 500 gb Western Digital Blue IDE hard drive with a master jumper setting
- I swapped the new hard drives and both of the new 500gb IDE HDDs work in the old 1.1 XBOX, and both still have issues in the new 1.2 XBOX
- I put the original locked hard drive back into the problematic 1.2 XBOX and the same video issue happened (which loaded and contained a very old version of XBMC) on Component, composite worked like before

Things I've yet to try (that I'll do when I get home later tonight)
- I'll swap the IDE cables when I get home between the 2 XBOXes just in case it's something simple like that
- I'll clean the pads and shielding under the MoBo like you suggested

I haven't tried other dashboards.  I won't be able to get the exact version of the current dash until I get home and load up the working xbox.

Edited by Kura

Yes NTSC XBOX and NTSC LED Samsung TV.

Ah yes I forgot I tried to load the TruHexen2019 disc as well but on Component only.  Same exact issue, the except it’s of course the Hexen menu that flashes on screen.

I’ll try to take a pic of the mobo later as well and a video of the actual occurrence.

Edited by Kura

7 minutes ago, Kura said:

Yes NTSC XBOX and NTSC LED Samsung TV.

Ah yes I forgot I tried to load the TruHexen2019 disc as well but on Component only.  Same exact issue, the except it’s of course the Hexen menu that flashes on screen.

Is it possible to try the Xbox with a different component cable running directly to the TV's component ports?  (Even if you need to bring it to a friend's TV.)

1 hour ago, Kura said:

ill bypass the OSSC and can probably try a different LED tv

Just fault-finding at this point.  The problem is probably within the Xbox but it is good to go through a few of these steps to to confirm.  If you don't eliminate these possibilities then you risk going down rabbit holes when you open up the Xbox.  Let us know what you find out.

No such luck on any of those.

Both sets of component cables don't work on the problem XBOX, but work fine on the working XBOX on both NTSC televisions with and without the OSSC.

I cleaned the pads again under the mobo but nothing.

I forgot to take a pic of the mobo which I'll try to do later today.

That was one of my initial troubleshoots.

I put the good one into the broken one, same picture issue.

I put the original locked softmodded hard drive in there too and same picture issue.

If it never worked after the TSOP flash it would make sense, but working for a week and then breaking is throwing me for a loop.  It never moved from the spot and I never opened it back up after the fact.  Unless just being in the box for 3 years, then being on/off for a week started degrading something on the board, I'm not sure. what else.

Thanks for the replies btw.

You don't need to install a softmod after the TSOP is flashed with a modified BIOS.

One or the other modding techniques should be installed not both at the same time.

TSOP flash acts as a hardmod install.  No softmod necessary. More often than not, you'd see a blank black screen when you expect to see the replacement dashboard's menu displayed.