OGXbox.com

Ssd Boxes Don't Load Dash - Every Other Time

Magicaldave

Hey guys!

I've got a couple boxes I threw some SSDs into recently and they don't load the dash, but as it says on the tin, only every OTHER time I turn it on.

Startup works normally up until AFTER the "X" logo. 

Either the LED will stay solid green, and the screen will just be completely black forever (to be fair, only ever left it for about and hour while I was doing other stuff for giggles) OR the LED goes solid red like I've set it and loads UnleashX A-okay. Things both run like a champ in this state, haven't seen anything unusual, even the temps are great with stock paste.

This happens with:

- 2 brand new ADATA ASU655SS-480GT-C units, both of which were cloned from an IDE-based box with a 750GB seagate. The system they were cloned from was 1.6, softmodded with SID5, then upgraded to Rocky5. No issues on that console. These drives have NOT been tested in other functional consoles. Yet.

- Three 80-wire IDE cables, two of which were running active duty in other consoles prior to testing and one of which died for some reason during the test.

- Four IDE-SATA adapters - an HDE, a Startech IDE2SAT, and 2 Startech IDE2SAT2s (I haven't gone through the trouble of comparing ALL adapter and cable combos but at this point I don't think it matters)

- A 1.4 and 1.6 version console

- UnleashX Version 0.39.0528A Build 584, as installed by Rocky5's softmod

The fact that the LED stays green on the failed boot seems like the system somehow things everything is normal and the SSD has just... stopped? Somewhere? I'm not sure. I think maybe this could be related to the BIOS or DVD drive, as both consoles are only softmodded.

I plan to TSOP the 1.4 anyway, but I can't TSOP the 1.6 or (easily) remove its DVD drive, which I'm not inclined to do anyway as it works great. Wondering if anyone had some suggestions I perhaps haven't tried yet.

Thanks so much for any and all assistance!

You could try adding delays into the font loading. 

When the console boots properly, run the NKPatcher Settings app and change the number of delays.  Reboot and see if it starts consistently booting into the dashboard.  If not, add another delay.  Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool's NKPatcher Settings app can add a maximum of 5 delay files.

5.1.2 XTF Font Delay Options
Remove all:
Install 1 Delay file:
Install 2 Delay files:
Install 3 Delay files:
Install 4 Delay files:
Install 5 Delay files:

17 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

You could try adding delays into the font loading. 

When the console boots properly, run the NKPatcher Settings app and change the number of delays. 

Didn't quite make it this far, but did manage to fix it! 

When I ran NKPatcher I took a look at the description for this and it mentioned that the "install kernel fonts" option should be used first. So, I did! Startup seems a bit slower after the X logo now but doesn't fail at any point as before. 

So strange. I have 8 working consoles in different places for different reasons, all cloned from the same original drive, but only ever saw this happen when I decided to move to SSD. Thanks Kaos and team!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/17/2019 at 6:57 AM, Magicaldave said:

Didn't quite make it this far, but did manage to fix it! 

When I ran NKPatcher I took a look at the description for this and it mentioned that the "install kernel fonts" option should be used first. So, I did! Startup seems a bit slower after the X logo now but doesn't fail at any point as before. 

So strange. I have 8 working consoles in different places for different reasons, all cloned from the same original drive, but only ever saw this happen when I decided to move to SSD. Thanks Kaos and team!

I can confirm installing the kernel font works. I'm using the green adapter (RXD-629A7-7 or JP103-5) people used to recommend, but I also have the red startech one coming in the mail soon and will update with results. The SSD is a Samsung 870 Evo 250 GB; everything else works but the Xbox would only boot to dash every other time until I installed the kernel font. Boot times are the same before and after at about 23 seconds from power to visual of the dashboard, which seems to be the same as the stock hard drive.

Are you using a 80way IDE cable?

In my view a SSD is not worth it in a Xbox as the speed is limited to a speed of a 5400rpm hard drive at best.

And I can get a brand new 2tb 2.5 inch hard drive locally for under $100 Aud.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

34 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Are you using a 80way IDE cable?

In my view a SSD is not worth it in a Xbox as the speed is limited to a speed of a 5400rpm hard drive at best.

And I can get a brand new 2tb 2.5 inch hard drive locally for under $100 Aud.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Yeah it's an 80-pin one but the cable is opposite orientation wise to the original cable so I need to plug the black end into the motherboard for the other end to be able to reach the hard drive. I ordered a second cable just in case but it appears like it would be the same situation. I needed to change the jumper depending on which way I had the cable going, either Master for black side motherboard or Cable Select (remove jumper) for blue side motherboard. Reviews on amazon for the first one that I'm currently using seem mixed, with some saying it's perfect and others saying it's annoying. Maybe different Xbox revisions had a different IDE plug orientation on the motherboard? My Xbox is a 1.6 and the notch faces inwards on my board.

As for why I chose an SSD, there are few factors. For one I liked the idea of trying and bug testing it. I have seen a report on cut scenes in certain games crashing the system so I figured maybe if I run into any problems I can report on that for the community. I also wanted to confirm if they can be locked properly on a softmodded system, and at the least this 870 Evo 250GB can be cloned and locked just like a regular drive through Chimp. I believe all that is needed is ATA security support but I'm not 100% sure. Might be the AES 256 encryption support instead.

SSD's are low power and noise, and these days come with long warranties for cheap. $40-$70 USD for the 870 Evo with a 5 year warranty while for a similar HDD, also $40+, and usually far higher for an equivalent 5 year warranty. The WD Black Performance 500GB 3.5" for $56 did catch my eye for it's 5 year warranty and CMR recording so If I were to get an HDD it would probably be that one. I understand there can be wear and data rot issues with SSDs and I intend to see how these factors actually play out in the end. I don't intend on fully filling the SSD so I think wear leveling should be ok, but if it's not I want to find out.

Edited by TrantaLocked

As long as the SSD is set to master it will not matter what the direction of the IDE cable is, So if the HDD is on the end of the IDE cable it needs to be master.

I tested a 1tb Evo SSD and after a week It was removed and now lives in the Xbox One And I have also tried a SD card to IDE but that was also short lived because of the cost of SD cards.

As for noise a new 2tb 2.5 inch disk drive is just as quite (Unless you have your ear on it) and the current drawn is the same as a SSD.

The current cost of a 2tb 2.5 inch here is $89 Aud = $69 Usd.

Cheers

SS Dave

47 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

As long as the SSD is set to master it will not matter what the direction of the IDE cable is, So if the HDD is on the end of the IDE cable it needs to be master.

I tested a 1tb Evo SSD and after a week It was removed and now lives in the Xbox One And I have also tried a SD card to IDE but that was also short lived because of the cost of SD cards.

As for noise a new 2tb 2.5 inch disk drive is just as quite (Unless you have your ear on it) and the current drawn is the same as a SSD.

The current cost of a 2tb 2.5 inch here is $89 Aud = $69 Usd.

Cheers

SS Dave

Does SMR make a difference? I thought maybe with how Xbox writes cache often it could make a difference but I suppose the speed at which the CPU can write will be slower than an SMR drive in worst-case re-write scenario, not to mention the cache these drives have. That was one of the things keeping me from getting a 2.5" because almost all of them are SMR now.

Edited by TrantaLocked