OGXbox.com

Requiring Replacement IDE Ribbon

properauthority

Can someone recommend where I can buy a replacement IDE ribbon that...

- is the right length

- has connectors at appropriate spots for both optical drive and HDD

I am located in British Columbia, Canada on the far west coast.

And lastly, if I'm using a stock HDD will it work with a 80pin ribbon instead of a stock 40pin? Lastly, will I get faster speeds with the 80pin?

Thanks

Edited by properauthority

Any 40 pin(not 80pin) cable will work. The other cables you're referring to is a 40 pin, 80 wire cable. The extra 40 wires are to accommodate speeds up to ATA 133 I believe. You only need the 80 wire cables if you're converting to a SATA HDD using a SATA to IDE adapter. It does allow faster transfer speeds, but won't show any level of performance gains in game. 

You may as well upgrade to an 80 wire, as you will need to replace the aging IDE HDD with a SATA one at some point anyway... 

Getting one that is an exact replacement for the stock one is difficult, there were a few people making them and selling on Etsy/eBay a while back but I don't know if that is still the case. The other option is to "borrow" one from another broken Xbox. 

I have used the generic 80 wire yellow ones that are on Amazon/eBay many times before, you will need to do some clever folding to make it fit correctly tho. 

4 hours ago, properauthority said:

Can someone recommend where I can buy a replacement IDE ribbon that...

- is the right length

- has connectors at appropriate spots for both optical drive and HDD

I am located in British Columbia, Canada on the far west coast.

And lastly, if I'm using a stock HDD will it work with a 80pin ribbon instead of a stock 40pin? Lastly, will I get faster speeds with the 80pin?

Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264826912888

https://ogxstore.com/product/custom-80-conductor-ide-cable/

What I would do is make sure (as these two links ensure) that you have the proper connector orientation. Standard 80-wire IDE cables have connectors facing in the opposite direction, with the placement of those connectors not only facing the wrong direction, but being placed on the wrong ends. This means that Cable Select does not work properly and the priority jumper on the HDD must be used to manually set device priority. The cables I have provided the links to have their connectors oriented properly, and are the correct length. Using a standard cable will require doubling back behind the optical drive, multiple folds and messy origami. I've done it plenty of times, but no more. The proper cables are a bit expensive, but worth the tidiness and lack of a hassle.

However, if you are unable to find one of the Xbox direct replacements in Canada, a regular 80-wire IDE cable will work. You just need to do some creative folding here... :

ide-cable.jpg

Marty is correct. Using one will not just magically make your speeds increase. You will need to install something that can make use of it, as well as a bios configured to enable it.

https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5523 

A 40 wire cable is good for UDMA-2, which is stock speeds for this console. If you would like to use UDMA-4,5, or even 6, you will need an 80 wire. This is because faster speeds that UDMA-2 cause crosstalk and interference to occur and this is cancelled out by having individual grounds for each positive lead. 

What are your goals for this HDD upgrade? Do you really plan on using a stock HDD?

5 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

What I would do is make sure (as these two links ensure) that you have the proper connector orientation. Standard 80-wire IDE cables have connectors facing in the opposite direction, with the placement of those connectors not only facing the wrong direction, but being placed on the wrong ends. This means that Cable Select does not work properly and the priority jumper on the HDD must be used to manually set device priority. 

All that may be true but I've never had any issues with the standard 80 wire cables myself. Never fiddled with any jumpers on my HDD's either......... :)

Okay, so in my search for a suitable replacement I am requiring the following criteria...

- 24"

- 40 or 80 pin

How do I ensure I'm getting search results that have 2 ribbon "ports?" (They are referred to as master and slave, right?)

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks

43 minutes ago, properauthority said:

Okay, so in my search for a suitable replacement I am requiring the following criteria...

- 24"

- 40 or 80 pin

How do I ensure I'm getting search results that have 2 ribbon "ports?" (They are referred to as master and slave, right?)

Thanks

Pretty much any IDE cable will have the two ports you are looking for, so I wouldn't worry about that part. 24 inches is ideal, since you wont have a long ide ribbon snaking around and requiring more folds than you really should have. However, if you don't get one of the ribbons designed with Xbox in mind (like those two listings), you will need a ribbon a bit longer since you will have to double back behind the DVD drive. Those listings are examples of the special type of orientation needed for a perfect fit on the console, since the IDE design there is both backwards and mirrored. Just something to keep in mind.

Yes, there is a "Master" and "Slave" position on an IDE cable. These are designated on the ribbon in standard spots, if the specific cable supports it. However, normal IDE cables will have the "Motherboard", "Slave" and "Master" positions in the opposite order, so Cable Select will not work. Your HDD SATA adapter or physical IDE drive will need to be set to "Master" manually. The DVD drive is internally set to "Slave".

This is reinforced here, by the master himself. 😛

2 hours ago, properauthority said:

- 24"

- 40 or 80 pin

Thanks

It’s always 40 pin, but 80 wire, as opposed to 40 pins with 40 wires.