Jump to content
OGXbox.com

Wanting to upgrade my HDD


J_Shot626
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey gang. So I’m wanting to upgrade my Hard drive and am about to install a project stellar mod chip with HDMI bundle. I have a version 1.0 motherboard. Any suggestions on good hard drives for me? I wanna download as many games and emulators as possible so I’d prefer a bigger hard drive. Also do you think a ram upgrade would be necessary?

Edited by J_Shot626
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know very little about the Stellar stuff. I have a WD20EZBX in 2 of mine, and they work great. I put a 3TB HGST HUS724030ALA640 in another last month and it worked good as well, however I wont be getting another one, it's just too loud. I ran a hdd health test with CrystalDiskInfo and Samsung Magician, which I have installed for my OS drive, and it is indeed a new drive, basically zero hours, no errors. I knew it was going to be loud as it's server grade, but I just can't deal with it.

I want to stay with a 7200rpm for my next 4TB build, but the prices really go up when you start getting into the larger drives. The WD40EZAX is only 5400rpm, but is CMR, so maybe it will balance out for the speed reduction? The 3TB is a good starter size, but it doesn't have room for all the demos, kiosks, etc. And I've been reading reports of issues with a few CCI games at 5400rpm, as the official compatibility list was made with an ssd. Would a 5400/CMR vs a 5400/SMR make enough difference in those games to reduce the chance of the issues? What about 7200/SMR vs 5400/CMR?

If you can install the flex cable on the hdmi, you can do the ram, I've never done either. I would check if Stellar supports 128MB, it may, I've just never looked into it. The extra ram would not benefit xbox games, but everything else could take advantage if supported. I know XBMC4Gamers does, and is a noticeable improvement, some homebrew, emulators, as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, J_Shot626 said:

Hey gang. So I’m wanting to upgrade my Hard drive and am about to install a project stellar mod chip with HDMI bundle. I have a version 1.0 motherboard. Any suggestions on good hard drives for me? I wanna download as many games and emulators as possible so I’d prefer a bigger hard drive. Also do you think a ram upgrade would be necessary?

I use Western Digital Blue 2TB drives in all my builds. They're fast, reliable, consistent with quality control, etc.

I installed RAM on my Stellar/HD+ build. As long as you are capable of it, then why not? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, J_Shot626 said:

Hey gang. So I’m wanting to upgrade my Hard drive and am about to install a project stellar mod chip with HDMI bundle. I have a version 1.0 motherboard. Any suggestions on good hard drives for me? I wanna download as many games and emulators as possible so I’d prefer a bigger hard drive. Also do you think a ram upgrade would be necessary?

RAM upgrade, nah.

CMR HDD is the way to go. Brand, almost all brands are OK for me. WD is crap with their misleading branding. Seagate has simple guide for CMR and SMR drives. 3TB you can fit all library of xbox games + emulators with plenty of space left. But you can snatch a bigger drive with virtually the same price.

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/products/cmr-smr-list/

Don't forget to re-lube GPU fan, it's serviceable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2024 at 2:11 PM, J_Shot626 said:

Hey gang. So I’m wanting to upgrade my Hard drive and am about to install a project stellar mod chip with HDMI bundle. I have a version 1.0 motherboard. Any suggestions on good hard drives for me? I wanna download as many games and emulators as possible so I’d prefer a bigger hard drive. Also do you think a ram upgrade would be necessary?

Almost any drive will work well and be speedy, but I would stay away from any drives referred to as designed for surveillance applications, and avoid WD Greens because they may cause stutter.

5400RPM drives are quietest. 7200RPM can be quiet too but they can also be super noisy with bearing whine, seek noise and vibration.   IMO the ideal drives are SSHDs. I've used a few and they are all quiet and fast. I have a 2TB Seagate desktop SSHD (ST2000DX001) at the moment.

Edited by tiertop
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tiertop said:

Almost any drive will work well and be speedy, but I would stay away from any drives referred to as designed for surveillance applications, and avoid WD Greens because they may cause stutter.

5400RPM drives are quietest. 7200RPM can be quiet too but they can also be super noisy with bearing whine, seek noise and vibration.   IMO the ideal drives are SSHDs. I've used a few and they are all quiet and fast. I have a 2TB Seagate desktop SSHD (ST2000DX001) at the moment.

All good advice. I did wanna share personally that I absolutely LOVE bearing whine, probably because I grew up in the 90s when things were nice and loud... and HDD clicky. Also, the weight distribution with a mechanical drive makes the console feel more balanced against the DVD drive and feel "right". Having an SSD makes it feel like something is "missing"... but this is just me. To each their own. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

All good advice. I did wanna share personally that I absolutely LOVE bearing whine, probably because I grew up in the 90s when things were nice and loud... and HDD clicky. Also, the weight distribution with a mechanical drive makes the console feel more balanced against the DVD drive and feel "right". Having an SSD makes it feel like something is "missing"... but this is just me. To each their own. :)

My first PC had a 20MB hard card. :)

SSHDs are hard drives with some flash memory that stores frequently accessed blocks. So the weight is there and they do have some noise, but they are usually quiet drives.

Edited by tiertop
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2024 at 4:26 PM, FrostyMaGee said:

My first pc had dual 5 1/4” floppy drives and 4kb of ram with no hdd. Lol. 

Mine came with dual 3.5" drives but switched one out for a 5.25" because that was a lot more useful.   Neighbor friend had an IBM PC XT with no HDD. Aside from the Apple II,  I think that's the oldest PC I've used.

Edited by tiertop
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tiertop said:

Mine came with dual 3.5" drives but switched one out for a 5.25" because that was a lot more useful.   Neighbor friend had an IBM PC XT with no HDD. Aside from the Apple II,  I think that's the oldest PC I've used.

I remember when the 3.5” came out. Lol. At the time I thought they were so much cooler than the 5 1/4”. Especially once high density disks. 1.44mb! Lol

i used an apple II a lot way back when. My dad had one of the old beige ibm XT that i used some. Those things were workhorses. He had older pc before that and it had a large separate 8” disk drive. That thing was massive. Not only the disks but the drive itself was the size of a vcr almost. Lol. I want to say it was an IBM as well.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always enjoyed western digital HDDs. Have owned a dozen. Have never seen one fail on its own. The one in my main xbox is 17 years old and still faithful. Haven't tried those "green" ones though, I can't believe they're as bad as people say.

On 5/13/2024 at 12:32 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

Having an SSD makes it feel like something is "missing

maybe for xbox but start using an SSD for your computer OS and you'll find there's no looking back

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Board Life Status


Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.