OGXbox.com

8164b Dvd Drive Solderless Adapter

sidocious

Will have to find stock of the chip too.  Seems the ATTiny11L is obsolete (0 stock available from many resellers) and the 12L is available in SOIC-8 (surface mount packaging).

The ATTiny13-20SU will most likely work. The 13's have a lot more features built-in than required for the adapter design and cost more: $0.97 (cut tape) or $0.99 (tube) each vs. $0.59 for the ATTiny12L.  The ATTiny13-20PU ($1.29 ea) is in an 8-pin DIP package for socket or thru hole installation while the -20SU is in a SOIC-8 package - surface mount.  The ATTiny13 operates on a supply voltage from 2.7-5.5Vdc and at a faster clock rate (20MHz max clock frequency) than either the 11L (2MHz max) or 12L (4MHz max).

47 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Will have to find stock of the chip too.  Seems the ATTiny11L is obsolete (0 stock available from many resellers) and the 12L is available in SOIC-8 (surface mount packaging).

The ATTiny13-20SU will most likely work. The 13's have a lot more features built-in than required for the adapter design and cost more: $0.97 (cut tape) or $0.99 (tube) each vs. $0.59 for the ATTiny12L.  The ATTiny13-20PU ($1.29 ea) is in an 8-pin DIP package for socket or thru hole installation while the -20SU is in a SOIC-8 package - surface mount.  The ATTiny13 operates on a supply voltage from 2.7-5.5Vdc and at a faster clock rate (20MHz max clock frequency) than either the 11L (2MHz max) or 12L (4MHz max).

As you said, I do not find ATTiny11L in any webshop. Just on Alibaba. I wrote for seller, and he gave me an offer for 20 pieces... 2.5$/ pieces + 22$ shipping cost... 😮:D

Finally, than I can use ATTiny13 too. It is 3.22$ here in Hungary. I'd like to build a test pcb.

4 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

@bluemeanie23 working on a PCB layout that can use either DIP-8 or SOIC-8 packaged ATTiny microcontrollers and unpopulated PCBs can be ordered online.  Not sure about availability to ship to your location though.

The first couple revs have a bug or two. I haven't seen the v1.3 update to fix the trace(s).

Than I'll waiting for news about that :) Thanks for everything :)

• 4 months later...

hi all if you have trouble finding dip chips you can use soic alternatives, i use these adapter boards in my detector designs and for some repairs too.

they work great some chips i use are not available in dip package any more, so i use these with soic chips, alibaba and other asian sites often claim to stock dip package chips but there are a lot of fakes around! better to get the right chip and adapt than buy 50 fake chips(been there done that).

i got some LF 357's that turned out to be anything but what they were supposed to be, those adapters are available in allsorts of sizes even for transistors too though they can be fiddly. 

download.jpg

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Bbsan said:

Hey guys,

just to make sure I‘m not heading into the wrong direction:

Is the purpose of this adapter to use the 8164B without a FW flash or only to provide an all in one PCB for the generic wiring mod?

The drive still requires customer firmware to be flashed to it.  The adapter allows you to connect the drive to the Xbox's DVD power/signal cable and takes signals from the 8164B drive and converts them to what the Xbox's System Management expects to see.

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 3/4/2023 at 1:05 PM, starbreaker said:

Would be nice if someone produced these. I got an 8164B. I would buy it.

Will's Console Modifications has manufactured new PCBs for the GDR-8164B. Its been available for a few years now. Link below. 👍

https://www.willsconsolemodifications.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&search=xbox&product_id=60

• Thanks 1