OGXbox.com

8164b Dvd Drive Solderless Adapter

sidocious

Dear Friends,

I try to find a solderless adapter for my 8164B DVD drive to use it in my Xbox, but there is no any chance to get the "Talismoon 8164 Solderless Adapter" anywhere on the internet. (as you see it on the pic).

I'd like to ask you, is there anyone, who has a complete schematics/PCB and a BIN file for "Atmel_Tiny12l" microprocessor? I think I try to build one for myself.

Thank you for your help!

BR: SiD

8164adaptertf8_zpsf22503a8.jpg

• Like 1

There's information on modding an LG GDR-8164b here: https://www.htmh.de/forum/thread/865-lg-gdr-8164-xbox8164-adapter/

Read through all the pages as there were slight modifications and better schematics provided in later pages.  I've only went through the first three of six pages.

You don't need an Atmel Tiny12L chip just some 24-30AWG insulated wire (Kynar insulated wire-wrap wire will work) , 1N4148 switching diodes, 1K Ohm resistors and a BC547 NPN transistor wired to the correct pads on the DVD drives controller board and the 12 pin header to mate with the Xbox's power/signal cable connector.  Plus, flashing the firmware so it can read original Xbox game discs - found at the usual place. :)

P.S. There is a board layout for the PCB you've shown or at least one very close to it.  I've not found the code to program the Atmel chip :( but with larry's mod you don't need it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

There's information on modding an LG GDR-8164b here: https://www.htmh.de/forum/thread/865-lg-gdr-8164-xbox8164-adapter/

Read through all the pages as there were slight modifications and better schematics provided in later pages.  I've only went through the first three of six pages.

You don't need an Atmel Tiny12L chip just some 24-30AWG insulated wire (Kynar insulated wire-wrap wire will work) , 1N4148 switching diodes, 1K Ohm resistors and a BC547 NPN transistor wired to the correct pads on the DVD drives controller board and the 12 pin header to mate with the Xbox's power/signal cable connector.  Plus, flashing the firmware so it can read original Xbox game discs - found at the usual place. :)

Great, Kynar is not problem, I have many :) And the firmware, I think I have it too. Just the soldering schematic what I do not have. Can you give me some more instruction? Pics? Anything? :D

Off: Are you the oldest elder one here? :) Congratulate to your knowledge :) Amazing.

The schematic diagram is on page 3 of the posted forum.

I've also attached it below:

8164-1.jpg.35cf540768f47b6f648d31cdb873017c.jpg

Source: https://www.htmh.de/attachment/354-8164-1-jpg/

After a bit of deductive reasoning, the "hier das schaltbild klick" translated to English "the picture - click" by Warlock-XBOX
on page 5 of the forum to an image seems like it should show the one above but errs on the Wayback Machine to see it. (The current web site doesn't work either. It results in displaying a page not found error.)

Some other images from the previously posted forum:

8164 Schaltplan.jpg

dvd_buchse.jpg

8164b adapter.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Found a copy of the firmware here: http://www.xbox360-forum.de/lg-gdr-8164-b-firmware-flash-tool-8164b-firmware-6600.html

The Wayback Machine didn't seem to have a copy of it from the original source: 

http://www.xbox8164adapter.com/download/xbox8164flasher_v1.0.rar

There should be a copy of the firmware on xbins FTP server.

Attached here as well just in case other sites lose it:

xbox8164flasher_v1.0.rar

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluemeanie23 said:

Thank you, 8163B is not problem, cause I have a great tutorial from Menelik who was the first in this topic (http://xboxklub.hu/lg_gdr_8163b_drive_beszerelese_az_xbox_ba sorry it is in Hungarian language, cause I'm Hungarian and me and my friend translate it long time ago, I do not find the offical English version now). The hugest problem was the 8174B :)

All the info posted thus far has been about a SOLDERing required adapter not the TalisMoon solderless adapter. :(

I did find a post by @N64 freak some 4 1/2 years ago at assemblergames.com that just happened to have tutorials and other info to mod the Samsung SD-616T, LG GDR-8163B and GDR-8164B DVD drives for the ogXbox. Looks like the source code for the the xbox8164adapter is included. I've not completely deciphered the source code to verify if the pin 1 to LDOUT mod is supported.  I'm not sure if this assembler source code is for the now defunct www.xbox8164adapter.com's microcontroller but here it is [comments translated from German to English using translate.google.com]:

Note: The [ code ] ... [ /code ] tags seem to mess up the starting location of some of the lines, added additional spaces in front of them for some unknown reason,  and I can't edit inside the code section to remove them. I think all lines should start in the first column but maybe not.

; ***************************************************************************************
; * Control program for mapping the control signals of an LG-GDR8164 DVD drive *
; * for operation in an XBox Classic. *
; * *
; * created on 17.01.2007 by David Rummel *
; * last change on 25.01.2007 *
; * *
; * Version 0.9 *
; * *
; * This program is released under the GNU General Public License and *
; * may be distributed and changed under this license. *
; ***************************************************************************************
	; Includes ...
.include "8515def.inc"
	; Constant ...
.equ TRUE = 0x01
.equ FALSE = 0x00
	.equ LDIN = 0x04
.equ LDOUT = 0x20
.equ LDCD = 0x08
.equ LDVD = 0x10
.equ LDNOTHING = 0x00
	.equ LDOUT_TRAYOUT = 0x02
.equ LDOUT_READY = 0x01
.equ LDOUT_NOTHING = 0x00
	; Register definitions ...
.def Temp = R16
.def LD_INPUT = R17
.def LD_OUTPUT = R18
.def WAS_CLOSED = R19
	.org 0x0000
	; the output mask is set ...
ldi temp, 0x03
out DDRB, temp
	; the initial state of the DVD-ROM is set as "closed", should that not apply
; is the right already determined at the next loop pass ...
ldi WAS_CLOSED, TRUE
	; here begins the endless loop ...
LOOP:
	; read in which levels are applied to the individual pins, including the two outputs
in LD_INPUT, PINB
; read in which levels are present at the outputs ...
in LD_OUTPUT, PORTB
; subtracting the output values from the on + output values gives the input values ....
sub LD_INPUT, LD_OUTPUT
	; is only on the LDCD pin voltage on ...
cpi LD_INPUT, LDCD
; is a disk inserted ...
breq GT_IN_READY
	; same applies to the LDVD pin
cpi LD_INPUT, LDVD
breq GT_IN_READY
	; if there is no voltage on a pin, no CD is inserted ...
cpi LD_INPUT, LDNOTHING
breq GT_IN_NOCD
	; If the voltage is applied to the pin LDOUT, the drive is running straight or ...
cpi LD_INPUT, LDOUT
breq GT_MOVING
	; If the LDIN AND LDOUT pins are connected to the pins, the CD drawer is extended ...
cpi LD_INPUT, LDIN + LDOUT
breq GT_OUT
	; was none of the previous cases occurred is the CD / DVD just read ...
; (probably voltage to LDCD and LDVD)
rjmp GT_CHECK
	; is a CD / DVD inserted ...
GT_IN_READY:
; the corresponding output values are stored in the Temp register ...
ldi Temp, LDOUT_TRAYOUT + LDOUT_READY
; and spent ...
out PORTB, temp
; It also states that the drive is currently closed ...
ldi WAS_CLOSED, TRUE
; and it jumps back to the beginning ...
rjmp LOOP
	; analogously, for the states "drive empty" ...
GT_IN_NOCD:
ldi Temp, LDOUT_TRAYOUT
out PORTB, temp
ldi WAS_CLOSED, TRUE
rjmp LOOP
	; "CD / DVD is being read in" ...
GT_CHECK:
ldi Temp, LDOUT_NOTHING
out PORTB, temp
ldi WAS_CLOSED, TRUE
rjmp LOOP
	; and "CD drawer open" proceed ...
GT_OUT:
ldi Temp, LDOUT_NOTHING
out PORTB, temp
ldi WAS_CLOSED, FALSE
rjmp LOOP
	; when the drive is being opened or closed ...
GT_MOVING:
; still needs to be checked if the drive was just closed ...
cpi WAS_CLOSED, TRUE
; is that the case, go to GT_OPENING ...
breq GT_OPENING
	; otherwise the port will be set to show "Drive is closing" ...
ldi Temp, LDOUT_TRAYOUT
out PORTB, temp
rjmp LOOP
	; the drive is just opened ...
GT_OPENING:
; READY is issued ...
ldi Temp, LDOUT_READY
out PORTB, temp
; and it goes back to the beginning ...
rjmp LOOP

The assembled code in lg.hex to program the microcontroller. Is it to be a ATTiny11L, 12L or 13L?  

Plus a couple of pics already seen but attached here for completeness.

schaltplanoi1.jpg

Update: The source code above is not for the diagram above.  The code includes reading the LDVD status which this diagram does not use.

team8164adaptertf8.jpg

8164-1.jpg.93433067b9ae4a768df273486368404b.jpg

And, the LG GDR-8164B adapter firmware flasher (previously posted in this forum thread from a different source):

xbox8164flasher_v1.0.rar

Looks like this is different than the 8050L firmware used to reflash the LG GDR-8163B DVD drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still don't think it's quite right.  

DIP8 pin numbers

1       8
2       7
3       6
4       5

Why's 8 next to pin 5 and LDIN doesn't connect to pin 8.  Am I seeing it wrong?  Can you make pin 1 of the DIP8 package a square pad.  I see the silkscreen dot so assuming the pinout I've shown above for the PCB.  Pin 8 is 3.3Vdc power supply for the ATTIny11L, not LDIN. LDIN is either pin 2 or 3 can't see it from the RED pcb picture posted above but it's on the black and white PCB pics above connected to pin 2.

Also, silkscreen labels on top in ALL UPPERCASE or lowercase for the GDR-8164B PCB signal names.

Here's another schematic of the adapter.  Still uses a ATTiny13 but has one of the signal line names relabeled.  LDVD to pin 2 instead of LDIN.

1031918562_8164badapter-schematic2.png.e33bd7699f3f11f9449fe5736b44f647.png

Pin 3 of the ATTiny13 is now labeled LDVD instead of LDIN.

Source Code Check of All ATTiny13 Input and Output Signal Pins

Pin 1 - output - PB5 (0x20) of the ATTiny13, LDOUT, matches the source code:

.equ LDOUT = 0x20

Pin 2 - input - PB3 (0x08) of the ATTiny13, LDCD, matches the source code:

.equ LDCD = 0x08

Pin 3 - input - PB4 (0x10) of the ATTiny13, LDVD, matches the source code:

.equ LDVD = 0x10

Pin 4 = GND

Pin 5 - output - PB0 (0x01) of the ATTiny13, READY, matches the source code:

.equ LDOUT_READY = 0x01

Pin 6 - output - PB1 (0x02) of the ATTiny13, TRAYOUT, matches the source code:

.equ LDOUT_TRAYOUT = 0x02

Pin 7 - input - PB2 (0x04) of the ATTiny13, LDIN, matches the source code:

.equ LDIN = 0x04

Pin 8 - Vcc - 3.3Vdc source from GDR-8164B controller PCB pad.

The GDR-8164B receives power from the Xbox's 12-pin DVD Power and Signal cable:

• 5Vdc
  • 12Vdc, and
  • Ground.

With this adapter, the Molex power connector on the DVD drive is not used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That I don't know, the 8164 adapter from xbxo8164adapter.com ages ago used an ATTiny11L instead of a 13.   I'm not sure why there are many diagrams showing an ATTiny13 instead of the 11L.  The 11L runs off of 2.7-5.5Vdc (3.3Vdc in the diagrams) while the standard ATTiny11 from 4.0-5.5Vdc.

I'll need to download the ATTiny13's datasheet(s) that show all the different versions and see what I can determine from them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KaosEngineer said:

That I don't know, the 8164 adapter from xbxo8164adapter.com ages ago used an ATTiny11L instead of a 13.   I'm not sure why there are many diagrams showing an ATTiny13 instead of the 11L.  The 11L runs off of 2.7-5.5Vdc (3.3Vdc in the diagrams) while the standard ATTiny11 from 4.0-5.5Vdc.

I'll need to download the ATTiny13's datasheet(s) that show all the different versions and see what I can determine from them.

I see. okay, thanks for you time and work :)