OGXbox.com

Help Please, Emustation Newbie.

glassweezer

Hey guys, this is going to be a very newbie question, but I recently got an original xbox, softmodded it via rocky5 and installed emustation from a prebuilt model via his website.  I am having a problem though, when I ftp it over and go into emustation none of the emulators are showing up, when I look on the pc side of things they are there.  Am i doing something wrong?

Sorry if this is dumb questions, any help is appreciated.  I have the latest xbmc installed.

Thanks.

I'm new to this also, but i did get mine going. Not all the emulator folders have emulators in them. Did you add the roms to your emulator yet? When i put my roms i went into the menu and scannned all emulators. My XBMC-Emustation folder is on me E: drive and the roms and media are on the F: drive for me.

Edited by excaliburlives

On 5/1/2019 at 6:58 AM, glassweezer said:

Hey guys, this is going to be a very newbie question, but I recently got an original xbox, softmodded it via rocky5 and installed emustation from a prebuilt model via his website.  I am having a problem though, when I ftp it over and go into emustation none of the emulators are showing up, when I look on the pc side of things they are there.  Am i doing something wrong?

Sorry if this is dumb questions, any help is appreciated.  I have the latest xbmc installed. 

Thanks.

you need to add roms the the respective folders (ftp) and then scan all systems (in emustation menu)

3 hours ago, wikati said:

you need to add roms the the respective folders (ftp) and then scan all systems (in emustation menu)

I have added roms to their folders and scanned but nothing showed up, I will try try again.  I have to be missing something so simple, a slight on my end.

20 hours ago, glassweezer said:

I have added roms to their folders and scanned but nothing showed up, I will try try again.  I have to be missing something so simple, a slight on my end. 

what else have you done?

@Cian Cunningham put together a great quick tutorial on the FB group. I copied it.

check it out

Cian Cunningham:

(Artwork installed via the installer will also be used on xbmc4gamers)

Dont enable 1080i as it sucks too much ram and causes issues with the artwork installer.

Prebuilt xbmc-emustation link from GitHub

http://xbmc-emustation.com/.../_lates.../XBMC-Emustation.zip

So to set it all up FTP the pre built xbmc-emustation folder to the root of E. Don't build it yourself, that's only really for expert users that want to change source and recompile. Have all your xbox games in F/Games and/or G/Games. That's where the artwork install script looks for games. Go to settings on the carousel and then downloader, you might need to update the downloader under the update tab. Run the cache formatter from the downloader first (good practice). Download the artwork installer. You'll need 500mb free on E for it to download and extract. Go to settings and run the artwork installer script. Let it overwrite existing artwork when asked and allow it to use resources folders. Press start and do an auto scan of games or just select xbox to scan.

For emulator stuff, grab any emulators you can find on the downloader from the downloader as Rocky5 has set these up and has their saves in the emulator itself.

For artwork/videos and ROMs grab the resurrection xtras sets from here. Roms/Artwork and videos all need to be named the same to scan in to emustation. These are already set up like this so are drag and drop.

https://rappscallion.wixsite.com/ressurectionxtras/download

The emulator, media and roms folders inside XBMC-Emustation/. emustation need to be moved to a larger partition or you will run oit of space very quickly. Make a folder on the root of F or G called whatever you like, i call it XBMC-E and move these folders into it. This is where you will drop your artwork, videos and roms from resurrection xtras. Press start in the emustation dash and map these locations for emulators, media and roms so emustation knows where to find them.

Autoscan the games or scan per system when done FTPing. An auto scan can fix weird issues on the carousel so do one after yoi are fully set up.

N64 seems to have some issues on emustation so I would recommend to use the standalone Earthworm James Pack for n64 and set it as a custom tile (again press start and its on this menu). Google N64 transparent logo for an image for the carousel and then grab a fanart that is suitable, resize it to 853x480 and add blur if you are using the theme with blurred background images. I use a program called Irfanview for these small inage editing tasks. its free and good.

If you want to make it your default dash (Hard mod/TSOP):

Use John Conns dashloader. Take this default.xbe and name it evoxdash.xbe and replace your existing evoxdash.xbe on the root of C. I suggest naming your existing to something else to back it up just in case and then delete after you get xbmc4gamers to boot.

Dashloader xbe

https://github.com/.../nkpatcher/dashloader/default.xbe

If you are softmodded then use Rocky5's extras disc to update and old softmod or install his from scratch and the Dashloader is built into it already.

Xbox games artwork tips after installing:

Bear in mind that any xbox games with the same default.xbe will get the same artwork. So go through your games and make sure they are all good. This happens with some games that are usually special editions and people just dump a load of games from a big download on. Need for speed underground and underground black edition, midnight club dub edition and dub edition remix are two examples. These are the same game so you would not need both anyway but they would take the same art. You can manually fix any of these by navigating to XBMC-Emustation/system/ scripts/Xbox artwork installer via file explorer on the left side and on the right side of file explorer navigate to the game with incorrect artwork and copy the right one over. All artwork is downloaded to that path.

Also check out the artwork link on the GitHub. It has emulator artwork and some special edition Xbox game covers. Steel books etc. Jade empire alt cover is nice. Drop the contents of each artwork folder into the respective game folder. Look at an installed Xbox game folder for an example if needed.

Xbmc4gamers Emulator artwork and alternative xbox covers artwork from GitHub:

https://drive.google.com/.../1a3ZaFTuuu5L7lDbnOjmA5tlHhrw...

Intro videos: (readme included for setup)

https://drive.google.com/folderview...

On the game view screens for each system follow the onscreen button prompts for playing videos etc. Press white to see a context menu that allows you to enable xbox games fanart and change your view type. This context menu is self explanatory.

Press start and go to homescreen customization to choose your theme. Themes are now available on the built in downloader in settings. You will need to grab them here first. Themes are self contained to make it easier for people to make their own themes. FTP in and take a theme and copy it, name it something different and then tinker away. If you make any themes remember Xbmc-emustation is an open source project of Rocky5's so please share any themes you do make. If they are good enough John might add them to the downloader. His standards are high though ??

That should be enough to get a basic setup going.

Enjoy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wikati said:

what else have you done?

@Cian Cunningham put together a great quick tutorial on the FB group. I copied it.

check it out

Cian Cunningham:

Dont enable 1080i as it sucks too much ram and causes issues with the artwork installer.

So to set it all up FTP the pre built xbmc-emustation folder to the root of E. Don't build it yourself, that's only really for expert users that want to change source and recompile. Have all your xbox games in F/Games and/or G/Games. That's where the artwork install script looks for games. Go to settings on the carousel and then downloader, you might need to update the downloader under the update tab. Run the cache formatter from the downloader first (good practice). Download the artwork installer. You'll need 500mb free on E for it to download and extract. Go to settings and run the artwork installer script. Let it overwrite existing artwork when asked and allow it to use resources folders. Press start and do an auto scan of games or just select xbox to scan.

For emulator stuff, grab any emulators you can find on the downloader from the downloader as Rocky5 has set these up and has their saves in the emulator itself.

For artwork/videos and ROMs grab the resurrection xtras sets from here. Roms/Artwork and videos all need to be named the same to scan in to emustation. These are already set up like this so are drag and drop.

The emulator, media and roms folders inside XBMC-Emustation/. emustation need to be moved to a larger partition or you will run oit of space very quickly. Make a folder on the root of F or G called whatever you like, i call it XBMC-E and move these folders into it. This is where you will drop your artwork, videos and roms from resurrection xtras. Press start in the emustation dash and map these locations for emulators, media and roms so emustation knows where to find them.

Autoscan the games or scan per system when done FTPing. An auto scan can fix weird issues on the carousel so do one after yoi are fully set up.

N64 seems to have some issues on emustation so I would recommend to use the standalone Earthworm James Pack for n64 and set it as a custom tile (again press start and its on this menu). Google N64 transparent logo for an image for the carousel and then grab a fanart that is suitable, resize it to 853x480 and add blur if you are using the theme with blurred background images. I use a program called Irfanview for these small inage editing tasks. its free and good.

Use John Conns dashloader. Take this default.xbe and name it evoxdash.xbe and replace your existing evoxdash.xbe on the root of C. I suggest naming your existing to something else to back it up just in case and then delete after you get xbmc4gamers to boot.

Dashloader xbe

If you are softmodded then use Rocky5's extras disc to update and old softmod or install his from scratch and the Dashloader is built into it already.

Bear in mind that any xbox games with the same default.xbe will get the same artwork. So go through your games and make sure they are all good. This happens with some games that are usually special editions and people just dump a load of games from a big download on. Need for speed underground and underground black edition, midnight club dub edition and dub edition remix are two examples. These are the same game so you would not need both anyway but they would take the same art. You can manually fix any of these by navigating to XBMC-Emustation/system/ scripts/Xbox artwork installer via file explorer on the left side and on the right side of file explorer navigate to the game with incorrect artwork and copy the right one over. All artwork is downloaded to that path.

Also check out the artwork link on the GitHub. It has emulator artwork and some special edition Xbox game covers. Steel books etc. Jade empire alt cover is nice. Drop the contents of each artwork folder into the respective game folder. Look at an installed Xbox game folder for an example if needed.

On the game view screens for each system follow the onscreen button prompts for playing videos etc. Press white to see a context menu that allows you to enable xbox games fanart and change your view type. This context menu is self explanatory.

Press start and go to homescreen customization to choose your theme. Themes are now available on the built in downloader in settings. You will need to grab them here first. Themes are self contained to make it easier for people to make their own themes. FTP in and take a theme and copy it, name it something different and then tinker away. If you make any themes remember Xbmc-emustation is an open source project of Rocky5's so please share any themes you do make. If they are good enough John might add them to the downloader. His standards are high though ??

Enjoy

Ok so when I open the FTP client up, the xbox shows these directories: C  E  X  Y  Z

I do not know of this F or G directory you speak of.  What I did was copied the xbmc emustation folder in the applications of the E directory.  Within that folder is the .emustation folder where the emulators folder and games folder are already created.  I uploaded roms to their specific folders, emulators were already provided, the gba one at least.  I start my xbox, I got to applications and launch the emustation.  I go in and scan for emulators and roms, it finds nothing, so I obviously am missing something.  The F drive and G drive are confusing me because I do not see that on my end.

Thanks for any and all help, it is much appreciated.

11 minutes ago, glassweezer said:

Ok so when I open the FTP client up, the xbox shows these directories: C  E  X  Y  Z

I do not know of this F or G directory you speak of.  What I did was copied the xbmc emustation folder in the applications of the E directory.  Within that folder is the .emustation folder where the emulators folder and games folder are already created.  I uploaded roms to their specific folders, emulators were already provided, the gba one at least.  I start my xbox, I got to applications and launch the emustation.  I go in and scan for emulators and roms, it finds nothing, so I obviously am missing something.  The F drive and G drive are confusing me because I do not see that on my end.

in emustation press start, scroll down to other settings, press x, scroll down to custom paths and make sure the paths are correct.EXAMPLE -  E:/emustation/roms

• 4 months later...
On 5/3/2019 at 4:42 PM, wikati said:

what else have you done?

check it out

Cian Cunningham:

Dashloader xbe

Enjoy

Googledrive link are dead plz upload new plz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks to Rocky 5, he told me to "Show Hidden Files" in WinSCP on youtube so I can now see the .emustation folder.  I thought I'd post this in case someone else experiences this.  However, I don't understand how to have roms/games show because it seems like I ftp them over correctly to the xbox.  I have everything in the E:\ drive in the xbox and my Emulators, Media, and Roms folders are set to Q:\emustation\emulators and then the same for both media and roms in the UI of XBMC but when I change it to E:\ my path is much longer for emulators, media, and roms it still does not work.  I tried E and Q but both do not work.  I have them all working in Launchbox on my PC so the roms in theory should work.

Any Ideas?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 9:42 AM, wikati said:

what else have you done?

check it out

Cian Cunningham:

Dashloader xbe

Enjoy

So I’m having the same issue now. When I ftp the xbmc - emustation file to the Xbox the .emustation folder does not transfer but everything else does. 

On 5/3/2019 at 11:57 AM, glassweezer said:

I deleted all the master folder for xbmc4gamers and xbmc-emustation and reinstalled everything from Rocky's extra disc and it solved everything. Didn't lose anything from the other drives either

• 5 months later...
On 5/3/2019 at 10:42 AM, wikati said:

Thanks for the huge post !

I'm stuck at the part where you are supposed to drag and drop the resurrections xtras.  I have downloaded the SNES file and the structure doesnt appear to be the same in resurrection xtras than in XBMC-emustation.    Can I really just drag and drop the unzipped files (if so, where?) , or do I have to do some "thinking" like this :

Resurrection Xtras folder structure for SNES (https://rappscallion.wixsite.com/ressurectionxtras) looks like this :

/Artwork/3D Boxart

/Artwork/Action

/Artwork/Box Front

/Artwork/Cart

/Artwork/HyperSpin 3d Boxard

/Artwork/Misc01

/Artwork/Titles

/Commercials

/GameFAQs

/Manuals

/Movies

/Roms

/Saves

/VGMaps

, while the folder structure for /F/XBMC-Emustation_file/.emustation/ looks like this:

/emulators/snes/

/media/snes/boxart

/media/snes/boxart3d

/media/snes/logo

/media/snes/mix

/media/snes/screenshots

/media/snes/videos

/roms/snes

Do I need to do the following " from --> to" copies  ?

/Artwork/3D Boxart --> /F/XBMC-Emustation_file/.emustation/media/snes/boxart3d

/Artwork/Box Front --> /F/XBMC-Emustation_file/.emustation/media/snes/boxart

/Artwork/Titles --> /F/XBMC-Emustation_file/.emustation/media/snes/logo

/Artwork/Action -- > /F/XBMC-Emustation_file/.emustation/media/snes/screenshots

/Movies --> /F/XBMC-Emustation_file/.emustation/media/snes/videos

/Roms --> /F/XBMC-Emustation_file/.emustation/roms/snes

or is there something with less thinking involved? Doing this for all the REsurrection Xtras seems a lot of "work".

11 hours ago, patate said:

Alright, I got an answer on reddit from Rocky5.  Basically, what I say is the correct approach to get 100% artwork, but I can also just move the roms over and let the downloader fetch most artwork automatically.

What was the answer to your post about the Resurrection Extras directory structure if you don't mind me asking?  Trying to figure that out as well. 

i

11 hours ago, jasew503 said:

What was the answer to your post about the Resurrection Extras directory structure if you don't mind me asking?  Trying to figure that out as well. 

it's here :

basically you :

1) use the downloader to update emustation to the latest test version (" xbmc options" from the carousel, then "downloader", then "update" then "emustation test build". )

2)  do step 1 AGAIN   (the second update is super small)

3) decide where you want to save the roms (press START to go to the menu in emustation, the "advanced settings", then "roms path", which I set to /F/XBMC-E/Roms  and I set the media to /F/XBMC-E/media

4) FTP all the roms from resurrection extras to /F/XBMC-E/Roms/snes

5) use the downloader (" xbmc options" from the carousel, then "downloader", then "artwork", then SNES") to get all the artwork (except the movies)

6)If you really care,  FTP all the movies from "/Movies" in  resurrection extras to   /F/XBMC-E/media/snes/videos

7) update your list of roms  (press START to go to the menu in emustation, then "scanner", then "scan all systems"

you're good to go

Edited by patate

3 hours ago, patate said:

i

it's here :

basically you :

1) use the downloader to update emustation to the latest test version (" xbmc options" from the carousel, then "downloader", then "update" then "emustation test build". )

2)  do step 1 AGAIN   (the second update is super small)

3) decide where you want to save the roms (press START to go to the menu in emustation, the "advanced settings", then "roms path", which I set to /F/XBMC-E/Roms  and I set the media to /F/XBMC-E/media

4) FTP all the roms from resurrection extras to /F/XBMC-E/Roms/snes

5) use the downloader (" xbmc options" from the carousel, then "downloader", then "artwork", then SNES") to get all the artwork (except the movies)

6)If you really care,  FTP all the movies from "/Movies" in  resurrection extras to   /F/XBMC-E/media/snes/videos

7) update your list of roms  (press START to go to the menu in emustation, then "scanner", then "scan all systems"

you're good to go

Awesome thanks!  I ended up figuring it out after looking at the contents of each of those folders.  I used to be big into modding OG Xbox's over 10 years ago, I just pulled out a couple I had and decided to chip them.  It's been so long I had forgotten all this stuff, a LOT of progress has been made since the last one I did in 2008.  Amazing.

For others in the future using the Resurrection Roms Xtras set(s), your earlier post with copy-to locations was perfect and it's exactly what I did.

--One caveat is the 32X system artwork:  In the resurrection Roms "Sega Genesis" Artwork folders, the 32X game artwork files are mixed in with the Genesis ones.  Some say (32X) at the end of the file name, some don't.  You'll have to copy these separately and put them in their respective "./emustation/media/sega32x/boxart" (etc) folders on the xbox.  Good thing there's less than 30.  Alternatively, if you don't care about having a separate carousel listing for a 32X system, you could just copy all the 32X games into Genesis and they work there too, they'll just be mixed in the list alphabetically with all the Genesis games.  Same goes with Japanese and European Megadrive game art.  You can copy all of the roms from "Japan Licensed" or Europe Licensed" folders into Genesis and they'll be mixed in.  The artwork is already mixed in.  If you want them split up, I put all the Japanese and European Megadrive roms into the /.emustation/roms/megadrive, and all the US Licened Genesis roms into /.emustation/roms/megadrive, and then copied all of the same artwork files into both system's media directories.  Just easier that way, it duplicates the media files, but on a big enough drive a few hundred extra megs used up isn't a big deal.

(System)/Artwork/3D Boxart   --->  FTP or Copy To--->  /(XBOX Drive Letter where XMBC-Emustation lives)/XBMC-Emustation/.emustation/media/snes/boxart3d

(System)/Artwork/Box Front   ---> FTP or Copy To--->  /(XBOX Drive Letter where XMBC-Emustation lives)/XBMC-Emustation/.emustation/media/snes/boxart

(System)/Artwork/Titles   --->  FTP or Copy To--->  /(XBOX Drive Letter where XMBC-Emustation lives)/XBMC-Emustation/.emustation/media/snes/logo

(System)/Artwork/Action   ---> FTP or Copy To--->  /(XBOX Drive Letter where XMBC-Emustation lives)/XBMC-Emustation/.emustation/media/snes/screenshots

(System)/Movies   ---> FTP or Copy To--->  /(XBOX Drive Letter where XMBC-Emustation lives)/XBMC-Emustation/.emustation/media/snes/videos

(System)/Roms   ---> FTP or Copy To--->  /(XBOX Drive Letter where XMBC-Emustation lives)/XBMC-Emustation/.emustation/roms/snes

Depending on the FTP Program being used, the ".emustation/" directory or folder may be "hidden" from view.  You'll have to enable the viewing of "hidden" directories or folders in order to view it and get into it to copy these files.

After copying is complete, rescan all systems and they should show up with all the artwork, videos, etc.

In the resurrection Roms Genesis Artwork folders, the 32X games art files are mixed in with the Genesis ones.  Some say (32X) at the end of the file name, some don't.  You'll have to copy these separately and put in their respective media/sega32x/boxart (etc) folders on the xbox.

• 1 month later...