OGXbox.com

Softmodded a series of XBox OGs but issue with v1.6 and dualboot not working

xboxretro

Sorry, not sure how to update or edit posts.  It seems that v1.2 XBoxes I just did from scratch using Endgame method also do not have dualboot working.  The first two I did had the Legacy method initially since 2018/19.  I then used to update and upgrade methods to get them up to Unleash v1.2.1.  So far thats all I can differentiate between the models softmodded.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I will attempt to use the update/upgrade method now and see if that activates something and report.

Thanks

13 hours ago, xboxretro said:

Sorry, not sure how to update or edit posts.  It seems that v1.2 XBoxes I just did from scratch using Endgame method also do not have dualboot working.  The first two I did had the Legacy method initially since 2018/19.  I then used to update and upgrade methods to get them up to Unleash v1.2.1.  So far thats all I can differentiate between the models softmodded.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I will attempt to use the update/upgrade method now and see if that activates something and report.

Thanks

Your posts are limited to 10 posts a day as a new member, so use them sparingly. Unless you are a paid member (which isn't much) I think you can only edit your post within 10 minutes. You can be a committed member for 5 bucks. I recommend it. :)

10 hours ago, NokSueCow said:

I attempted dual boot a while ago, but found out about Dashloader soon after, and never got dual boot working. Are you familiar with Dashloader, or just prefer Dual Boot?

Thank you.   I am not familiar with it but will check it out.   Good to know someone else couldn't get it working - unfortunately.

25 minutes ago, xboxretro said:

Thank you.   I am not familiar with it but will check it out.   Good to know someone else couldn't get it working - unfortunately.

Instead of either pressing Eject/Power to decide what to boot to, you hold one of up to 8 buttons on the controller. Dashloader is installed by default on Rocky's softmod, and can be installed on a hardmod. I use it to boot to the MS Dash, UnleashX, and Emustation, while XBMC4Gamers is default.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

After borking the softmod files trying to get this going, not being able to boot the drive and spending a considerable amount of time purchasing IDE adapters, and recreating the drives, I am back to the Rocky5SoftMod and will attempt the above recommendations.  The Warmstor brand IDE adapter,  FATXplorerBeta64 and XBoxHDM-2.3-Beta4 saved the day.  Thanks to all developers over the years that got these working.  Will keep the stock drive standars and now look into building a 2TB to put a few games I have on there and enjoy the hell out of it.  Thanks all

3 hours ago, xboxretro said:

After borking the softmod files trying to get this going, not being able to boot the drive and spending a considerable amount of time purchasing IDE adapters, and recreating the drives, I am back to the Rocky5SoftMod and will attempt the above recommendations.  The Warmstor brand IDE adapter,  FATXplorerBeta64 and XBoxHDM-2.3-Beta4 saved the day.  Thanks to all developers over the years that got these working.  Will keep the stock drive standars and now look into building a 2TB to put a few games I have on there and enjoy the hell out of it.  Thanks all

The 2Tb sata upgrade makes sooo much difference. I love having games running on it and not having to use the dvd drive. I’ve had it that way for far too many years and have been spoiled by it. Lol. Oh and that warmstor adapter has been one of the most consistent adapters I’ve used for locking/unlocking the ide hdds since my old usb adapter died a few years back. I’ve never run in to an ide hdd it didn’t work with using fatxplorer or Xboxhdm. 

When you get to the hdd upgrade stage you’ll need an 80 wire 40 pin ide cable to replace the stock cable, a sata to pata adapter for the hdd (startech preferred unless you have one of the dvd drives that doesn’t play well with those and then usually the green Chinese brand works. The most important feature is to have a master/slave pin designation option as you’ll need this), and obviously a sata drive. If you stay mechanical something like a WD Blue or Black works well. Avoid any of the green or power saving type hdds. If you’re not building a new drive via fatxplorer or Xboxhdm and plan on using Chimp to clone your old drive then you’ll also need a molex splitter or you can use the power from the warmstor adapter to power the sata drive during the cloning process. 

It’s an easy process and everyone here can make recommendations on hardware and help out with the process when you get ready to proceed. Best of luck and glad you were able to get the current stuff straightened out!