OGXbox.com

i can see the faint lines in the middle of those pics. I've made 4 wii2HDMI's - all have the interference lines. I've tried grounding the power on the Wii2HDMI in different spots and using an external USB 5v power supply instead of using the xbox A/V power.

I suspect the YPbPr A->D 9288/9282 firmware could be tweaked and improved for OG Xbox, the stock 9288/9282 source code is available however I expect wii2HDMI runs a modified version - no source code turned up in my search. Either it would need to be leaked, or modify the stock source and match the configuration... an interesting project, however at this point its becomes easier, less time consuming and more guaranteed outcome, to buy and install an HDMI kit ;)

Edited by corona2222

• 2 months later...

I have modded two wii2hdmi (black version from AliExpress) and the picture is perfect for 720p games but for 480p games I get wavy lines as others have mentioned. I tried the adapter on wii u and I got wavy lines at 480p but not 720p. I tried CAT 5 wires too but it seems that it’s un fixable at the moment. One thing I noticed about the adapter, if I touched some part of it the wavy lines doesn’t move but it’s still there and if I released my hand, the lines will start to move. Sometimes the lines will get better and sometimes will get worse. 

On 5/6/2021 at 3:10 PM, Sparda1418 said:

I have modded two wii2hdmi (black version from AliExpress) and the picture is perfect for 720p games but for 480p games I get wavy lines as others have mentioned. I tried the adapter on wii u and I got wavy lines at 480p but not 720p. I tried CAT 5 wires too but it seems that it’s un fixable at the moment. One thing I noticed about the adapter, if I touched some part of it the wavy lines doesn’t move but it’s still there and if I released my hand, the lines will start to move. Sometimes the lines will get better and sometimes will get worse. 

That sounds like it's picking up interference, The Xbox uses a switch mode power supply and they emit interference galore. I had one here that had some wavy lines and adding a decent ground from the HDMI connector shield to the Xbox board fixed it.

Can you test it with a different power supply. Also can you try flipping the 2 pin power plug at the back of the Xbox.

It may also need to be enclosed in a metal box (the wii2hdmi)

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

T

4 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

That sounds like it's picking up interference, The Xbox uses a switch mode power supply and they emit interference galore. I had one here that had some wavy lines and adding a decent ground from the HDMI connector shield to the Xbox board fixed it.

Can you test it with a different power supply. Also can you try flipping the 2 pin power plug at the back of the Xbox.

It may also need to be enclosed in a metal box (the wii2hdmi)

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Hi, Dave :) 

Do you have any picture how to do that? I did the mod externally. I tested two xbox and both of them have the same result even on Wii U. 

14 minutes ago, Sparda1418 said:

T

Hi, Dave :) 

Do you have any picture how to do that? I did the mod externally. I tested two xbox and both of them have the same result even on Wii U. 

All mine are internally fitted.

Internal-wii2hdmi-in-Xbox.jpg

Internal-wii2hdmi-in-Xbox-rear.jpg

Try wrapping the wii2hdmi encloser  in foil and see what happens.

Cheers

SS Dave

Edited by SS_Dave
more info
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 12:48 PM, SS_Dave said:

All mine are internally fitted.

Internal-wii2hdmi-in-Xbox.jpg

Internal-wii2hdmi-in-Xbox-rear.jpg

Try wrapping the wii2hdmi encloser  in foil and see what happens.

Cheers

SS Dave

I just did this and the wavy lines disappeared in my HDTV. I also tested on my old PC CRT HDMI to VGA and I can see lines but they are not moving like before. I will test more TVs and I will report back. 

23180F58-85A7-4A62-95AE-4FEC0F191DDB.jpeg

I was thinking possibly a metal box along the lines of this type of thing and use shielded cable from the plug to the wii2dmi

metal-box.jpg

This is just a random one from I picked from eBay

or slide the wii2hdmi back in the plastic box it was in and wrap in foil tape.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 1/1/2021 at 9:31 PM, SS_Dave said:

What type and size wire did you use? I twist 4 strand of CAT5 cable 3 video and 1 ground together and the same for the 2 audio and 1 of the grounds then also use a slightly bigger wire for the main ground

Cheers

SS Dave

SS Dave can you just clarify this? Are you twisting the 4 strands together but feeding 1 strand to each terminal or is it 4 strands to each terminal (guessing unlikely as would be a bugger to solder but just checking!)

Thanks

24 minutes ago, JimM said:

SS Dave can you just clarify this? Are you twisting the 4 strands together but feeding 1 strand to each terminal or is it 4 strands to each terminal (guessing unlikely as would be a bugger to solder but just checking!)

Thanks

1 strand for red 1 for green 1 for blue and the last for ground all twisted together and the same for the 3 twisted wires used for the audio.

The other thing that may be causing a problem is the wii2hdmi is also getting a 5 volt feed from pin 18 of the HDMI connector.

The 3 red/gray arrows are the 5 volt supply.

You could try and isolate the 5 volt from the HDMI connector by cutting the trace at the Yellow/blue arrow

Wii2hdmi.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

You could also try adding a extra filter cap to the 3.3 volt supply (U3).

Try a 2.2uf 6.3 volt or a  4.7uf 6.3 volt across the red (3.3 volt)and black (0 volt) arrows or 10 volt caps will be fine

You will need to scratch the green paint off to expose the copper trace.

3-3-volt-wii2hdmi.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JimM said:

OK I've managed to get an external wii2hdmi mod to work but my display is very dark. Checked continuity from the board to the pins and all seems to be OK, any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks

The darkness is something I don't think you will be able to fix.

This is worth a look at as it shows a quad screen comparison of the different HDMI solutions for the OG Xbox

Cheers

SS Dave

Hi all,

just made one adapter myself. But I was not comfortable with the style of finished adapter as it is made most of the times. My concern is that on the one hand I dont like long dongles sticking out of connection ports in general and even worse with a cable attached to it (because of possible mechanical stress due to the long lever) and on the other hand I am planning to build a suitcase to house the xbox as well as a 22" screen, so space is also a concern.
So I designed a case for the Wii2HDMI-board to use it with a short (15cm) piece of cable between XBOX-connector and Wii2HDMI-Board.

Here I'd like to share my design with you if anyone is interested in this solution as well:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4870493
Only thing you need besides the 3D-printed parts are six M3 screws: two for fastening the cable and 4 for holding the case together.

IMG_0260_small.jpg

IMG_0259_small.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 2/22/2021 at 8:56 AM, Cliff said:

20210221_190704 (1).jpg

Ok, to the people getting this kind of "wavy lines". I've had the same effect with the VGA mod at 480p games. With games running at 720p there are no "wavy lines" and the image is crisp. I tried the console on 4 different lcd monitors/tv and on all of them i had the same effect.  This effect can be solved by adjusting the coarse/fine or clock/phase of the monitor, but then the picture gets stretched so much that some of the picture goes off the limits of the screen. This problem only occurs on new lcd displays. I've tested the console on an old crt display and there are no "wavy lines" at all.

I'm not 100% sure but, after doing some search i found that xbox outputs EDTV 480p signal standard that translates to 852x480* resolution and not VGA standard 640x480.  The monitors recognize the incoming image resolution from the hsync clock frequency. So EDTV 480p and VGA 640x480 have similar horizontal sync clock frequency ~31,7kHz but different pixel clocks(EDTV@27Mhz vs VGA@25,125Mhz). That's why, when i set the clock on the image settings of the monitors at 852 exactly, i get no "wavy lines", but the image gets stretched.

Those "wavy lines", to my understanding, have nothing to do with noise interference. Thus better shielding/grounding/changing caps etc. won't help at all. What does make the effect worse is the sync clock signals skew or poor rising/ falling clock edges that the encoder chip on the xbox produces at 480p. Might be, that the old crt's aren't effected a lot by this, but the new lcd monitors are more susceptible to this poor signal. This effect gets worse because of the digital upscaling the digital lcd circuitry applies. This has been also tested:

On my old 32" Samsung tv monitor, when i connect the xbox via the component input, there are no "wavy lines" at 480p HDTV games. The same xbox set to produce the same component HDTV output as before, but connected to the vga input of my tv monitor produces those "wavy lines". What i can understand from this is that because the monitor uses different circuitry to decode component and vga signals, either can only apply the EDTV 480p standard on component inputs or the circuitry that decodes vga/hdmi is susceptible to clock skew or poor sync signals.

1 hour ago, jiml said:

Those "wavy lines", to my understanding, have nothing to do with noise interference. Thus better shielding/grounding/changing caps etc. won't help at all.

I had a 1.6 I modded with the HDMI internally which had those lines. After I changed the wireing a bit (used other spots to solder, changed the routing and using thicker cable) I don't get any lines at all no matter what the XBox outputs.

Here is short demo of he UnleashX dash which mostly shows these lines. You just see a crisp wavey free image. (You just see some sync lines from the cell phone but thats it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfg8vmSbZPs&list=PLgw7ygLmNs1USVm9JeIKn3CupZHrIhnrB&index=3

13 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I had a 1.6 I modded with the HDMI internally which had those lines. After I changed the wireing a bit (used other spots to solder, changed the routing and using thicker cable) I don't get any lines at all no matter what the XBox outputs.

Here is short demo of he UnleashX dash which mostly shows these lines. You just see a crisp wavey free image. (You just see some sync lines from the cell phone but thats it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfg8vmSbZPs&list=PLgw7ygLmNs1USVm9JeIKn3CupZHrIhnrB&index=3

Oh, that's interesting. A lot of people say that changing spots to solder helped with the "wavy line" effect , but didn't get rid of if totally.

Were the lines you were getting static vertical, or were diagonal moving?

Are you sure this picture from the dashboard is 480p and not 720p? Could you try with a game that goes only up to 480p?

Sorry for double posting, but i can't edit my posts for some reason...Maybe cause of low post counter?

What i mean is that static vertical lines shown in the picture above, suggest something like an rc filter effect on the line with the same phase of the singal, clearly distinct from white noise. Whereas diagonal moving lines suggest white noise or some kind of interference, that can't be phase locked and thus is moving. Grounding or/and better wiring should only help the later case.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but when I disable 480p on Xbmc the scanlines / interference is  gone. 

Assuming its running 480i?  

Doesn't look much worse to me for og xbox games and all 720p content looks great for my emulators.

Edited by JBird

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I've wired up a Wii2HDMI to a AV plug, and am experiencing static green vertical lines (possibly alternating with slightly magenta ones) of interference. This sounds a bit like that reported earlier in this post.

Testing with a copy of Splinter Cell: they can't really been seen on the dash, or on the splash screen, but after the Ubisoft logo there seems to be a slight resolution switch that reveals them (see attached).

1.2 PAL Xbox. I have replaced the three main caps under the CPU.

MS9288A chip. The monitor reports a 576 @50Hz signal throughout.

I'm using wires extracted from the core of the AV cable the plug came with.
Grounding all the Y, Pb, Pr, & L/R Audio grounds to the Wii2HDMI board ground doesn't make any difference.

Tried two different monitors, same banding.
The stock Xbox composite cable run through a HDMI converter does not produce the same green lines.

Shielding/insulation, perhaps? Or try a different Wii2HDMI?

Thanks.

IMG_0344.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 8:55 PM, epicurius7 said:

Hi,

I've wired up a Wii2HDMI to a AV plug, and am experiencing static green vertical lines (possibly alternating with slightly magenta ones) of interference. This sounds a bit like that reported earlier in this post.

Testing with a copy of Splinter Cell: they can't really been seen on the dash, or on the splash screen, but after the Ubisoft logo there seems to be a slight resolution switch that reveals them (see attached).

Grounding all the Y, Pb, Pr, & L/R Audio grounds to the Wii2HDMI board ground doesn't make any difference.

The stock Xbox composite cable run through a HDMI converter does not produce the same green lines.

Thanks.

Try grounding the HDMI shield (the metal around the HDMI socket) as I found that helps when I fit the wii2hdmi as a internal fitment.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 10/30/2022 at 2:55 AM, epicurius7 said:

Hi,

Thanks.

IMG_0344.jpg

I have this on many xboxes that come in.  What I do:

Load OG dashboard and turn on 480p, 720p but disable 1080i

Load unleash x (I usually do this from hexxen disc) and enable 480p, 720p and disable 1080i

After a few restarts I get crisp video

I've done 1 wii2hdmi for xbox and I was surprised on the picture quality.  Out of everything I have tested wii2hdmi came in 2nd to XBOX hd+.

I tried grounding right onto the HDMI shield, no change. I also tried putting a 4.7pF capacitor in series with the timing crystal (picked up from a Wii forum suggestion)  no change there either.

My monitor claims the Wii2HDMI is putting out a 576, 50hz signal at all times. I have PAL-60 enabled. Perhaps the Wii2HDMI is a bit limited when it comes to PAL detection?
The in game resolution has the bad interference, but the dash does not, so they must be different despite the chip pushing 576 @ 50hz regardless through HDMI.

I haven't softmodded it yet - that's the next step now that I have a mostly working HDMI signal. So I'll experiment with switching to NTSC then.

Edited by epicurius7

• 1 month later...