OGXbox.com

Tsop or Not

Gray1

I recently acquired an XBOX Version 1.0. I replaced the Clock Capacitor with a higher quality Nichicon cap. Repasted the GPU and CPU. But I am torn between TSOP or keeping it original. I don't need another TSOP box and was thinking about keeping it original. On the other hand if the original hard drive goes out, well i'm out of luck and it won't  do anybody any good. I just can't make up my mind. Anybody got any thoughts on this?

TSOP it! :) Backup the EEPROM contents.  Store it in several different safe places. Save it in a file or folder named with the Xbox Serial number it came from. Not that this naming is required but easier to locate the correct file if you have more than one EEPROM.bin. 

<Xbox Serial Number>_EEPROM.bin

No need to first to open the file in a hex editor to see the serial number in the file to determine which Xbox it was saved from

Mod it or lose it,
KaosEngineer

Well I went ahead and TSOPed it. I flashed it with IND_BIOS 5004 and again no sound on unleashX desktop. I had to uninstall the softmod to get sound. Don't know if its normal or if it's a Rocky5 thing. Would someone explain to me why I need to backup the eeprom on a console that I TSOPed?

Thanks

Rocky5's softmod doesn't install the MS dashboard or its sound files which UnleashX uses.  I think you can install the MS dashboard without sound files and/or the sound files separately with the Extras disc.

Uninstalling Rocky5's softmod returns the entire stock MS dashboard back to the C drive with sounds too.

Update: Why backup the EEPROM on a TSOP'd Xbox? So you an boot the stock BIOS which requires the HDD to be locked: 

1. If you ever boot the console with the modchip disabled, error 05 screen will be displayed if the hard drive is not locked. 

2. If you ever remove the modchip and softmod the console, the HDD has to be locked.

Just to clairify.. If I don't have a modchip and the TSOP is flashed. How can I boot a stock BIOS? Is flashing a TSOP with a stock MS Dash possible?  Not wanting to argue. Just trying to understand. My head is a little thick sometimes.

Thanks

22 hours ago, Gray1 said:

How can I boot a stock BIOS? Is flashing a TSOP with a stock MS Dash possible?  Not wanting to argue. Just trying to understand. My head is a little thick sometimes.

Thanks

The language can vary a bit and make things confusing. 

As far as flashing a retail BIOS, this is possible, just as well as flashing a third-party BIOS, although I don’t know where one would actually find a retail BIOS. Not much use for one. 

The MS dash itself doesn’t “live” on the TSOP. You can actually fit pretty much every dashboard into your Xbox’s hard drive if you’re so inclined, TSOP or not.

you’ll boot from one, perhaps two (Rocky5 soft supports dual boot) and the rest will run as Applications on your system.

e.g my system launches UnleashX, but I also use the stock M$ dash and XBMC as apps on the system.  

I think Kaos’ post was a bit more geared towards mod chip users and not TSOP users.

Clear things up?

23 hours ago, Gray1 said:

Just to clairify.. If I don't have a modchip and the TSOP is flashed. How can I boot a stock BIOS? Is flashing a TSOP with a stock MS Dash possible?  Not wanting to argue. Just trying to understand. My head is a little thick sometimes.

Thanks

You really don't want to boot a stock BIOS.  You can do everything and more with a modified BIOS booting from the TSOP. You don't have to install a modchip. 

The flash memory chip (named TSOP for its package style - Thin Small Outline Package) MS provided on the motherboard holds the BIOS for you. Eliminating the need to purchase and install a modchip to mod the Xbox.  If you TSOP mod the console, you do need additional hardware and some free software to load the necessary TSOP flashing software package onto the Xbox's hard drive to perform the reflashing process. Writing a modified BIOS to  the TSOP, flash memory chip, on the motherboard.