OGXbox.com

Ind-Bios 5004.67 Does Not See G Partition

SlimBoy

I have a version 1.4 xbox that was TSOP modded with X2 4983.67 bios and 750gb IDE hard drive. I have flashed IND-5004.67 bios to it and now it does not see the G partition. I have tried to re-partition the drive to no avail, it will not see the G partition. If I boot the HEXEN 2018 disk it sees the G partition or if I re-flash the X2 bios it will also see the G partition. I am at a loss to what the problem I have is? Has anyone had this problem before. Thanks.

Don't you have to enable the G partition in settings before you can see it? Have you checked there? It's under System, Storage on my evoX. By the way, I've never seen a 750Gb Ide drive. Thats quite a find.

Edited by Gray1

Its been a while since I done what your doing. Do you have to format the G partition? I had this problem but don't remember how I fixed it. I don't want to mislead you. I'm sure someone else will comment shortly.

Edited by Gray1

What application are you using to format/partition the HDD?  XBPartitioner v1.3?

Is there a partition table on the HDD?

Post a picture of XBPartitioner v1.3's main screen showing how the drive is partitioned make sure you have the G partition (extended partition 7) highlighted so it's cluster allocation setup is displayed.

Make sure the command you are using to format the extended partitions also writes a partition table to the hard drive.  Standard LBA48 .67 set up accesses the hard  drive expecting F up to 137GB and G takes the reset without a partition table present.  If the F and G drives ar not using this configuration things will be in the wrong location on the hard drive to access the directory structure of G. An error occurs and it's not displayed.

You can use Rocky5's XBP Table Writer from his Chimp 261812 github repo to write the partition table to the hard drive.  It is found in the E Partition folder there.

I am using Xbpartition v1.3 to try and repartition the drive. I will post a picture of the drive structure when I get home from work this evening. I did not see any partition information on the Hdd. I am confused because the Hexen 2018 disk sees the g partition and everything that is on it, as does X2 bios if I reflash the TSOP. I will try Rocky5’s table writer this evening. Thanks, I will update this evening. 

Edited by SlimBoy

No easy way to tell if there's a partition table written to the drive.  Evoxdash's backup operation writes the configuration area of the hard drive - first 1024 512 byte sectors to a file named disk.bin.  Download then open this file in a hex editor.  If a partition table is present, you should see something like the following;

219550559_XBPPartitionTableonHDD.JPG.964cd98dfdb5ce5ba05a5fb8fbc5dd73.JPG

If no partition table is present, the first sector (512 or 200 hex bytes from offset 0x0 0000 to 0x0 01FF) will be filled with 00s.

Update.

My HDD does not have a disk.bin file that I can find anywhere. I tried Rocky5's partition table writer and I  still have the same problem. I did try completely installing the dive as a new one using HEXEN disk and it did completely erase the C and E drive but not my F an G drive. THey still have all my files and folders on them. I guess I will just TSOP the bios back to the X2 bios. 

Noooo, it’s absolutely NOT your HDD!

Same thing just happened to me updating to the “recommended” Bios.

I am LIVID. You are correct, through trial and error I found only HeXen

is able to see my full 2TB (really3) of partitions I spent endless time loading my

drive game by game. I’ve been building these things since I helped with

Chip designs in early 2000’s. I own my games.... Shame on me for purchasing them. Now 

all I’ll ever play will be downloaded and stored on a server. I’m pulling my hair out going

through code byte by byte to find out where the issue is. When I find the D!(k H0!e

who uploaded the exact same bios you used, I’ll make sure his IP is slowed to a

1990 24kb dial up speed with regular maintenance to his/her miserable existence 

until im satisfied.

Lesson learned, bad on me.... Redundant backups here on out!

In case it doesn’t show in my writing here, I am PISSED!

Edited by SUPERMAN31170
Spell correction

iND-BiOS 67 is uses the LBA48 standard 67 configuration.  This configuration is F (partition 6) up to 137GB and G (partition 7) takes the rest.

However such a setup doesn't work for a 2TB HDD.  The maximum size of a partition is limited to 1TB.  Dashboards will look like they have the proper size but once the cluster allocation counter is exceeded (overflows) the partition's data will become corrupted.

Cluster Allocation Size - Max Partition Size

64KB - 1TB
32KB - 512GB
16KB - 256GB

However, many of the latest BIOSes; Evox M8 and M8plus, X2 4981 and 4983, iND-BiOS 5003 and 5004; support reading a partition table written by XBPartitioner v1.3 from the hard drive to set custom sizes for the extended partitions that override the built-in LBA48 default settings.

Since partitions on the Xbox HDD start at fixed sector offsets without a partition table present, the BIOS accesses the start of the G partition for the directory data at the wrong location if F starts after the old LBA28 137GB boundary. The directory content is incorrect and the G drive does not show up.  Write a partition table to the HDD and G will automagically appear.

Capture a picture of XBPartitioner v1.3's main screen and post it here for me to verify how your HDD has been partitioned.  

I appreciate the offer of help. I understand how it works. I’m a long standing user of the M8plus bios. I’m in middle of ftp’ing F and G games folders to a newly purchased 8TB external backup. After I save myself the time of disc by disc game reloading, I’ll attempt another mission of restoring the dash without having to build from scratch again. I don’t declare to know all and I am open to suggestions and any help offered......After safe transfer of the games(all else is safely transferred through Hexen) I would greatly appreciate your help in any way. If you are able to, I would reimburse you for your time.

I do thank you for your offer of help in any case. I was upset after a 12 hour waste of time attempting to restore the Bios (successful) and a backup of entire C and E partitions.

Thank the Gods of gaming for allowing me to ftp through Hexen.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Richard B. Riddick said:
I've been using it for some time latest/beta? iND-BiOS 5004.67 and strange things happen on my blackbox.

So I flashed bios again with iND-BiOS 5003.67 and everything has returned to normal. 

@SlimBoy  flash your box with iND-BiOS 5003.67. 

Thanks, I will remember that if it happens again.  I ended up getting another hard drive and got it to work. I guess for some reason it did not like the hard drive. 

I agree.  Seems like the issue can be resolved with XBPartitioner v.1.3 and a reboot after.

I'm not sure which bios to choose now.  I have evox 8+ (f and G) running on a 1.4 with 1tb HDD, but everyone keeps mentioning ind-bios is the way to go because of the ability to upgrade the ram and configure the console without having to re-flash every time I change something.  I was about to re-flash with ind-bios until I read this thread.  Is 5003.67 more stable?  I'm up for suggestions.  Do they even offer 5004 with winbond tsops?