OGXbox.com

X3ce Install Frag Help?

CleggorZ

I have recently just installed a spare x3ce I have to an og xbox however some bits was missing, I dont have a switchboard or the cable to go to hdd/lan/d0 

I have installed the pin header fine and connected the x3 and everything lights up fine i get 5v and 3.3v light ( I have soldered d0 on the back and connected it to the d0 pin on the modchip) however now the console frags. Im pretty confidant my pin header is installed correctly as I have ram upgraded the same board I just cant understand why the console keeps fragging. I have not connected the hdd/ lan but I didnt think that would make any difference? Also the console boots normally without the mod chip on but obviously hangs on the xbox logo due to the 128mb ram.

I have checked and everything is sound with the soldering, pretty sure the x3 is bad, just tried it in another console that has a working x3 and the console fragged, either it is software or the backup is bad? anyway to recover? 

Edited by CleggorZ

I have also just checked and with the eye the modchip is cosmetically perfect no damage at all, however it will not boot in a console and instantly frag any console. Also I have compared it to another x3ce I have and again it looks identical, would this indicate that its a corrupt bios? or would it be because it could have an old bios and doesn't support the 128mb ram? all the consoles I have tried it in have been 128mb upgrades. cheers 

• 4 weeks later...

Boot into the X3 Config Live menu using the working X3 modchip, reflash a 2MB BIOS file (2 x the X3 1MB BIOS file) to the hotswapped FRAGing X3CE.  You can use FTP or the file stored on the Xbox's HDD.

Prepare a 2MB X3 BIOS dot BIN file. 

1. Start CMD.EXE prompt window

2. Execute the command:

copy /b X3BIOS.BIN + X3BIOS.BIN 2MBX3BIOS.BIN

change the names to match the files you have for the X3 BIOS's dot bin file.  The output, 2MBX3BIOS.BIN. file can be named what you want with the dot bin extension.  If the filename has a space in it, you will have to surround the name in double quotes (e.g., "X3 3294.bin"). 

If you use the file stored on the Xbox HDD, you'll have to upload it to the console so you can browse to it when you select that option.

The latest X3 BIOS is 3294:

X3 3294.bin for v1.0-1.5 consoles and X3 3294 v16plus.bin for v1.6/1.6b consoles.

Update:

What happens if you try to boot the console from the FRAGing X3CE's Backup/Recovery BIOS?

Power on the console by pressing both the Power and Eject buttons on the front panel - FlashBIOS 3.0.1 or 3.0.3 should boot.