OGXbox.com

Aladdin XS

aspir3

Hey Guys a new member here :D

Recently I stumbled upon this forum and thought I could revive my old Xbox. After reading some threads I wanted to know which options I have to update my chipped box.

I have a v1.6 and a Aladdin XS modchip but I can't find any information about it.

Which possibilities do I have to get this box up to date?

Installation manual and information on the connection of a display - most likely a LCD 20x4 line that uses an HD44780 controller are attached below.  It has a Lattice LC4064V CPLD chip and SST49LF020 (256KB flash to hold 1 BIOS).

The chip was designed to be installed on the bottom of a 1.6 console's motherboard; however, not with all those wires but direct soldering to the motherboard. Harder to remove later though if you wish/need to remove it but not impossible. You will see in the HTML document included in the archive. 

Aladdin XS.rar

Source: http://www.xbox360-forum.de/aladdin-xs-displaybelegung-4185.html

I suspect you can flash it like any other modchip.  For the v1.6 Xbox, you are limited in the number of BIOSes to choose from:

1. M8plus_16.bin (size: 256KB)

Update: Found another file with 3 pictures - 1 the same as the first file attached - 2 additional pictures showing how to connect LCD screens to the Aladdin SX modchip (aka Xenochip XS).  The three different LCD screens supported are:

• HD44780-based
  • X3LCD, and
  • EA-DIP-204

xenochip_xs_diagrams.zip

Source: https://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=2365&ttitle=Xenochip_XS_diagrams

Wayback Machine capture of these pictures from the devs website - www.xenochip.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20060321182522/http://www.xenochip.com/xs.html

and a short description of features but states that the chip is OBSOLETE:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060215143125/http://xenochip.com/?c=products

• Like 1

Okay that's good to know. Are there any negative aspects or experiences with this chip? I mean since you noted that it's obsolete. ACan I upgrade the 80gb hdd without problems?

and since I have a 1.6 should i remove the clock cap or not? I've read mixed opinions on that.

Edited by aspir3

Probably OBSOLETE as they came out with a smaller and lower production cost modchip for 1.6 Xboxes.  It will work to swap HDDs up to 2TB like any other modded system using the M8plus_16.bin BIOS.

The different brand gold colored supercap (clock cap) on 1.6 consoles has yet to leak as the previous black colored PowerStor Aerogel supercap.  It generally doesn't have to be removed but all capacitors can go bad.  If it does go bad, it has to be replaced for a 1.6 console to boot.  V1.0-1.5 consoles do not have to have it replaced after removal.

Ah well,

I just wanted to flash the chip so I start the Xbox it boots and right in the Hexen menu it goes off. After that I have to unplug the power cord and then I can start the box again but the time it stays on is random. Is it a sign of leaking clock cap?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's a v1. 6 with the Goldcap and I haven't seen any flashing on the eject ring it just shuts off like when you shut off electricity. All I hear is a buzzing on the speaker on the TV when it shuts off. I also resoldered the power connector on the psu since I read it could have a cold solder. But nothing helped.

• 3 months later...
On 4/28/2019 at 4:10 PM, aspir3 said:

Yeah, it's a v1. 6 with the Goldcap and I haven't seen any flashing on the eject ring it just shuts off like when you shut off electricity. All I hear is a buzzing on the speaker on the TV when it shuts off. I also resoldered the power connector on the psu since I read it could have a cold solder. But nothing helped.

Hey Guys,

after a long time I tried to resurrect my box, so I completely reassembled the whole thing cleaned it and it works now.

But I've stumbled upon another problem. I tried to flash the chip with the M8_plus 256k bios but everytime it says Flash not writeable.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on?

Thanks in advance

• 1 year later...
On 4/10/2019 at 8:22 AM, aspir3 said:

Okay that's good to know. Are there any negative aspects or experiences with this chip?

I have a v1.6 xbox with this chip, and it is giving me headaches. Most of the time, the xbox would only briefly turn on with the chip enabled. So like this: I turn on the xbox, it runs for 1 second, turns off, then turns on after 2-3 seconds on its own, with the chip disabled. Maybe I just got some loose solder connections?

Sometimes the xbox would successfully boot with the chip enabled; mostly after disassembling the xbox. But only a few times. At least the xbox can boot into the softmod if it cannot booth with the modchip enabled. Therefore I assume the LFRAME trace is not cut. Might this aspect be the culprit? I could not find a resource on the possible malfunctions that thewheelman282 mentions in this video.

TLDR: I prefer having a pre-1.6 xbox with a TSOP flash to a 1.6 modchipped xbox. Keep in mind that a modchip is another thing that can break.

I went ahead and reballed the solder joints on my Aladdin XS. At 400°C the solder iron seemed to melt the chip's board pretty fast O_O. Anyway, the chip seems to boot reliably now. Does anyone know how I can enable the chip to always run? With the Aladdin XT you would connect the "BT" solder point with another point on the chip. But I do not know what to do for the Aladdin XS. In my xbox, "BT" is currently connected to a tiny SMD resistor (labeled R3G6) in the front top of the mobo, while the modchip itself is below the mobo.

Getting those German tutorial files to display required me to host them on my web server. For your convenience I converted that web page to a PDF: link

Edited by Tosnic
added content