OGXbox.com

Preparing for Hdd Change Wit Chimp

Voljega

So I will receive the components needed this week or the one after.

This is a hardmodded xbox and I will try to swap a 130 Gb to a 2To one.

Meanwhile I've been studying Chimp usage base on the latest video by Rocky5 but they are some things which are not clear to me.

- Is it better to use cable select or slave for the new hdd ?
- Cocky references a 4s period  to swap ide cable from dvd to new hdd, is it a real thing ?

- Swapping cable before launching chimp right ?
-  First option shown at 10'35 'Select from menu' shoudl be the first one FatX right ?

- Clone from master to slave with a 2TB slave : I want to have F and G both of 950Go size approximatively so I should choose (around 12'19) option 1 C & E and then on the following screen choose 4 'F and G split space evenly' or 5 'Custom F size, G gets the rest'  ?

- As i am on hardmod or tsop do i need to lock the slave after as show near 16'43 or is it not necessary ? I am asking because I seem to remember that in the options of my system the current HDD is shown as not locked

Edited by Voljega

No and that's exactly why I want to clone my dis, because I don't want any bad surprises :)

As I understand it there is alreadys tuff like apps and dash on my C and E so if you do anything with Hexen, it will be missing on boot ?

Anyway, can I have any responses to the other questions in my first message ? Especially the one about F and G size and partitioning ?

I received everything !

However I missed something, acording to here : https://github.com/Rocky5/Chimp261812/blob/master/E Partition/Install instructions.txt

as I have an UnleashX dash I must first use tool XBP Table Writer to make partition of my master F: ?

Or as I won't clone it anyway but recreate new partitions on the slave I don't need it ?

Edited by Voljega

1 hour ago, Voljega said:

I received everything !

However I missed something, acording to here : https://github.com/Rocky5/Chimp261812/blob/master/E Partition/Install instructions.txt

as I have an UnleashX dash I must first use tool XBP Table Writer to make partition of my master F: ?

Or as I won't clone it anyway but recreate new partitions on the slave I don't need it ?

I think the reason the instructions.txt file states that you need to run XBP Table Writer is for non-standard LBA48 configuration of the extended partitions.

A 2 TB HDD doesn't use the more standard F up to 137GBs and G takes the rest. 

I'll see what I can find out and let you know; hopefully before you start cloning with Chimp 261812.  

49 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

I'll see what I can find out and let you know; hopefully before you start cloning with Chimp 261812.  

Thank you for that :)

It alsom seem the 2TB HDD is delivered without jumper for selecting slave/master even if the connection are here in the back of the hdd.

However I seem to remembert that it should work just by cable select ?

I don't have any such jumper anywhere anyway :s

Edited by Voljega

A SATA HDD doesn't have a jumper to select CS/MASTER/SLAVE that's done on the IDE-to-SATA controller.

If your adapter has no MASTER/SLAVE jumper then it most likely won't work with Chimp to clone the HDD as it operates only as a MASTER device on the IDE bus.

I thought I'd catch Rocky5 on discord but he's not online right now.  He was 4 hours ago. :(

Well thank you to everyone especially you @KaosEngineer everything seems to have worked fine !

Just a strange issue where G: sometimes seems to be in conflict with DVD ? When inserting DVD size of G: disappears, leaving only 'free' on dash and I can't launch DVD from the menu entry.

However booting the console with the DVD in it boots it fine, maybe it's a bug of this specific dash, as the use of G: was deactivated by default in this dash coonfig and I had to reactivate it.

Now the real work starts, changing my dash to a best one, transferring the game and adding artwork and also understand why so many of them are not working, freezing or rebooting the console (Blinx, Arctic Thunder, Yager, Super Monkey Ball, etc...)

It doesn't seem to be an issue with rips as several different rips of the same game are failing, I even bought Super Monkeyball PAL and the DVD also makes dash reboot....

Well I will not do that today anyway, time to sleep !

And thanks again everyone !

IMG_20190409_225959419.jpg

Edited by Voljega

seems everything is fine ?

did you ask about DVD / G: issue or the one about games rebooting the console ?

for the second one I found a forum thread telling (for Super Monkeyball) to change settings in UNleashX video display, puttng Auto Switch to Yes and Multi Region to NTSC M, but the first one was already done and changing the second from PAL to NTSC M does nothing, console still reboots

IMG_20190410_185433321.jpg

IMG_20190410_185448952.jpg

• 3 weeks later...