OGXbox.com

Average Temperatures?

I went through my stack of Xbox consoles recently to get them all cleaned up, modified, refurbished, and of course replaced the old thermal paste with new Arctic Silver 5. I was curious as to what average temperatures you all see on your consoles, and under what conditions?

While going through so many consoles this week, I noticed my 1.6 consoles in general run a few degrees Celsius hotter than the rest of my consoles. In general under normal use and load I'll see my consoles hover at around 55-57°C, while as the 1.6 consoles I have run maybe 3-5°C hotter. Getting new thermal paste on could help a tiny bit, but it just seems these consoles want to run at the temperature they want to run at! The biggest difference I've seen is a 1.6 running hottest at 62°C after maybe 10-15 minutes of use, it probably could have gone higher but I turned it off. After a good cleaning and repasting, it didn't go over 60°C.

The lowest I've seen while idling was maybe 42°C, surprisingly after keeping it on all night! To make sure the consoles are all good, I'll generally keep them on for a night to let FTP transfers finish up. I checked on one in the morning after being left in a cold room all night, and it was just coasting at a low 40ish. Although using it for a bit heated it right back up!

Edited by MrMario2011

My water cooled rig is around 30-40C... 40C when not running the fans, I think it was the temp you were describing before I made that switch. I believe throwing some MX4 or IC diamond on the original blocks did help the temps a bit. MX4 seems to have worked better for me, and is a bit more easy to work with in my opinion.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrMario2011 said:

I'll be switching over to MX-4 once I exhaust this AS5! I've heard great things about MX-4. AS5 isn't bad, it just does the job, and it does it well enough to last and not make the system hotter.

Not sure how much it matters but.

LTT, and a few others did a review of all the different thermal pastes and found MX4 performs a bit better than AS5 in terms of heat transfer, machines run slightly hotter with AS5. Of course they all lose to liquid metal, but not gonna play with that stuff.

Check it out :-).