OGXbox.com

So Many Basic Questions .

Voljega

Well I'm just discovering modding scene this year and I have a hard time understanding some basic things or finding some proper explanations for them.

I bought an already hardmodded xbox so I don't even know much about what is in it and how ot modify it.

Basically I have an UnleashX dash and I was able to upload games, play them, and change my region from PAL to NTSC to unlock higher resolutions.

But now my current goal is to change my HDD to a 2To one and there are many things I don't know/understand and can't find much on it.

- I will be using latest CHIMP and when I read instructions (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Rocky5/Chimp261812/master/E Partition/Install instructions.txt), I'm not sure was 'installing means in that context, is it just copying the files to one of the liste folder or is there something more to do ?

- I was told my dash seems to not be the latest  version, I know I can get the last version here https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodding-Tool/tree/master/Extras Disc/Softmod/dashboards but when I look at the full path of that file in the git repo I'm not sure if I can use that with an hardmodded console ? And if I can what is the exact process to upgrade my dah or even install a new one ?

- Same thing for the bios should I upgrade it and if yes how can I do that and with what tool ?

- I'm asking those questions about dash and bios mostly because I fear that obsolete versions of them could lead to problem when cloning my disk with CHIMP, but I also definitely plan to install a new dash when the change of hdd will be done

- Is there a magic tool which would allow me to have a full view of what is installed in my modded xbox ? especially what bios and what version ?

If it is hardmodded then you should open it up and see what type of chip you have installed. This will then tell you what options you have regarding dashboard path etc or indeed if it is actually hardmodded.

Do you have any logos appear during bootup besides the normal Xbox stuff?

1 hour ago, Voljega said:

I will be using latest CHIMP and when I read instructions (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Rocky5/Chimp261812/master/E Partition/Install instructions.txt), I'm not sure was 'installing means in that context, is it just copying the files to one of the liste folder or is there something more to do ?

The Install instructions.txt file explains how to install the Chimp 261812 application itself.  Where it should be placed on the Xbox HDD to run it.

I was told my dash seems to not be the latest  version, I know I can get the last version here https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodding-Tool/tree/master/Extras Disc/Softmod/dashboards but when I look at the full path of that file in the git repo I'm not sure if I can use that with an hardmodded console ? And if I can what is the exact process to upgrade my dah or even install a new one ?

What version of UnleashX is it?

Same thing for the bios should I upgrade it and if yes how can I do that and with what tool ?

To get started on this check UnleashX's System Info page - scroll down till you see the Kernel version value.  What does it show?

Is there a magic tool which would allow me to have a full view of what is installed in my modded xbox ? especially what bios and what version ?

No.  Need to know the Xbox version, kernel version, dashboard version, directory list of the files on the C, E, F and/or G drives - at least the root folder list to get started.

Post pictures of the modchip and any external switchboard so we can determine which is installed, what BIOS is best to use with it and how to reflash it.

OK thank you  for all that, I will do it and post some pictures as soon  as I can

In the meantime, there is already these ones I did : https://imgur.com/a/8zzuZQR

So Unleash X seems to be 0.39.0222A Build 572

For kernel/BIOS, if it's one I see in picture it shos 1.0.5838.1 but I suppose I need to know which one it is also

and for Chimp 'installing' just mean copying the file to one the right folder, there nothing more to do ?

Edited by Voljega
additional information

18 hours ago, Voljega said:

And for Chimp 'installing' just mean copying the file to one the right folder, there nothing more to do ?

Pretty much! Installing to the right folder is important. Otherwise, CHIMP itself will mostly walk through the process for you. 

If you’re upgrading to a SATA drive and have a lot of data on your original, make sure to install the 80-wire cable for your upgraded drive for the clone. It can make an unrealistically long clone into an overnight process. 

To to install a new dash as your primary, or dual-boot a dash, you can just boot the extras disc and choose the “dashboards” option. 

The extras disc also has an option to upgrade your current softmod to Rocky5, although I’m not certain as to whether or not this works properly on a hardmodded console. I’d generally suggest it, in the event it doesn’t somehow damage the function of your console. Don’t see why it would though. 

Edited by Magicaldave

Thank you !

Yeah I have a lot of games on the original disc but I figured I will juste delete them before cloning to reduce cloning process time...

For the extras disc, I just have again to copy all this to an Applications folder ? https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodding-Tool/tree/master/Extras Disc

I was sure I had seen an iso in these repo at some point but I must be mistaken

Edited by Voljega

On 4/4/2019 at 1:54 AM, Magicaldave said:

The extras disc also has an option to upgrade your current softmod to Rocky5, although I’m not certain as to whether or not this works properly on a hardmodded console. I’d generally suggest it, in the event it doesn’t somehow damage the function of your console. Don’t see why it would though.  

Actually Rocky5 himself in the video on his yt channel for Advanced Extra Disc says to never do that as it will break the xbox, so best no to doit I guess !

13 hours ago, Voljega said:

Actually Rocky5 himself in the video on his yt channel for Advanced Extra Disc says to never do that as it will break the xbox, so best no to doit I guess !

I have to admit I’m genuinely confused by this  as I’ve got a TSOP’ed console I just upgraded from SID like two weeks ago. Perhaps this is specifically in reference to chipped consoles?

Either way, if your console is chipped Rocky5’s ain’t gonna get you much you don’t already have. *maybe* dual-boot functionality if it’s a lower end chip. Plus rocky’s Ain’t saving you from keyed HDDs, whereas your chip/TSOP will. 

Yes, actually I just want to change my dash to XBMC4Gamers, using Rocky5 Extra Disc or not...

I believe the button in UnleashX to open settings is Y?

you can use this to figure out where your dash actually is, like E:/Dash/default.xbe or whatever. 

If you don’t wanna use the disc, you can just replace this with whatever dash you want. In this case probably a prebuilt version or XBMC4xbox from the hit page or elsewhere. 

I'd suggest creating a shortcut to XBMC4Gamers stored on the F or G drive instead of placing it on the C drive (e.g., F:\Apps\XBMC4Gamers\ or G:\Apps\XBMC4Gamers).

Use Xbe Shortcut Maker v2.0 to create a small Xbox executable (xbe file) named evoxdash.xbe to replace the current C:\evoxdash.xbe that will run F:\Apps\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe (use the correct complete path to the application's default.xbe file) .

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

I'd suggest creating a shortcut to XBMC4Gamers stored on the F or G drive instead of placing it on the C drive (e.g., F:\Apps\XBMC4Gamers\ or G:\Apps\XBMC4Gamers).

Use Xbe Shortcut Maker v2.0 to create a small Xbox executable (xbe file) named evoxdash.xbe to replace the current C:\evoxdash.xbe that will run F:\Apps\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe (use the correct complete path to the application's default.xbe file) .

That does seem cleaner ! When you say complete path it's a windows path right, not a linux one ?