OGXbox.com

Hdd Change Grocery List

Voljega

So I will try upgrading my HDD in a few months (start of june)

For the record my xbox is a hardmodded one and I don't know too much what is in it but will investigate further before doing the hdd swap, and also try to update to latest bios / dash / everything before doing the actual updgrade.

In the meantime I want to buy the three things I need, but as I am french, I need to find them on the french amazon, otherwise I will pay too much transportation and duty fees.

Here's what I got, can anyone confirm it's good ? I want to minimize compatibility issues and everything...

40 pin 80 wire cable : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B004YZKCHI/?coliid=I3NUREUHYK5YWY&colid=12JUDL34SP51N&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

harddrive : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B013QFRS2S/?coliid=I3KTO9OQZNBV21&colid=12JUDL34SP51N&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

IDE to SATA adapter is the main issue, I am not sure I can find the startech everyone is using on french amazon or is it this one ?

https://www.amazon.fr/StarTech-com-Adaptateur-Convertisseur-Graveur-Optique/dp/B00EOJNGC2/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=startech+ide+sata&qid=1554184832&s=computers&sr=1-2

Thank you for your help :)

For the record, I spoke about my unit there :

Thank you for your answer :)

didn't find the one you mention on amazon fr, only this one https://www.amazon.fr/DeLOCK-Converter-carte-adaptateur-dinterfaces/dp/B002V9OKPE/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=Delock+61702&qid=1554195917&s=computers&sr=1-1-fkmrnull

is it ok ?

for 10 euros difference, it's ok, but I would prefer to take the one with the highest compatibility and less trouble ?

Either of the two adapters you’ve linked are both driven by the Marvell 88SA8052 chipset. That’s what’s necessary for the best compatibility. Although, the DeLock adapter has an additional LED. My star tech adapter has slots for one if you really want it, but Inprefer not to have one. 

There’s lots of docs out there about the actual cloning process, thanks to Rocky5 it’s pretty easy these days. 

Sorry not sure I understood, you prefer not to have additional LED ?

Why ? Because it takes too much place ?

Well I will order in a few minutes :)

For the docs yeah I have seen a lot of docs / youtube etc... not everything is clear though...

Before that I also will have likely to update my dash and bios as they are likely not the most recent ones, and have no idea how to do that

That's one of the last few releases of UnleashX - the one I prefer to use as it doesn't have the FTP server bug that shows up when using the FileZilla FTP client on a PC.  The Xbox's root directory listing the drive letters has extraneous date strings added to the front of the letters.  Makes it impossible to click browse directly into one of the drive partitions.  You have to manual enter which to go into in the remote directory box (e.g. /C/ - to get to the files and folders stored on the Xbox's C drive).

1.0.5838.1 can be either the stock v1.6 Xbox's BIOS or EvolutionX's M8plus BIOS which is their latest release.  Since the EvoX shield is displayed in the flubber animation, it's not the stock MS BIOS but EvoX. It could be M8 instead M8plus, I've not checked to see if it also used the same kernel version.  

Thus, neither is too old to be of use.  

• 4 weeks later...

No, not that HDE adapter. There's a different version that has the IDE port and power Molex connector on one side and a combined SATA data and power connector on the other - HDE 2 pack IDE-to-SATA adapters

Buy at least 2 so you hopefully get one that's not dead on arrival (DOA). 

Some people have had no problems and others get a few dead ones when received.

Bad capacitors and soldering passed through poor quality control screening.

2 hours ago, sandog said:

how about this one? What else would I need? Also what cable will work and what is the biggest HDD you can use?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOJNGC2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Yes, that one.  2TB should be all you need.  3TB if you want a smidgen more but you won't be able to take advantage of the extra 1 TB.

Like @Ging3rguy, I have used the StarTech 18".  I have also used a black MSI 18" cable.  There's a junky, super bright yellow one that I bought off of Amazon and the middle connector slid up and down the ribbon cable so I'd stay far away from that one. 

If you want to connect the DVD drive, you just need to flip the cable around so that the blue connector goes into the HDD adapter.  Just go slow and fold the cable properly so that the top lid doesn't poke into the cable close to where the screw goes to fasten the HDD plastic caddy to the DVD drive caddy.

You can opt for a 24" cable but they are more expensive.

4 minutes ago, TEK Nemesis said:

This is what I have in my cart. Please let me know if I need anything else.

WD Blue 2TB PC Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD20EZRZ

IDE to SATA Hard Drive or Optical Drive Adapter Converter - 40-Pin PATA to 2.5" SATA HDD / SSD / ODD Converter

StarTech.com 18in Dual Drive Ultra ATA IDE Hard Drive Cable

Ximimark Aladdin XT-4032 Machine Readable Original Mod Chip Suitable for XBOX1 Generation Machine Gaming Console Repair 1Pcs