OGXbox.com

XBox Mini Case

ShinGoutetsu

So the laser cut top pieces arrived but I forgot to allow for tolerances so I have to sand the edges a bit. I have now amended the .dxf so that it takes fit tolerances into consideration. 

I've also started printing another prototype which takes into account all of the small changes I've made and test fitted the controller ports and IR eye.

xbox mini faceplates.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DobaMuffin said:

Looking really good. How are the screens mounted to the case? I see the holes for them, but couldn't see anything to mount them to it.

There are small screw posts on the underside but they could also be epoxied into place. The posts make it more tricky to 3d print but it's doable by slicing the back top edge and printing that separately, then printing the top part upside down.

They are currently not screwed or glued but are just held in place by the fact it's a snug fit. This isn't the final case so I don't want to fix them into it

xbox mini 40.jpg

20 hours ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

Awesome, it's good to see another person from the old x-s days still on the scene! Thanks, we didn't have 3d printing back then so I had to make do 😄

Its a real loss to the community x-s was my goto site and so many shortcuts and guides I had went there. Never had the sense to offline copy anything as I just thought it would always be there.

3 hours ago, big F said:

Its a real loss to the community x-s was my goto site and so many shortcuts and guides I had went there. Never had the sense to offline copy anything as I just thought it would always be there.

I believe you can still find snapshots of the site on archive.org's wayback machine, just type the sites full web address into the search bar.

Unfortunately it's very incomplete and with a lot of missing pages but tuxuser has put a mostly functional forum archive up. It's read only and it wouldn't let me log in but a lot of the old info and tutorials are still there, just click on the forums tab on the main page:

https://xbox-scene.site/index.php.html

Edited by ShinGoutetsu

2 hours ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

I believe you can still find snapshots of the site on archive.org's wayback machine, just type the sites full web address into the search bar.

Unfortunately it's very incomplete and with a lot of missing pages but tuxuser has put a mostly functional forum archive up. It's read only and it wouldn't let me log in but a lot of the old info and tutorials are still there, just click on the forums tab on the main page:

https://xbox-scene.site/index.php.html

Nice will check it out 

So I've revised things again, now the HDD attaches to the underside of the top piece eliminating the need for a hdd bracket at all, thanks for the idea @sweetdarkdestiny :)

This frees up more motherboard mount points for different CPU and GPU heatsink options, I might be scrapping my cpu bracket and going with 2 Evercool VC-RF VGA & Chipset Coolers, only £10 each on ebay.

Just waiting on the Star Tech SATA to IDE adapter and more filament to re print the entire case after lots of adjustments, I've gone for some Geeetech silk silver PLA, hopefully it'll look good :)

xbox mini 41.jpg

10 minutes ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

So I've revised things again, now the HDD attaches to the underside of the top piece eliminating the need for a hdd bracket at all, thanks for the idea @sweetdarkdestiny :)

This frees up more motherboard mount points for different CPU and GPU heatsink options, I might be scrapping my cpu bracket and going with 2 Evercool VC-RF VGA & Chipset Coolers, only £10 each on ebay.

Just waiting on the Star Tech SATA to IDE adapter and more filament to re print the entire case after lots of adjustments, I've gone for some Geeetech silk silver PLA, hopefully it'll look good :)

xbox mini 41.jpg

Looks good, to me.

I got some PLA+ in silver and it prints lovely, cheap too.

4 hours ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

What brand?

E-DA from eBay. I have an Ender3 and have a lot of filament, some of the expensive stuff and some from companies who make printers. 
This stuff being the cheapest I have ever bought I just though might be good enough for prototyping and things that I wanted quick etc.

Turns out that it prints really nicely and has a really smooth finish, and the colours are crisp. Also bonus works using the same setting the really expensive stuff I have uses.

I ended up buying several rolls and will buy more once I run out. 

• Like 1

So the new psu arrived today, it's an Inter-Tech mini itx psu (model 88882190)
This claims to output 5v at 12A and can supply up to 200w depending on the AC adapter.
This should mean that no filter caps need to be removed as 12A is plenty when running without a dvd rom and using a 2.5" hdd. Will test as soon as my AC adapter arrives.

157394659_4071101259580168_3266776683761023631_o.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

So the new psu arrived today, it's an Inter-Tech mini itx psu (model 88882190)
This claims to output 5v at 12A and can supply up to 200w depending on the AC adapter.
This should mean that no filter caps need to be removed as 12A is plenty when running without a dvd rom and using a 2.5" hdd. Will test as soon as my AC adapter arrives.

157394659_4071101259580168_3266776683761023631_o.jpg

Do you know where to get that power connector for the 1.0 xbox? I can't quite find it online.

4 minutes ago, DobaMuffin said:

Do you know where to get that power connector for the 1.0 xbox? I can't quite find it online.

Did you mean the whole atx to xbox adapter or just the connector?

If you meant just the connector I got it from ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CH-3-96mm-Connector-Housing-Crimps-2-12-pin-Molex-KK-396-Style-/232550970841?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

If you meant the whole atx to xbox adapter I bought the pcb's from dirtypcbs.com, they have a list of the required smd components printed on the back. It was actually designed by N64 Freak

6 minutes ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

Did you mean the whole atx to xbox adapter or just the connector?

If you meant just the connector I got it from ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CH-3-96mm-Connector-Housing-Crimps-2-12-pin-Molex-KK-396-Style-/232550970841?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

If you meant the whole atx to xbox adapter I bought the pcb's from dirtypcbs.com, they have a list of the required smd components printed on the back. It was actually designed by N64 Freak

Thanks. I was just looking for the connector. I want to eventually create DC-DC power supplies for the original xbox and I would need to source the various connectors to do so.

20 minutes ago, DobaMuffin said:

Thanks. I was just looking for the connector. I want to eventually create DC-DC power supplies for the original xbox and I would need to source the various connectors to do so.

Sounds great, if you ever make one small enough for my mini design I'd be very interested.