OGXbox.com

XBox Mini Case

ShinGoutetsu

Hi all,

I built an xbox mini a few years ago and designed a case based loosely on ghostavels well known xbox mini. I had it laser cut from plexiglass and it turned out ok, but could be better. 

I'm looking into possibly designing in CAD and making the cases but want to see if there's enough interest for it to be a worthwhile venture.

I've attached some pictures of my original, any feedback or suggestions would be great. 

Currently it uses the breakaway part of the controller cables for controller ports, I have only used 2 on mine but 2 more can be added obviously. I also added internal wifi hence an extra cutout on the back to loop a small cat5 to an internally mounted wifi pcb, this could be omitted or the wifi pcb could be directly soldered to the ethernet port (I wanted to retain the port).

There is also a small window for internal IR dongle, again this can be omitted. The 3 smaller "holes" are for hdd act LED, Power LED and network activity. Again optional.

You would need to do the pico psu mod and have some aftermarket cooling for cpu etc (I used Iceberq 4 pro's)

Face plates could be any colour, same for the side/back pieces. Also doesn't have to have the xbmc logo engraved

Thanks

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Acidmank said:

Heya, I would be interested if the price was right.

Given this was made as a one-off what did it cost you?

Also would you sell a kit of sorts.   Case , Pico Psu , Cou cooling fans etc?

What were you thinking?

It cost a fair bit to have the first set of plastics cut but they said once they had the patterns the cost would drop to less than half the original cost. This is before the side pieces are folded and motherboard/fan mounts/internal supports added etc so I would have to factor that in too.

It would just be the case, no internals so you would have to make your own psu adapter, find suitable cooling fans etc

I initially removed 3 caps and had a stuttering boot animation. I ended up using a different psu and replaced 2 of the caps. It was much better after that. The 5v draw on boot is around 10 amps I think so you need a psu that can supply that on startup.

The psu could also be external which would help with temps and you could use the existing psu, just lengthen the wiring and make a case with a fan for it. The only thing would be the requirement for some kind of connector on the rear of the case.

• Like 1

I'll upload these designs once finalised so anyone can have them made up (just in case there is any interest) in whatever format you require. I'm looking at some options in regard to materials and have tweaked the design a bit for better ventilation and rear connector options. Here's a minor update for the front panel, 4 controller port option with size matched IR remote cutout. (I've asked a couple of companies for quotes for manufacture of a few full cases

56584294_2387048144652163_339263748793434112_o.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So it's been a while but I've done a bit more work on this case and intend on releasing the design files so anyone can 3d print one if they choose to (once it's finalised).

I've been 3d modelling the case in fusion 360 and have also designed a hdd bracket for a 2.5" hdd/ssd and a bracket to mount the xerc2 IR eye. I'm hoping to test print soon as my 3d printer is capable of large prints, I just need to work out the best way of printing it. 

I've also included a short animation to show how it goes together.

My plan is to have the main parts of the case (base and upper part) cnc'd from billet aluminium and have the faceplate on top laser cut from 3mm plexiglass/acrylic sheet. The faceplate will be held in place by small thin magnets. I've revised the hdd bracket to make it easier to print

Edited by ShinGoutetsu
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

CPU and GPU bracket for a star tech 1U socket 7 cooler and after market GPU heatsink and fan, hopefully it'll work out ok once I 3d print it

FB_IMG_1602408276316.jpg

I was just looking at my printer busy churning out another thing i “need”, and saw the post notification pop up and thought, at some point i need to design a cooler mount for some aftermarket coolers.

Just now, big F said:

I was just looking at my printer busy churning out another thing i “need”, and saw the post notification pop up and thought, at some point i need to design a cooler mount for some aftermarket coolers.

Well i don't think there's any others out there so why not :)

I havent printed mine yet as I'm still waiting for the gpu heatsink and fan to arrive but if it works out ok I'll upload the stl so anyone else can print it. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, xicat487 said:

Very nice, any updates on the STl bracket outcome?  

Sorry not yet, due to the pandemic I'm on reduced hours at work and so have less income which means my priority right now is just getting by.

Once things are (hopefully) relatively back to normal I'll get back to work on this project 

Nice looking case.

Have you thought about using a version 1.6 board as the power supply has only a 5 and 12 volt rails compared to the others that have a 3.3, 5, 12 rails.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

6 hours ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

Sorry not yet, due to the pandemic I'm on reduced hours at work and so have less income which means my priority right now is just getting by.

Once things are (hopefully) relatively back to normal I'll get back to work on this project 

Oh damn sorry, but love the work you have done so far. I wish to have CAD skills for projects like this. Someday hopefully. 

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Nice looking case.

Have you thought about using a version 1.6 board as the power supply has only a 5 and 12 volt rails compared to the others that have a 3.3, 5, 12 rails.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The atx to xbox adapter im using only comes in v1.0/1 or 1.2/4 versions. I know I could design my own but im just going with what I already have plus I may also do a ram upgrade 

3 hours ago, xicat487 said:

Oh damn sorry, but love the work you have done so far. I wish to have CAD skills for projects like this. Someday hopefully. 

thanks, I'll get round to finishing it soon i hope.

I use fusion 360 which is free for personal use and there's loads of YouTube videos on how to use it, you could give it a go