OGXbox.com

Q1. What Dash and Why? - Your Personal Choice Explained.

Acidmank

Hey All. I'm looking at grabbing yet another Xbox and rather than do what i have done in the past, Id like to make a 'Best of the Best' setup.

This will be the console I keep out for use.  ( as opposed to dragging it out to play )

Id like to know what you are running and why?   What makes you choose that dash?

(This will be the 1st of more questions asked in different areas of the Greater forum so keep your eyes peeled.)

i use XBMC with the games only mod. take a bit the setup but it looks the most "modern" which is the main reason I use it.

other dashes are dated, but they bring a certain nostalgic feeling with them. so guess it come down to how you feel about.

as far as features go XBMC has most if not all of them and still see's updates every now and again.

heres my setup

Edited by abazz009

• 2 months later...

I like the standard unleashx as it was the first dash I used and xbmc for the newer look and options. Just started using Rocky’s xbmc4gamers and I like the personalisation options but I am still finding my way around as to where everything is after using unleashx and xbmc for so long.

UnleashX is definitely the most intuitive. It took me a couple days just to be able to Navigate XBMC4GAMERS, especially since the overscan on my tv initially cut off all the button prompts at the bottom. I even managed to break it completely a couple times by signing out accidentally at the wrong time. 

• 7 months later...

For pure gaming and day to day general use it is UnleashX (v572) for me. I have hundreds of skins I cycle through, changing each one daily and plenty of those I've significantly customised to add video previews, changed fonts, colours and redesigned other features to have them in more sensible positions on screen. Doing all that is a a practically endless project and one reason why I use UnleashX in preference to XBMC which is far more difficult to customise in the same way.

However I have a Xbox set up my kitchen specifically for music, videos and DVDs. No controller just the remote + dongle. For that it is XBMC all the way using the update version of the Xbox Classic skin which, after a few tweaks, one of which I managed to do myself, works perfectly with XBMC v3.5.3.

That's not my favourite version though. IMHO the developers of XBMC messed up the v3.0 series file manager's copying/move GUI making the progress bar and status dialogue box only appears at the start of any any copying/move process. It means that with multiple folders the thing flashes on and off for a few seconds each time rendering it utterly useless. With skins, like the Xbox Classic, which do not have any separate animated indication that XBMC is in the middle of a copying/move process, it is even worse.

What's barking mad is that when you're deleting files/folders you get a progress bar and status box on screen all the time. I must make it clear this is a XBMC v3.5.3 issue not a skin one. You can use an older version of XBMC with the same skin and the progress bar/status box are permanently displayed. When copying anything that's what I use with a just such an older version of XBMC installed as an app for that purpose.

• 3 months later...