OGXbox.com

Running Coinops8 On 1.4/ 1.5ghz?

Ewok0815

Hi guys. Just got my upgraded 1.5Ghz/ 128mb hoping to have that extra emulation boost on certain games while running via jamma connector on my arcade cab. I just realized that CoinOps doesn't seem to be too happy about my upgrade since the preview videos in the UI won't play smoothly anymore. Also... I couldn't find a way to set a throttle for the games as they are all running way too fast now. There is the overclock feature ingame setting when pushing back and right thumb stick. Decreasing the overclock is not fine enough and I couldn't match the og game speed as well as the sound seems still off. Does anybody have any experience running an upgraded box with CoinOps? Maybe I need to switch the emulator which supports an automatic throttle? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

i attached xbepatcher to this post, use that.... use it on every xbe you plan to play on that box.

what i would do is open your ftp program and open the coinops folder, sort by file type and select ALL OF THE XBE files in the coinops folder.

drag them to a folder on your pc (make 2 folders to easily back them up, i literally name one "coinops xbe patched" "coinops xbe stock") run the xbe patcher and select "dir" as the first option, you want to select the folder labeled patched (obviously), set the patcher to 128mb ram and whichever cpu you have. 

drag the patched xbe's to the coinops folder on ftp and overwrite all, that will solve your problem.

XBEPatcher.exe

• Like 1

Dude... what can I say. That did the trick! The games within CoinOps now seem to work great! Okay... still have those jiggering preview videos in the UI. Any clue about that issue? Do I need to match the exact Mhz when patching. I choose the DreamX (1480) for now. As far as I know I have a couple more in the specs of about 1512 Mhz or so. But I heard the builder say it is the same Speed as the DreamX. You think this matters and may fix the jiggering videos? Thanks so much for your help wikati!

Cheers,

Dan

Uh... doesn't seem to work with Chihiro games right? Just tested VC3 and it freezes in the "warning" screen after loading up. Not sure about my copy though. Had no success yet to find the package with the 3 games including the Chihiro launcher. If anybody has it uploaded anywhere... ;)

yep... tried on VC3. If leaving original I am able to get at least to the next screen before freezing. 

BTW... found out that the jiggering UI videos in CoinOps are working fine when switching to music instead of sound. So... seems like an audio glitch during playback of the game video files. With just music enabled it works just great. 

On 3/23/2019 at 6:09 PM, Ewok0815 said:

Dude... what can I say. That did the trick! The games within CoinOps now seem to work great! Okay... still have those jiggering preview videos in the UI. Any clue about that issue? Do I need to match the exact Mhz when patching. I choose the DreamX (1480) for now. As far as I know I have a couple more in the specs of about 1512 Mhz or so. But I heard the builder say it is the same Speed as the DreamX. You think this matters and may fix the jiggering videos? Thanks so much for your help wikati!

Cheers,

Dan

im confused about that cpu, (desperately want one)

what does it report in system info on xbmc?

ask the builder about patching, i dont think you can hurt anything experimenting with custom speed on an xbe.

the videos in coinops should run smooth - i know exactly what you mean, i experience the same thing.. but it always smooths it out after patching.

make sure you got the 'default.xbe' in the coinops folder, that would be the one to smooth video

• Like 1

@Ewok0815 That's quite simple you have to choose 1512Mhz. The DreamX while called DreamX-1480 in reality has a clock speed of 1512mhz! The DreamX option in the patcher probably has the wrong clock frequency set for it.

@wikati His console does report 1512Mhz in system info. Depending on tolerances it does sometimes show up as 1508-1516Mhz and the shown value does sometimes change a little on every restart. You can see the same behaviour on a stock xbox too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It all works flawless right now. Thanks alot to wikati and N64 Freak. Struggling just a bit with Sound in NBA Jam. Game runs at full speed but sounds seems to double now and then. Played a bit with the overclocking feature of CPU01... which should be the one for the sound as far as I know. Couldn't find the sweet spot for now. Besides that... I am so happy to have that beast running with my cab. No more slow downs. All Emulation at full speed. Including KI I and II. Even Virtua Fighter is running like a charm. Truly a DreamBox and I can highly recommend the outstanding craftsmanship of N64 Freak here.

Just found a limitiation within CoinOps though. There are at least two games (The Outfoxies and Mach Breakers) where the sound has been disabled to make them run on a stock Box. Well... I would love to enable the sound now and just can't figure out how to do it. Searched for config files... nothing. Tried through dip switches during game.... nothing (all options enabled already). The rom file is the exact same as I have on my PC... which has sound emulated correctly. Does anybody know how I can tell CoinOPs to enable sound for these? Must be an exception written somewhere... just don't know where to look. Any help would be awesome.

Cheers,

Dan

Ewok0815, for Chihiro what pack are you using?  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jtKjtvfOOZi50BL5MD09IQUz9R5lxOqc

That's my pack, works and tested with 128mb of ram. The XBE files in the Sega Chihiro folder are just shortcuts to the xbe's in the root folders. So you really just need to patch the games located in the root of F or G (wherever you place them). 

Edited by Incursion64

Ahhhh.... the second part of your post was missing in the first place. So I thought you were asking for help ;) Thanks for the link. Works great now. Whats interesting... VC3 seems to be the only one which isn't running using component signal in my cab. With composite/ scart on a simple flatscreen in works. Strange behavior. OutRun2 and Ghost Squad working great either way.

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2019 at 5:13 PM, Incursion64 said:

Ewok0815, for Chihiro what pack are you using?  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jtKjtvfOOZi50BL5MD09IQUz9R5lxOqc

That's my pack, works and tested with 128mb of ram. The XBE files in the Sega Chihiro folder are just shortcuts to the xbe's in the root folders. So you really just need to patch the games located in the root of F or G (wherever you place them). 

Is there any update to this link? It gives an error.

On 3/23/2019 at 5:25 PM, Ewok0815 said:

Uh... doesn't seem to work with Chihiro games right? Just tested VC3 and it freezes in the "warning" screen after loading up. Not sure about my copy though. Had no success yet to find the package with the 3 games including the Chihiro launcher. If anybody has it uploaded anywhere... ;)

PM sent. --- Strike that someone else already posted the link to it.