Slim XBox Build Log

I'm starting a slim xbox project in my spare time. Updates may be infrequent. :P The idea is hopefully to keep the entire box under 50mm thickness. I want to try and cram in a 2TB 2.5" HDD with SATA adaptor, a picoPSU, and Ryzee's wireless 360 controller board. The motherboard is a 1.0 that I've TSOP flashed and upgraded with 128MB RAM. It's going to be a very tight squeeze for sure.

I've modeled a case for it that needs to be 3D printed--though the expense from Shapeways is a bit much for me right now, and it's too big for the local printers! The edge of the case will be sanded and wrapped with a brushed metallic vinyl. The top acrylic will be attached using press-in brass inserts and machine screws.

The bottom of the case will be a frosted LED diffusing acrylic. Hopefully, I will have room to put some LEDs underneath for a nice soft glow. :)

Today I started by attaching the cooling solution. I'm using a Dynatron A48G that I've drilled and tapped so I can attach it from the bottom. Two nylon washers were used to ensure proper mounting pressure without bending the motherboard PCB. I was planning on using a 120mm slim fan (only 15mm thick!) as my active cooling, but if I'm low on space and can't fit something I may have to use a 92mm instead. Right now with the 120mm fan it runs at 46c CPU, 40c M/B which is sufficient.

HGo4yG7.jpg

94fUL5b.jpg

a7jyW2A.png

wVyMhlU.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, neighbor said:

looks cool.

how will you connect the 2.5" sata HDD, will you cut the IDE ribbon somehow, and what IDE2SATA converter will you use?

I'll probably just buy a correctly sized IDE cable. I'm using this generic converter and it works fine, though the clearance is a bit tight. Right now the plan is to stack the Ryzee 360 board and the gutted 360 receiver on top of the hard drive itself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pata-IDE-to-Serial-ATA-SATA-3-5-HDD-Hard-Drive-DVD-Converter-Adapter-Card/141951989539

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Logh3f82
      I'm thinking of cleaning the inside of my xbox but i wonder if it is save to take the sink off and if yes do i just rip it off bby force or do i need something that shoots direct heat onto it in order to get it off.
    • By lavaphoenix
      Hi everyone, I have a tsoped original xbox ver. 1.1 motherboard, clock capacitor removed, and running indi-bios. In rare occasions, when I turn on the console..I get a flashing green light with no image nor sound on screen. What can the green flashing light code mean? I tried unplugging the console from power strip, pressing/holding power button for 30sec. and when I re-connect the console and turn it on..I still get a flashing green light. But usually the console turns on fine. I'm not sure if it's a bad ribbon cable, or a bad sata adapter. I do know I have a foxcom IDE ribbon cable, and I do have a good quality sata adapter. The capacitors on power supply and motherboard look fine, they are not bloated, nor leaking. (capacitors look new)

Thanks in advance
    • By Hari125
      Hi! I have a softmodded xbox (PAL) and i am having a problem while playing some games or running some apps.
      Here is what i am talking about:

There is weird black line that shouldn't be there.
      I'm not having the same problem with dashes (UnleashX, XBMC, MS Dash), games like Doom 3, Call of Duty 3, SSX 3 or some apps (example: having problem with dvd2xbox v0.7.8, but not with version 0.7.4).

As shown in the picture, I think the red section should be over the green one (on the top). Maybe there is something wrong with my tv (toshiba model: 32XV500P). I also tried different settings, but nothing changed.

Board Life Status

Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.