OGXbox.com

Slim XBox Build Log

anode

I'm starting a slim xbox project in my spare time. Updates may be infrequent. :P The idea is hopefully to keep the entire box under 50mm thickness. I want to try and cram in a 2TB 2.5" HDD with SATA adaptor, a picoPSU, and Ryzee's wireless 360 controller board. The motherboard is a 1.0 that I've TSOP flashed and upgraded with 128MB RAM. It's going to be a very tight squeeze for sure.

I've modeled a case for it that needs to be 3D printed--though the expense from Shapeways is a bit much for me right now, and it's too big for the local printers! The edge of the case will be sanded and wrapped with a brushed metallic vinyl. The top acrylic will be attached using press-in brass inserts and machine screws.

The bottom of the case will be a frosted LED diffusing acrylic. Hopefully, I will have room to put some LEDs underneath for a nice soft glow. :)

Today I started by attaching the cooling solution. I'm using a Dynatron A48G that I've drilled and tapped so I can attach it from the bottom. Two nylon washers were used to ensure proper mounting pressure without bending the motherboard PCB. I was planning on using a 120mm slim fan (only 15mm thick!) as my active cooling, but if I'm low on space and can't fit something I may have to use a 92mm instead. Right now with the 120mm fan it runs at 46c CPU, 40c M/B which is sufficient.

HGo4yG7.jpg

94fUL5b.jpg

a7jyW2A.png

wVyMhlU.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, neighbor said:

looks cool.

how will you connect the 2.5" sata HDD, will you cut the IDE ribbon somehow, and what IDE2SATA converter will you use?

I'll probably just buy a correctly sized IDE cable. I'm using this generic converter and it works fine, though the clearance is a bit tight. Right now the plan is to stack the Ryzee 360 board and the gutted 360 receiver on top of the hard drive itself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pata-IDE-to-Serial-ATA-SATA-3-5-HDD-Hard-Drive-DVD-Converter-Adapter-Card/141951989539

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...