OGXbox.com

XEcuter 2 3b Lite ( Not Plus ) Install Issues Frag / Boot Loop

Hazeno

Ok guys got an issue that is getting on my wick. 

Slapped a 2.3b Lite into a 1.6, used a clone LPC Rebuild Kit and proceeded to boot the console.

D0 was connected to the board and ground was connected to the screw hole as usual.

As soon as you put power to the console it will boot up then reset 2 times before FRAGGING. Only when D0 is connected and chip is off. With chip on with M8 1.6 Bios I can get a boot with Evo shield but it hangs after that and still turns on as soon as a power cord is plugged in. Front panel doesn't work at all. 

Remove the chip or D0, and it'll boot fine to the original softmod it came from. 

I've reworked it with my iron, even given it a hot air rework. Which point is most likely the culprit? Apologies on the lead free solder. Was using a friends over my own. 

20190314_211311.jpg

20190314_211248.jpg

20190314_211245.jpg

20190314_211252.jpg

20190314_211311.jpg

8 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Will it boot Hexen 2018 disc with the modchip installed and D0 connected?

You can't generally have both a modchip BIOS boot and a softmod installed.  But, that usually doesn't hang where you say but goes to a black/empty screen when you expect to see the dashboard.

Yes it will, but I have no access to the power button or eject button as they don't work when connected. 

As soon as power is connected it boots. Which leads me to believe it's usually a soldering issue. But all points look nice, ibe reflowed them and tested the chip in another xbox to verify it works. It's actually how I flashed the 1.6 BIOS to bank 2. 

It now boots to black screen, but that's down to softmod files, but it won't turn off due to the front panel issue. ( Which works fine without D0 / Chip ) 

7 minutes ago, Hazeno said:

It now boots to black screen, but that's down to softmod files, but it won't turn off due to the front panel issue. ( Which works fine without D0 / Chip ) 

I think it has something to do with how the chip should be powered.  The 1.6 console has 5Vdc supplied to the LPC header as long as AC is plugged in.  Older console versions did not.  Pin 6 has to be connected to an alternative switched 5Vdc supply source.

That may be the only change you need to make.  Pull pin 6 and connect a wire from the alternative 5Vdc supply to the correct pad/pin location on the back of the modchip.

9 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

I think it has something to do with how the chip should be powered.  The 1.6 console has 5Vdc supplied to the LPC header as long as AC is plugged in.  Older console versions did not.  Pin 6 has to be connected to an alternative switched 5Vdc supply source.

That may be the only change you need to make.  Pull pin 6 and connect a wire from the alternative 5Vdc supply to the correct pad/pin location on the back of the modchip.

That's exactly what I was looking for in the first place! How did you find that archived post lol. I'll get to work. Thanks KaosEngineer for saving my ass again!

The Wayback Machine - web.archive.org - search for the website - www.xbox-scene.com - then went to the modchips page.  Found that guide listed in the Gen3b (non-cheapmod based) table column for X2.x lite chips. Towards the bottom, there's a row for guides on how to install the modchips. In the column that included the X2.3b lite modchip, there was a link listed for installing it in a v1.6 console.

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, link42586 said:

I have A 2.3b pro with no dipswitches..Can I still install this and have it work? I don't care about switching bios I just need one. But again. No dipswitches anymore

Best start a new topic with your query to get an answer instead of hijacking someone else's question. Go here and click on the Start new topic button.