OGXbox.com

Red Flashing Led

nikeymikey

Hi all, I have an X3 modded box that I have been painstakingly adding the Xbox game collection to over to. Last night while testing a few games the screen froze and when I looked at the Xbox I had a flashing red led. I assumed I had overheated for some reason and so I went to bed and left it to cool down.

i have just switched it on again and it’s stone cold and still had the flashing red led, also my x3 chip is always disabled. Anybody have any ideas what’s going on? 

Im going to take it all apart and rebuild it again see if that helps. 

The last mods I did were to replace the fan with a Noctua one and to replace the thermal paste on the cpu/gpu. This was few days ago and it’s been running fine until now...

The chip may have died. 

Read the data from it - Raspberry Pi and PiPROM software or PC with Xbox EEPROM reader and PonyProg software. Store it on your PC in the file eeprom.bin and open it with LiveInfo Beta 3 Xbox v1.6 by Yoshihiro.  If it cannot decode it, it's corrupted.

Or, you can save the EEPROM's content with evoxdash's backup menu option. Evoxdash stores it to the eeprom.bin file in the backup folder. The backup folder is created in the path where you run evoxdash from (e.g. evoxdash in C:\ then you'll find eeprom.bin in the C:\backup folder along with several other files it created).

You could run the Xbox app ConfigMagic-Xbox v1.6-Final and see if it gets an error when it reads the EEPROM's content. 

Anyway, a RED flashing eject ring is either an EEPROM error or the dashboard has been configured to display it.  The EEPROM being the 8-pin 2048 bit serial configuration EEPROM on the Xbox motherboard.

I am going to get the dead board out again tonight and see if i can read the eeprom, i have my pi all setup for it. I have enough parts knocking about to build fresh box from scratch and a spare x3 that now works (thanks to you Kaos) so ill have a go at buiding a frankenbox tonight :)

• Like 1

Right, I have just read the eeprom and it’s seems to be fine, even wrote the dump back to it, so I believe the eeprom chip is fine. I still get a flashing red ring upon power up tho?? The only other thing I did to this mb recently was replace the thermal paste. Could that of caused this??

The good news I have knocked up a working Xbox using my spares, now to tsop it and get the x3 installed. I like having it tsop’d as a backup 😃

Edited by nikeymikey
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 3:10 PM, nikeymikey said:

Will need to keep an eye on the temps tho just in case my fan isnt doing enough

If you're working on cooling, I have a recommendation for you. This is a tool that has helped me monitor my cooling so i can get it down to a science. I am sure you've probably seen this mod before, but if not, i can link the youtube video and send a couple pics of how i do thing differently so you dont have to get out the hot glue gun.

49649168_314854272485829_3365683617509408768_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Yes please link and pics :)

Step one is to get on eBay and get one of these screens. Beware of people selling them Specifically for "Xbox" as they have the priced jacked way up. They even say in the listing that "This is the best price available ... Qty limited,"....Its the worst price available, and the quantity is not limited. You can get it from an electronic components supplier for much cheaper.

In this video the guy mounts the screen too low and cuts the tabs off the sides of the screen. If you position the screen higher and use a good file to finish the final fitting, rather than using the Dremel all the way to finish, you should be able to use those tabs on the screen for their intended purpose. They should fit right at the hump in the molding on the inside of the face plate to hold the screen tightly in place without ever turning on a hot glue gun. i hate using hot glue if i don't have to, and for this application, you don't have to unless you over cut your hole. Also by moving this up, the molding of the face plate gives you a nice even straight line to follow on the top, so you're guaranteed not to get it in there crooked. Just center it between the port 3 and 4 markers on the face. This makes it very easy to recreate this with consistency, if you're trying to do multiple boxes.

IMG_20190315_211232089.jpg

IMG_20190316_183530316.jpg

IMG_20190316_183547884.jpg

IMG_20190318_191921943.jpg

Edited by Tony Kuberka

8 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Right, I have just read the eeprom and it’s seems to be fine, even wrote the dump back to it, so I believe the eeprom chip is fine. I still get a flashing red ring upon power up tho?? The only other thing I did to this mb recently was replace the thermal paste. Could that of caused this??

The good news I have knocked up a working Xbox using my spares, now to tsop it and get the x3 installed. I like having it tsop’d as a backup 😃

Did you try opening the eeprom.bin file with LiveInfo Beta 3?  Reading/writing can be okay but the checksums could be wrong thus the red flashing eject ring.

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Did you try opening the eeprom.bin file with LiveInfo Beta 3?  Reading/writing can be okay but the checksums could be wrong thus the red flashing eject ring.

Yep, all was fine. I could see all the eeprom details, there was no sign of corruption at all.

The infamous Red Flashing LED Xbox virus. LOL :)

The X3 BIOS settings:

X3 Config Live -> Other Startup Tweaks -> LED Color = ???

Well no, I see it only has a very limited set of options:

• Green (Default)
  • Orange
  • Off
  • Cycle
  • Red

The BIOS, dashboard or stock BIOS error code are the only things I know of that would change the LED ring color.

As for an error, the little blurb about it being an error code states this cryptic fault description:

OS defective in the EEPROM

I'm assuming that meant the configuration EEPROM as IIRC I'd read that others who found their config EEPROM's data being corrupted saw their eject ring flashing RED.

P.S. The console doesn't happen to also have a softmod installed?  Although more often than not, the screen will only be blank when both a modified BIOS and softmod are installed when you expect the dashboard to appear.

• 2 weeks later...

The box will not boot at all with or without the chip. After power on the led is green for about 1 second then immediately turns red and starts flashing. This is before the flubber even has a chance to start on the screen. 

I can read and write to the eeprom with zero issues and every dump ive taken from the eeprom opens up perfectly in LiveInfo and shows zero signs of corruption. 

I have written this off as a hardware failure and committed the motherboard to the spares pile.