OGXbox.com

X3ir Programming Issues.

nikeymikey

Hi all,

i recently acquired and installed an X3ir kit. All went well and it was working perfectly, I was even able to use the usb programmer to change the power on button to my liking. 

However, I now have a strange issue. I dropped the remote on the floor and for some reason the power on button stopped responding, I could still power off using the remote though. So I thought I’d plug in the programmer and redo the settings to see if I could fix it. This time I have not been able to read or write any settings to the X3ir. I can connect to the programmer but I get a cannot retrieve firmware version message every time. 

I have tried connecting, reconnecting, changing all the various options but still no joy. It just worked the first time :) 

Does anyone out there have one of these and has had a similar issue with programming the X3ir?? 

Does you X3IR have a 9-pin serial connector or USB connection to programming it?

Update: Doh, you said USB above missed it being lowercase. The serial port version has an enable/disable switch on the programming adapter board.  Does the USB version have such a switch?

Found some install, use and programming guides on the Wayback Machine for the X3IR with a 9-pin serial programming port.

X3IR-Features_and_Use.pdf

X3IR-FP_Install.pdf

X3IR-Programming.pdf

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

I used to run an x3ir in one of my boxes but they are such a pain to program. I bought my first one new from www.shop01media.com and i bought my second one in a used modded box on eBay that i was buying to gut down for the parts. i had to program my first x3ir with an old Windows XP PC with a com port. i spent 2 weeks trying to figure out how to get a PC to recognize the chip but i finally did get it. i went to put my second one in another box and discovered that it was burnt out so i pulled it out and then i pulled the working one out of the first box and went XERC all the way around. They aren't worth the time and headache.

My best bit of advice on the x3ir is to gut it out of the box, sell it, and get a XERC while they're still available. www.sickmods.net just went offline about 2 months ago but you can still find XERCs on ebay. i don't know how much longer they'll be available however. XERC's are about 20 dollars on ebay, they are WAY EASIER to program (PC not required), and they have more features than the x3ir (Eject, standby lights, etc). They also have a place on them to hook up the Microsoft DVD receiver PCB's IR data line to share the XERC's IR eye, if you're trying to build that in. If you are i recommend a 5v relay so you can still use all 4 of your ports if needed. XERCs, by themselves without a Microsoft DVD PCB and relay, only take a couple hours to install, a half hour if you're an experienced modder.

For how over engineered the x3 and most of its peripherals were, and how much connection potential they had between the motherboard and the power eject PCB where this kit plugs in at, I feel like Team Xecuter really botched the engineering on the x3ir really bad. Its features are way too basic for it being so insanely complicated to work with. I would never go back to an x3ir after using a XERC.

That being said, My entire lot of x3ir stuff is for sale for cheap. I just want shipping, listing fee's and a small 5 dollar donation to ogxbox.com to keep places like this alive for all of us in this community. Any money i receive off this sale will go straight to OGxbox as well. I feel bad about selling this headache to anybody so i dont want any of the money off of them, i just want them gone.

******SOLD*******

Edited by Tony Kuberka
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 3:19 AM, KaosEngineer said:

I'm interested in purchasing for "cheap" as you say for those X3IRs.  PM sent.

Will do a $10 donation to OGXbox.com instead of $5 too.

They're all yours Bro. SOLD!, and thank you for your donation to ogxbox. Much thanks to the creators and moderators of this forum for keeping our community alive!! Keep up the good work and i like the new look of the site!!!

Edited by Tony Kuberka
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

I know somewhere that claims to have stock of them still

I believe you can still get them at Shop01Media too for 39.99 € . You know how i feel about it though Nikeymikey. Get the xerc for 20, you'll be a lot happier with it. You'll definitely thank me once you got a xerc installed. I've installed over 10 xercs with dvd receiver pcbs relayed into port 4 attached to them so if you need help with a xerc install, i will help you. X3irs are garbage, thats why i gave them to kaos for next to nothing and i gave all the money that was left over after i shipped it to this site. Its a garbage mod that, in my opinion, is worth nothing. I've had major headaches with the x3ir, but i currently have 8 boxes in my home that have xercs and i've never even had a hicup of a problem.

Edited by Tony Kuberka
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

I have found them on ebay and will probably buy one soon. They do seem to be selling out quick tho!! 

Yes!! don't wait. i only have one in stock in my toolbox thats not spoken for, so my personal stock will go QUICK if they disappear from eBay. Since i started my rant against x3irs, and for Xercs, in this thread i've gotten messages from other members here asking for information. 4 sold yesterday on ebay and i dont know if his "available stock" on ebay is accurate to what he really physically has, but he's showing only 4 left right now. I think i am peaking the interest in the Xerc market chatting with you and kaos here. Here's a little more to peak that interest in the market, a little something to get you motivated too. I made it really easy for you to wire this up, check out this diagram i threw together tonight for somebody that bought one and then messaged me for assistance.

FULL MS XERC IR INSTALL.jpg

Edited by Tony Kuberka
  • Thanks 1

ORDERED!!!! :)

I doubt i will bother with the dongle pcb, this xbox is purely for games so i dont really need the dongle functions. I will try to mount the xerc's ir eye in the same spot as the x3ir one tho just to keep it nice and hidden :)

Edited by nikeymikey
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

I will try to mount the xerc's ir eye in the same spot as the x3ir one tho just to keep it nice and hidden

You will succeed too. i have 2 mounted in pro switches and one mounted in an x3cp. The x3cp is a little tighter of a fit but it does work. The proswitch fits perfectly.

11 hours ago, Tony Kuberka said:

4 sold yesterday on ebay and i dont know if his "available stock" on ebay is accurate to what he really physically has, but he's showing only 4 left right now.

I heard back from the seller, it looks like xercs are going to be around for a while. :)

We will have more for sale. We have a reliable supplier for the chips, we are not sickmods and we are not having these made. The internet archive has the xerc page archived well. The source code and build information is available and released under GPL v2. If we can't obtain them anymore we can always clone or spin up some PCB ourselves, there have been others who have already done so.

Regards,
John

• Like 1