OGXbox.com

No Action After Ram Installation

neighbor

PROBLEM SOLVED

check the thread for the answer.

Hello, an unusual problem shown up. After ram installation, Xbox started to frag, decided to resolder every leg. After this, system does nothing when the Power Button is clicked. Tried with another power supply, same result. Removed the ram chips, cleared the joints, same thing. It only tries to boot,  the led on the Ethernet port blinks once - then nothing else.

- Xbox Motherboard 1.2

- TSOP-ed with ind bios 5003

- Ethernet port led blinks once (the front panel leds are not active at all)

- RAM chips look to be counterfeit because they have SAMAUNG on it, not SAMSUNG (but after their removal, the problem is still here)

Can somebody point on where I should dig, please?

Edited by neighbor

What was your source for the extra RAM ?

I also just recently tsopd a 1.2 mobo w/ IND Bios 5003 & did the RAM upgrade & had no issues... Did the system work before the RAM & tsop? If u removed all the extra RAM u installed & cleaned up the pads from any bridges, then the only thing in mind that I think it could be is either a bad tsop flash or random solder splatter from installing the RAM...

• Like 1

How did you solder the RAM? Each leg individually or drag technique with the appropriate solder tip?

If u dragged  make sure u didn't accidently remove or bridge any SMT component next to the RAM pads if u look closely u can see that there are tiny resistors by the pads 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, suwuj12 said:

What was your source for the extra RAM ?

bought from ebay, on the photo they had SAMSUNG on it, when came it was SAMAUNG. The board was working before all these nice happenings. Basically I'm asking maybe somebody has sort of troubleshooting list to diagnose where the problem is, and try to replace the component or maybe find the bridge or so. 

1 hour ago, suwuj12 said:

How did you solder the RAM?

first time it was each individually, second was by draging. Well, thought even if something goes wrong with RAM connections, the Xbox will just frag. I'm thinking about the possibility of damage after blowing hot air to remove the installed ram chips. Will inspect each quadrant of the motherboard and test anything I know how to test. 

btw. made ram installation twice before this one, had standard stuff like frag but then solved. Not this time.

Edited by neighbor

14 hours ago, suwuj12 said:

If u dragged  make sure u didn't accidently remove or bridge any SMT component next to the RAM pads if u look closely u can see that there are tiny resistors by the pads 

this probably was the trouble

inspected everything resoldered every capacitor and resistor in the ram area, now it booted. oh yeah, the tester is your friend.

CASE CLOSED.

Edited by neighbor
  • Like 2

update unrelated to original issue

system had some wavy video distortion on the screen, menu lines were constantly moving like guitar strings, 

solved by replacing swollen capacitors on the cold side of power supply.

Edited by neighbor

19 hours ago, neighbor said:

this probably was the trouble

inspected everything resoldered every capacitor and resistor in the ram area, now it booted. oh yeah, the tester is your friend.

CASE CLOSED.

Glad the info help you solve the dilemma with the RAM... Xblast's RAM tester is definitely needed to trouble shoot...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...