OGXbox.com

Dead Ethernet Port?

miggawhat

Hello guys!

Let me begin by articulating my end goal: I would like to transfer my ripped Xbox games to my HTPC. I'm hoping I can use an Xbox emulator rather than the console. I prefer my PC controller and the HDMI connection on my HTPC. 

Since the day I got it modded, I could never get the XBpx to connect to the internet. I can't connect using the Unleash X dashboard or the regular Xbox dashboard. A few days ago, I bought the "usb to XBox cable" to see if I could transfer the files directly to a usb stick, but I couldn't figure out a way to do that either.. I've watched videos and read posts of how to transfer via FTP, but I can't even get an IP address assigned to the console.

I'm convinced that the ethernet port is dead. However, 1) the light on the ethernet port is on (in the back of the console) and 2) the normal Xbox dashboard recognizes that a cord is connected - it just won't receive an IP address.

If you guys could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong or any alternate method of transferring my games to my HTPC, I would be forever grateful.

I am connected to a "network extender" that connects my home theater equipment to the internet. Here are some pics of my settings and error messages:

IMG_20190210_180924360.jpg

IMG_20190210_180950553.jpg

IMG_20190210_181006821.jpg

IMG_20190210_181146863.jpg

IMG_20190210_184009975.jpg

IMG_20190210_183957394.jpg

Thank you for your response, guys!

I have one of these devices: https://www.belkin.com/us/support-product?pid=01t80000002x8ZWAAY

It's hard for me to point the finger at the network adaptor since I have my Harman Kardon receiver, DirectTV genie, and HTPC all connected to it. TBH, I really don't know if the ethernet port is jacked up. That was just the assumption I made 10 years ago.

I have everything set to DHCP on my computers because I don't know enough to mess with static IPs.

Edited by miggawhat

I've fixed an Xbox where the wires inside the Ethernet port connector were so caked up with dust and grim that the cable could not make good contact with them.  After using compressed air to blow out the majority of the dust followed by cleaning them with a 91% isopropyl alcohol soaked q-tip until it came out clean instead of black then letting it dry out. Reconnected the Ethernet cable and it was again on the network.

Does the LED on the right side of the Xbox's Ethernet port flash?  I think that's the one.  One LED shows the link status (connection established between the Xbox's Ethernet port and the router) while the other indicates when data packet transfers are occurring.

Edited by KaosEngineer

You guys are right about there being another light. Only one of them is lit - it's amber colored. If you are looking at the Xbox from the rear, it's the light on the right hand side. I do not have access to canned air at the moment, but I will try the alcohol on a cotton swab suggestion. I am willing to try anything at this point! 

I also have a Netgear wireless extenders with an ethernet port, which I haven't tried. I will give that a shot, too.

Hypothetically speaking, if I cannot figure out this ethernet connection, is there a way I can use that usb cable to transfer the files to a usb drive?

I will keep you guys updated. You're awesome and thanks for all your help!

Edited by miggawhat

I too have an Xbox with a faulty Ethernet port. Its been that way ever since i bought it many years ago. It was an Ebay purchase that supposedly had a modchip in but ive always been a bit suspicious that its just been softmodded. Come to think of it i should really just open it and see :D

Anyway i was never able to ftp in to it and iim sure one of the lights used to light up just as the guy above does... 

I cleaned out my ethernet port with isopropyl alcohol and found little to no grime. I also plugged in the console directly into my Linksys WRT1900ac router. Unfortunately, neither recommendation resolved the issue.

I noticed that both lights on the ethernet port are on - one green and one yellow. TBH, both lights may have been on before, but I didn't really notice. Nevertheless, both lights are on. I've only had this router for a year, and I was having the same issue with previous routers, Thus, I have to believe that the router is not the issue.

Would you guys recommend any other tricks?

If not, are there any tutorials that explain how to transfer files to my usb stick? I haven't been able to find anything on the web.

Thanks, again!

I doubt it since this is for an original Xbox.

When I turn the console on, my UnleashX dashboard has a menu called "tools" and within this menu there is an option called "file explorer." Doesn't have any special name or even an "about" section to indicate it's a standalone app. Just lets me browse all my partitions, files, and folders.

Here's what it looks like.

IMG_20190211_221719289.jpg

IMG_20190211_221735137.jpg

• 1 month later...

IF you could get USB to work it’d Be so miserably slow you would give up pretty quick. Even being generous and assuming usb 2.0 speeds it would still take minimum an hour per game. Even that seems generous tbh  

Seems kinda weird that both lights are on stable, one should just be flashing to indicate activity  

If you’re feeling adventurous  maybe you could just solder an Ethernet cable in place of the port, haha. 

On 2/11/2019 at 11:20 PM, miggawhat said:

I doubt it since this is for an original Xbox.

When I turn the console on, my UnleashX dashboard has a menu called "tools" and within this menu there is an option called "file explorer." Doesn't have any special name or even an "about" section to indicate it's a standalone app. Just lets me browse all my partitions, files, and folders.

Here's what it looks like.

[Pictures removed see miggawhat's previous post to see them.]

File Explorer is part of UnleashX.  It is built into the dashboard unlink Evoxdash where you have to use a separate application to browse the HDD's content.