OGXbox.com

How to solve can not read slave device in Chimp?

cch2001.tw

Hello guys,

I tried to change large hard drive by use Chimp application, but show this error message. Could you help me? I am not sure what step is wrong.
My process step as below:
1. Console turn-off, plug new hard drive power. (no connect IDE bus)
2.Console turn-on, my console already softmod by hotswapping
3.Run Chimp application
4.Take out DVD IDE bus and plug to new hard drive
5.I saw console show some message, should be OK
6.Go to dialog box, but show this message, "slave device can not be locked"

And I check program function, slave device function is disable.

By the way, before plug new hard drive, I format by FATXplorer. Any mistake of the procedure?
Need you help! thanks so much!

IMG_20230603_004200.png

It may be just what is says: the device can not be locked. It is quite unusual to find a HDD that can not be locked but it happens.

Other possibilities:-

Did you set the the new HDD's jumper to Slave? If you're using a SATA > IDE adapter it must have that option, some don't.

Some SATA > IDE adapters cause problems when they're hot-swapped

Are you using an 80 wire IDE cable?

Have you unplugged all attached USB flash drives/devices and removed memory cards from the controller?

Is the controller an official MS Xbox one? Third party controllers are known to cause trouble.

It is unlikely to be this but the recommendation is also to use an AV Composite connection when using Chimp.

Yes, I use SATA to IDE adapter, maybe there had compatible risk. 

I had one idea, can I use FATXploer to copy all folders and files to new hard drive and change that to XBOX original hard drive?

I mean backup original hard drive to new one and change that? Is that method available? thanks 

1 hour ago, cch2001.tw said:

Yes, I use SATA to IDE adapter, maybe there had compatible risk. 

Which adapter is it?

Does it have a MASTER/SLAVE jumper block?

If so, make sure it is set to SLAVE.

If not, it will not work with Chimp to clone the old to a new hard drive. You need to obtain an IDE-to-SATA adapter that does have a MASTER/SLAVE jumper block to select which device it is on the IDE bus.

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Which adapter is it?

Does it have a MASTER/SLAVE jumper block?

If so, make sure it is set to SLAVE.

If not, it will not work with Chimp to clone the old to a new hard drive. You need to obtain an IDE-to-SATA adapter that does have a MASTER/SLAVE jumper block to select which device it is on the IDE bus.

Yes, I confirmed SATA adapter is use Slave jumper and tried many time, Chimp still show same message.....

Could I use copy method to new hard drive? any risk for that? thanks 

23 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Assuming you're doing or have done all the things suggested, in particular using an 80 wire IDE cable, you have not said what make/model the HDD is.

Sorry, attach HDD information for reference

Hitachi Deskstar / SATA

Model: HDT725025VLA380

Capacity: 250gb

33 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Assuming you're doing or have done all the things suggested, in particular using an 80 wire IDE cable, you have not said what make/model the HDD is.

Attach SATA to IDE adapter for reference, right-bottom side is jumper, already set slave 

PhotoGrid_Site_1685801146964.jpg

48 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Also check IDE cable, that should be correct, both 40 wire and 80 wire cable are fail, I tried... 

PhotoGrid_Site_1685802055264.jpg

I sort of agree, not that the Startech is any better, but that ones like those you have can have issues ie. they seem not to have had the same quality control. When they're good they are just as reliable but there seem to be a higher percentage of bad ones out there and that's more likely the cause when you get problems like this and are doing everything else correctly.  

3 hours ago, HDShadow said:

I sort of agree, not that the Startech is any better, but that ones like those you have can have issues ie. they seem not to have had the same quality control. When they're good they are just as reliable but there seem to be a higher percentage of bad ones out there and that's more likely the cause when you get problems like this and are doing everything else correctly.  

Thanks for everyone. I did it, key point is plug timing. My method is different from others. Firstly, IDE to SATA adapter not plug on HDD, and only plug power wires on adapter.
When run Chimp and take out IDE bus from DVD, first step is plug IDE bus to adapter, than plug adapter to SATA HDD. (I think key point is adapter need to plug IDE and power wires together)

Share this method to all.

Edited by cch2001.tw
  • Like 1

You were doing each ie. the adapter and the IDE cable swap, separately?

That would explain the problem....................................I think.

I'm pretty sure that every time I've used a SATA > IDE adapter fitted HDD for a Chimp swap it worked OK with the SATA > IDE adapter pre-attached to the HDD and plugging the IDE cable into that.

I would have thought that, as you seem to be saying, plugging the adapter onto the IDE cable first them plugging that into the HDD, might be the cause of problems. The adapter when connected to the IDE cable is being powered up without an attached HDD.

But if that method worked for you and what I would have thought was the more usual method did not then the proof is there and can not be argued with.  

• Like 1