OGXbox.com

Botched tsop, think I probably damaged the board, not sure how to recover

tkogaming

It was hard to get a good image, I think I damaged the board pretty bad. I figured my years of recaping crt's and some smd soldering here and there would make me qualified. I think I might have seriously damaged it beyond my repair abilities, I had such a hard time trying to make that joint (I made the mistake of using flux), any advice on what to do now? worried I might be S.O.L

Capture.JPG

3 hours ago, tkogaming said:

I made the mistake of using flux

This one made my day. Why do you think it's a mistake using flux? I would say you made the mistake of soldering way to hot. 

Looks like you ripped one pad off the board, hard to say with all the mess on the board. However, above that pad is a via which you someone can solder to and solder it to either the left pad below 7D10 or in case that one is faulty as well, to left side of the resistor R7D9. 

• Like 1

If you ever get another console and wish to try again, then may I suggest using a drop of conductive paint on the tip of a toothpick. That will be enough to make the connections to allow you to flash the TSOP. I have done this in the past myself, its quick and easily wipes off afterwards with a drop of isopropyl alcohol. 

39 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

If you ever get another console and wish to try again, then may I suggest using a drop of conductive paint on the tip of a toothpick. That will be enough to make the connections to allow you to flash the TSOP. I have done this in the past myself, its quick and easily wipes off afterwards with a drop of isopropyl alcohol. 

I'm personaly not a fan of conductive paint. We had user here messing thing up with it. 

What also would work though is a strain of wire which can be used bridging the vias however when doing it this way you need to make sure not to bridge to the metal housing. 

Edit :

Pictures : https://imgur.com/a/ctVFl5V

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I'm personaly not a fan of conductive paint. We had user here messing thing up with it. 

What also would work though is a strain of wire which can be used bridging the vias however when doing it this way you need to make sure not to bridge to the metal housing. 

Honestly the conductive paint method is super simple. I said a drop on a toothpick because that is literally all it takes. Plop a drop on the tsop points and your done. I have done it many times when I couldn't be bothered to grab the soldering iron. If you don't have steady hands and find the paint gets where it shouldn't then its alcohol time, clean that sucker up wait 2 mins for it to dry and try again. 

Granted if you start trying to apply it with a 4" paint brush then you are really gonna have issues :)

• Haha 1

So I very ignorantly thought I scortched the board (more than I actually did) because I had a hard time getting the flux off, once I got all the flux off of the board it was one burnt up pad but I utilized a different pad in a diagram I found, I ended up having to enlist someone elses help because both my tip was to large, my eyesight to poor to make out what's going on and my skill level was'nt quite high enough. I'm used to working on much bigger spots like through hole capacitors or soldering wires together where higher temps are useful. thank you for all the advice

If you are fine with just flashing it once with Cerbios for example you are totaly able to do it on your own using some awg 30 wire like shown in the picture above .

After that simply remove the cables and your're fine. However, you would need to do so again if you like flash a different bios which I think is not needed (only if a cerbios update gets released and there is something you need/want). 

After that you can do what ever you like cuz there is not realy any other down side other than bridging the points again on a reflash. OR you tape down the wires so they will "never ever" move or slip out of the vias. 

And for temps and tips it realy comes down what job you do and what iron/station you use. For replacing caps a large tip (3.8mm) and temps around 330°C (In my case) is fine. For TSOP points I use a 1.5mm tip and 270°C. But again, that realy comes down to what station you have, which kind of solder you use ect. (lead free solder would not even flow on those low temps). And to make things even easyer you could use some wire to bridge the points when soldering instead of trying to "solder air" (Guess that the right term for just flowing solder over onto 2 pad till they bridge). 

On 6/2/2023 at 1:14 AM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Edit :

Pictures : https://imgur.com/a/ctVFl5V

Um, did you see the op's photo, by chance? I'd say that's a good case. Lmao

16 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Um, did you see the op's photo, by chance? I'd say that's a good case. Lmao

He ripped a pad, not the via before the pad so flashing the TSOP using some awg wire fitted through the vias is 101% no problem. I bett (like always) a pack premium coffee. But if you don't belive me, let me know and I rip a both off an xbox and then flashing the TSOP just just for the lols and for the giggles.  

45 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

TSOP flashing without soldering (Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe0fPiAMJQ8 ) : 

For the 1.0/1.1 versions, which also have TSOP points on the bottom side please check out this page : https://imgur.com/a/nSdsir5

This is good info but by the time you fiddles about with the wires. You could of just used a drop of conductive paint :)

@tkogaming Because the pad is gone then the above is most likely the best way forward for you. Make sure you tape the wires down though as you don't want one popping out of the via mid flash. That would be bad :)

25 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

This is good info but by the time you fiddles about with the wires. You could of just used a drop of conductive paint :)

I do not own conductive paint so I would need to go and buy some which would take up round about ~2 hours.

Placing the wires took me 20 seconds overall. However, that wasn't the point why I made the video and the additional pics for the 1.0/1.1. It's basicly just a proof of concept and an alt way to flash the TSOP or consider it as last resort if you burned off a pad and you are not able to solder to the trace it self or the via. ;) 

Finaly I would consider it as noob proof as long as you secure the wires and you have a multimeter on hand. 

10 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I do not own conductive paint so I would need to go and buy some which would take up round about ~2 hours.

I was pulling your leg ;)

Everyone has their own fave way of skipping the soldering. You like the wires in the vias. I chose the paint way. 

I found the paint can be left in place and will allow you to reflash without opening it all up again, should you wish too. It will eventually degrade enough that it needs refreshing though but by that time I would hope a bios had been settled on :)

7 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Well, I personality don't try to avoid soldering, why should I? I totaly love soldering and I'm always up to challange my self. :)

It is/was basicly just another way to show the OP and others it can be done in case of a missing pad or even as an main way if they don't have conductive paint on hand (like me) or an soldering iron or didn't feel confident enough to solder. It's always good to have options right? And when you see someone doing things it's mainly easyer for you to make thing on your own by copying what you see. 

Finaly I would not realy say it's better using wires over paint since I never used paint my self however, we had at least one user here messing up using paint and I'm sure there are some more out there. But I'm also sure the one or the other is able to mess up using wires. So everthing is coming down to what you consider is the best way for you. 

At the end you could grab Dave's sig and say " Using wires or paint is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing". :D

6 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

At the end you could grab Dave's sig and say " Using wires or paint is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing". :D

Exactly. I only hardmod consoles nowadays. Softmodding as a means to TSOP flash used to be my method but that's not even needed now, thanks to some clever dick form here. Cant remember who it was now who made it but I now flash straight from the SC gamesave exploit.