OGXbox.com

Need Help, Installed dash After Tsop then both of Hexen disc and dash won't boot

Naif

After i Tsop my xbox with Evox M8 plus the dash won't boot and i was know about this then i tried to install unlashx dash from hexen 2021 disc then i installed in E/Dash and then i got message says: do you want to make it your default dash, i click in Yes, after that the boot animation frozen with microsoft and when i tried to boot hexen nothing happend :( 

It is likely that E:\dash main dash location is the problem.

With a TSOP it is a hardmod and the Evox M8+ BIOS is set up, usually, to look for C:\evoxdash.xbe and if it does not find it will try to launch C:\xboxdash.xbe, the original MS dash XBE. However it does depended on the source of the Evox M8+ BIOS as packages, like HeXEn, may customise the BIOS boot path(s)/order.

To prevent these sorts of problems HeXEn, I thought, had a clean up option offered after TSOPing.

The reason you need to do that is because it was a softmod before the TSOP. That means there is no C:\evoxdash.xbe and the C:\xboxdash.xbe is typically set up to launch either the now redundant Xbox Live or online dashboard updater. In both cases you'd get a blank screen, an error message or, I'd guess, what you're experiencing.

However if disc media was booting OK before you should be able to cold boot HeXEn or other installer disc, install a dashboard in the correct location and clear out the unwanted files. But unless someone else here can tell you for sure I'd check the Evox M8+ BIOS file you used with the EVTool to be certain what main dash path/name should be used.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HDShadow said:

It is likely that E:\dash main dash location is the problem.

With a TSOP it is a hardmod and the Evox M8+ BIOS is set up, usually, to look for C:\evoxdash.xbe and if it does not find it will try to launch C:\xboxdash.xbe, the original MS dash XBE. However it does depended on the source of the Evox M8+ BIOS as packages, like HeXEn, may customise the BIOS boot path(s)/order.

To prevent these sorts of problems HeXEn, I thought, had a clean up option offered after TSOPing.

The reason you need to do that is because it was a softmod before the TSOP. That means there is no C:\evoxdash.xbe and the C:\xboxdash.xbe is typically set up to launch either the now redundant Xbox Live or online dashboard updater. In both cases you'd get a blank screen, an error message or, I'd guess, what you're experiencing.

However if disc media was booting OK before you should be able to cold boot HeXEn or other installer disc, install a dashboard in the correct location and clear out the unwanted files. But unless someone else here can tell you for sure I'd check the Evox M8+ BIOS file you used with the EVTool to be certain what main dash path/name should be used.

So, what should i do. If i hadn't installed this stupid dash, i wouldn't have had this problem 

Try cold booting: putting the HeXEn or other installer disc in the tray, closing it then restarting the Xbox.

Launched like that the disc should boot first ie. before the 'missing' dashboard, which is likely in the wrong location and causing the freezing problem.

If it was booting before and the TSOP was OK the disc should still boot now as doing that is one of the primary features of a hardmod. With a chip the chip itself might come with dash install options but with a TSOP if you could not launch an installer disc you couldn't install a dash.

Also remember that a HeXEn disc does take 20 - 30 secs to boot.

If you still can't get it to boot - try cold booting an original Xbox game disc. If that does not work then there is something else going on ie. it is not just a wrong main dash location problem.

Edited by HDShadow
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Try cold booting: putting the HeXEn or other installer disc in the tray, closing it then restarting the Xbox.

Launched like that the disc should boot first ie. before the 'missing' dashboard, which is likely in the wrong location and causing the freezing problem.

If it was booting before and the TSOP was OK the disc should still boot now as doing that is one of the primary features of a hardmod. With a chip the chip itself might come with dash install options but with a TSOP if you could not launch an installer disc you couldn't install a dash.

Also remember that a HeXEn disc does take 20 - 30 secs to boot.

If you still can't get it to boot - try cold booting an original Xbox game disc. If that does not work then there is something else going on ie. it is not just a wrong main dash location problem.

I waited more then 5 min, and i didn't see linux and the ring dosen't goes red,

EDIT: i tried to connected internet cable and then its work, so what i need to do now to fix C files?

Edited by Naif

On 5/21/2023 at 8:48 AM, Naif said:

After i Tsop my xbox with Evox M8 plus the dash won't boot and i was know about this then i tried to install unlashx dash from hexen 2021 disc then i installed in E/Dash and then i got message says: do you want to make it your default dash, i click in Yes, after that the boot animation frozen with microsoft and when i tried to boot hexen nothing happend :(

Where did you get the EvoxM8 bios as on some of the Hexen disk's the EvoxM8 bios files had the DVD option removed so the DVD drive would not work again 

What version of Hexen did you use?

1 hour ago, Naif said:

i tried to connected internet cable and then its work, so what i need to do now to fix C files?

So you can FTP to the Xbox then?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

That's............................odd. I have no explanation for why connecting a network cable would resolve this problem. I've read about an internet connection causing boot problems but not the reverse. I'd be interested to know if anybody here has an explanation for that.

I'd suggest you post some pics of your current C:\ and E drive content before doing anything. If the thing is booting properly then we need to work out and understand why it needs the network connection to boot. Everything could be set up correctly already and the problem is something else.

I see SS_Dave has just replied; his suggestion that the particular HeXEn M8+ BIOS used might be connected to the problem sounds very plausible. But I'm not clear as to why connecting a network cable would 'fix' that.

As I suggested earlier checking the Evox M8+ BIOS you installed using the EVTool on PC just to make sure what path(s) it is set up to use and anything else relevant that could confirm it is a BIOS issue. I'd be reluctant to advise this but it might be that the best course of action is to reflash the TSOP with a known good Evox M8+.

That carries risks of course. 

• Like 1

after i was trying the to solve problem  it was from my DVD drive not "internet cable" when i changed the dvd place its start boot and work, i think this happened because i have thomson dvd drive the worst one for xboxes

Bouns: i saw the C was full and there are the dash that i downloaded from hexen "evoxdash.xbe" when i launched it says 21 error so, i deleted

Thanks for every one try to help me

16 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

That's............................odd. I have no explanation for why connecting a network cable would resolve this problem. I've read about an internet connection causing boot problems but not the reverse. I'd be interested to know if anybody here has an explanation for that.

I'd suggest you post some pics of your current C:\ and E drive content before doing anything. If the thing is booting properly then we need to work out and understand why it needs the network connection to boot. Everything could be set up correctly already and the problem is something else.

I see SS_Dave has just replied; his suggestion that the particular HeXEn M8+ BIOS used might be connected to the problem sounds very plausible. But I'm not clear as to why connecting a network cable would 'fix' that.

As I suggested earlier checking the Evox M8+ BIOS you installed using the EVTool on PC just to make sure what path(s) it is set up to use and anything else relevant that could confirm it is a BIOS issue. I'd be reluctant to advise this but it might be that the best course of action is to reflash the TSOP with a known good Evox M8+.

That carries risks of course. 

Because when its frist time i connected internet cable its work by accident, the problem was from my DVD Drive and now i fixed.

A DVD drive problem and the internet connection was just a coincidence.....OK. Good to hear you've fixed it.

BTW the Thomson DVD has a bad rep, unfairly in my experience.

It is the noisiest and most annoying in that it seems to check if there is a disc in the tray before doing almost anything. But reliability wise my Thomson is the oldest working DVD drive. It came in the first used Xbox (a v1.0) I bought around 2005 so it must have had years of use before then. It was my most used Xbox at one time yet is still working well having outlived two much younger Philips fitted ones.

Whilst not as disc media friendly as some the Thomson is better or at least as good as most of the others and has never had eject/close issues unlike all my Samsung 605B and 605F models.