OGXbox.com

Open xenium fragging need help.

Onionfatty

So I installed a openxenium chip today and it turned on brought me to the os and I accidentally hit the power button and now it doesn't boot just flashes green 3 times and goes green/red. Even tried resoldering joints I'm stumped it was working and now it isnt... in the span of 10 min. Even tried a new hdd same issue. I also tried removing the chip and got error 07 it should be noted the chip was still wired in when I did that but not plugged into the pinhead (this is only when I was testing if it would run after it started fragging)

Edited by Onionfatty

30 minutes ago, Onionfatty said:

Maybe it's a bad chip? Did i goof by restarting the console and kill it? Anyway for me to tell? Can it be fixed? I can also send pictures if needed.

Restarting it should not cause the issue and it would help if you get some high quality pics of the LPC solder work and some of the top side of main board 

If you upload the pick to a share site and then add the links here then we can get a look ( I use https://postimages.org/ ) 

Error 7 is the HDD timed out but that will not stop the Open Xenium from displaying when you power on with the eject button.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Restarting it should not cause the issue and it would help if you get some high quality pics of the LPC solder work and some of the top side of main board 

If you upload the pick to a share site and then add the links here then we can get a look ( I use https://postimages.org/ ) 

Error 7 is the HDD timed out but that will not stop the Open Xenium from displaying when you power on with the eject button.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

spacer.pngare tthese good enough? I can take more. I'm also new to this soldering thing my 3rd project hopefully I didnt kill it I really dont want to give up haha.spacer.png

Edited by Onionfatty

1 hour ago, Onionfatty said:

spacer.pngare tthese good enough? I can take more. I'm also new to this soldering thing my 3rd project hopefully I didnt kill it I really dont want to give up haha.spacer.png

Just reflowed over my solder havent tries anything yet going to wait for your response. Also found 3 capacitors by the heatsinks bulging havent touched them yetspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Onionfatty

12 hours ago, Onionfatty said:

So I installed a openxenium chip today and it turned on brought me to the os and I accidentally hit the power button and now it doesn't boot just flashes green 3 times and goes green/red. Even tried resoldering joints I'm stumped it was working and now it isnt... in the span of 10 min. Even tried a new hdd same issue. I also tried removing the chip and got error 07 it should be noted the chip was still wired in when I did that but not plugged into the pinhead (this is only when I was testing if it would run after it started fragging)

Are there any softmods installed? Power on the console with the eject button and it should boot to the xenium OS menu. I found the best way to get a bios flashed was using a web browser. Those capacitors can cause problems too. Console5 has cap kits for them.

10 hours ago, Onionfatty said:

Just reflowed over my solder havent tries anything yet going to wait for your response. Also found 3 capacitors by the heatsinks bulging havent touched them yetspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

The caps next to the heat sink defiantly need replacing

Is the Xbox still booting with the modchip unplugged?

And what happens if you power on the Xbox using the eject button?

I find sometimes it helpst to unplug the mains and press the power button the reconnect the mains and see what happens

11 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The caps next to the heat sink defiantly need replacing

Is the Xbox still booting with the modchip unplugged?

And what happens if you power on the Xbox using the eject button?

I find sometimes it helpst to unplug the mains and press the power button the reconnect the mains and see what happens

I havent tried it again waiting for my replacement caps they come tomorrow I already removed the 3 bulging ones. However the first pictures of the solder before I reflowed it is when I unplugged the chip and got error 07 I have not yet tested the console after I reflowed the solder due to those 3 caps. I will update tomorrow. I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability. Also the console was accidentally turned off in the launch menu (openxenium) before it started fragging.

12 hours ago, Onionfatty said:

Also the console was accidentally turned off in the launch menu (openxenium) before it started fragging.

Unless this happened with the chip was been updated powering off even a fraction into the boot process would not cause a issue, I have done that plenty of times.

See what happens when you have the new caps in the board.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 5/17/2023 at 2:29 AM, Dtomcat18 said:

Reflow looks A LOT better. Bulging caps defiantly need replaced.   That OX looks like it’s had better days…. Not sure why the discoloration?

Those caps absolutely defiantly need to be replaced... Those caps are fuckin' rebellious man. Be twice as rebellious in response!

Aw man, you changed the typo! It's sill quoted in onion's response up there so I assumed...

1 hour ago, Dtomcat18 said:

I had two OXs dump XOS on a power cycle before.  2 out of probably over 100. So really rare.  No problems with OXs after reloading XOS.  Not sure what caused it.  Never able to reproduce it. 

I guess because the chip has already supplied the bios and it is present in the box's memory and is thus, always being used. I did read somewhere that the chip being disabled after boot would cause things like game loading and IGR to not work, so that's interesting...

spacer.png

13 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Unless this happened with the chip was been updated powering off even a fraction into the boot process would not cause a issue, I have done that plenty of times.

See what happens when you have the new caps in the board.

Cheers

SS Dave

Welp seems like I fucked the machine at the last step not sure what to do kind of upset with myself... not sure what to do doubt I can fix it now really bummed out here. Trace ruined and burned the motherboard it looks like, was trying to use a soldering sucker for the first time because it was being extra stubborn. If there is anything I can do please let me know like I said previously i really dont want to have to give up on it smh I really dropped the ball on this one.spacer.png

Edited by Onionfatty

Could I use a wire to bridge the gap of the traces? I'm not saying I'm qualified but anything is worth a try for me also it doesn't need to fit entirely into the case if needed I'll get a 3d printed stand for the motherboard.

Edited by Onionfatty

On 5/16/2023 at 3:33 PM, Onionfatty said:

Maybe it's a bad chip? Did i goof by restarting the console and kill it? Anyway for me to tell? Can it be fixed? I can also send pictures if needed.

To boot into Xenium OS, power on the console with the Eject button. 

Edit:

If it is has a BIOS flashed and set as the default, when you use the power button it boots.  It may not be the correct version for your Xbox. A v1.0-1.4 BIOS will not work on a v1.6 Xbox.

Edit2:  However, you don't have a v1.6 motherboard.  ??? Not sure.  Does it go into the Xenium OS if you power on the console with the Eject button?

13 hours ago, Onionfatty said:

Could I use a wire to bridge the gap of the traces? I'm not saying I'm qualified but anything is worth a try for me also it doesn't need to fit entirely into the case if needed I'll get a 3d printed stand for the motherboard.

Dude... A 3d printed stand and external mounting/casing would be SICK regardless of circumstances. :)

On 5/19/2023 at 8:33 AM, KaosEngineer said:

To boot into Xenium OS, power on the console with the Eject button. 

Edit:

If it is has a BIOS flashed and set as the default, when you use the power button it boots.  It may not be the correct version for your Xbox. A v1.0-1.4 BIOS will not work on a v1.6 Xbox.

Edit2:  However, you don't have a v1.6 motherboard.  ??? Not sure.  Does it go into the Xenium OS if you power on the console with the Eject button?

It booted the first time. I think it was the caps however I managed to damage a trace and I'm not sure if I (me personally) can fix it sadly. Until I learn how to do trace repairs I guess I'll have too put the project on hiatus however I have 2 more working xboxs almost brand new that I'm thinking of installing the chip into instead until iam comfortable enough to try and work on that motherboard again which I'm not even sure Will work now as seen in the photos I linked

Edited by Onionfatty

2 minutes ago, Onionfatty said:

It booted the first time. I think it was the caps however I managed to damage a trace and I'm not sure if I (me personally) can fix it sadly. Until I learn how to do trace repairs I guess I'll have too put the project on hiatus however I have 2 more working xboxs almost brand new that I'm thinking of installing the chip into instead until iam comfortable enough to try and work on that motherboard again which I'm not even sure Will work now as seen in the photos I linked

I also tried to do the eject button boot but no dice before I started messing with the bulging caps. I'm pretty sure they were the issue but I can't figure it out until the traces are fixed if it is even possible smh I goofed heavily

• 2 weeks later...

So it was the capacitors and the modchip tested it on another console same issue put another chip on work like a charm, that board is retired until I can figure out how to repair its traces if it isn't burned to the point of death on the capacitor solder points next to the heatsink by the power supply

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2023 at 3:26 PM, Onionfatty said:

So it was the capacitors and the modchip tested it on another console same issue put another chip on work like a charm, that board is retired until I can figure out how to repair its traces if it isn't burned to the point of death on the capacitor solder points next to the heatsink by the power supply

The caps can be a pain to remove without a desoldering gun, even with one they can still be tricky. I always add fresh solder to them before using the gun. Have to hold it on there for a little bit longer than usual to get it all to melt due to the board's thickness.