OGXbox.com

Swapping hard drive between xboxes?

warwolf

So last year, I bought a soft modded xbox and while installing my games I had a major crash and that caused black screen that I couldnt fix. I opted to install a mod chip. While installing the modd chip I accidently ripped up a motherboard trace and ruined the mother board. (word to the wise get a good soddering iron one not from lowes...) 

Anyways I have a few questions.

Are modded HDDs only usable on the console they were modded on? 

Is there a way I can format the Hard drive and use if for something else, Do I need the xbox it was used in to do this with or can I use any modded xbox to unlock it? 

If I don't wipe the Hard drive can I put it into another modded xbox? (I put 1tb of games on that of the the couse of days and dont want that to go to waste.) 

Lastly is there someone that does xbox mods thats trust worthy? I aint trying to ruin a 3rd motherboard.

In case you didn't has locked the new HDD to the "dead" xbox you can simply swap it over. If the HDD is locked, you need the HDD key from the old xbox to unlock the HDD first. For that you need to read the old eeprom from the old xbox. Another way would be to swap over the entire eeprom. 

And you don't need to setup the HDD again when swapping them. 

Here are some ppl. around who mod consoles. It would how ever help to post your location. 

You can swap hard drives if you Null the EPROM first

I always use Rocky5’s extras disk https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Gs_yYVotDxAxtHZeHUVr_ts7KeMgqEmQ

then just make sure the bios are pointing to the same Dash on the new Xbox that you slip the HD into or Vice Versa

I personally tore a hole in the motherboard removing a ModChip. I fixed D0 and it boots with a ModChip but will forever FRAG if you try and boot the TSOP

1 hour ago, Lexieye said:

You can swap hard drives if you Null the EPROM first

I always use Rocky5’s extras disk https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Gs_yYVotDxAxtHZeHUVr_ts7KeMgqEmQ

then just make sure the bios are pointing to the same Dash on the new Xbox that you slip the HD into or Vice Versa

I personally tore a hole in the motherboard removing a ModChip. I fixed D0 and it boots with a ModChip but will forever FRAG if you try and boot the TSOP

If the HDD is unlocked, it does not matter if the key is nulled especially not when using a modchip.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

If the HDD is unlocked, it does not matter if the key is nulled especially not when using a modchip.

It’s always good to null the hard drive key.  If you have softmod files left over in C:// even after you hard mod with a chip then you might have problems if you unlock the hard drive 

• Like 1

When you go from softmod to a hardmod you should setup C and E anyway or you re-config the partitions on the PC (What ever you prefere). Nulling a HDD key doesnt make to much of seens for chip modded xboxes. And if you had Insignia running on your softmod with a not nulled key and now you go and null the key, mod chip it or both, you have to register your console again. So way more troulbe as needed and not just for you, for the Insignia team as well. 

• Like 1