OGXbox.com

FTP transfer speeds question.

willis

I'm using WinSCP to ftp an xbox game over to my xbox. I know using ftp to transfer large files like an xbox game is slow, but the speeds I'm seeing are 350kb/s to under 100kb/s. Does that sound about right or is there a setting to have it go slightly faster? I know transfer speeds are going to be slow, but I thought they would be a little higher than that.

Are you copying a zillion little files to it (as some games have)?  Copying lots of little files takes a long time mostly because of the delay of the FTP client and server negotiating each transfer. It takes longer than the actual file transfer.

This is a reason to switch to playing games in XISO files.  Copying the big ISO files avoids the slowness with copying those games that have thousands of tiny files.

Also, if you are using some form of XBMC, well it has a rather slow FTP server. UnleashX is a lot faster.

Edited by tiertop

On 4/23/2023 at 6:11 PM, willis said:

Yeah it's through XBMC Emustation, so that's probably why isn't it. Well I guess I'll just wait to have built up a large assortment of xbox games and just take the hard drive out and plug directly to my PC.

Lol, sometimes that's it man

FTP is great for ease and convenience, but for speed and just-get-it-doneness, direct hookup is the way to go.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:11 AM, willis said:

Yeah it's through XBMC Emustation, so that's probably why isn't it. Well I guess I'll just wait to have built up a large assortment of xbox games and just take the hard drive out and plug directly to my PC.

You will get better FTP speeds buy using Unleash or Avalaunch dashboards. I only keep them installed for when I need to FTP something large across and don't want to mess about removing the drive and connecting to my pc. But overall the direct connection is THE fastest way to transfer a LOT of data to your Xbox hdd :)

12 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

You will get better FTP speeds buy using Unleash or Avalaunch dashboards. I only keep them installed for when I need to FTP something large across and don't want to mess about removing the drive and connecting to my pc. But overall the direct connection is THE fastest way to transfer a LOT of data to your Xbox hdd :)

I remember using avalaunche for a lot of transfers. Seemed to work best for direct Xbox to Xbox ftp transfers since it was the least glitchy acting with crossover cables.