OGXbox.com

v1.6 turns on after replacing clock cap, but no audio or video

UltimateMe

Hi all,

I've found an Original Xbox which is a v1.6. After connecting it, it doesn`t powering on, so I opened it up and did a check of all the capacitors.
The clock cap was a bit leaking, so I removed it, cleaned everything, checked all the traces on the board with a magnifier and didn`t find an issues.
At this moment I use a wire instead of the clock cap (I found some topics on this forum and reddit about that). So before ordering a new clock cap I want to have the console working.

The console turns on now, but no audio or video. The light around the eject button is solid green.

I've no clue how to fix this.

• 2 weeks later...

A pitty no one seems to have an idea. The transistor mentioned in some other topics when a system won`t turn on is fine and also the console turns on after the leaking clock cap removal and a test wire installed. I tried some presure here and there on the board, but also that doesn`t end with video or sound output.

It just seems to me you could have two, maybe completely unrelated problems, and until one of them is fixed you're not going to know if they're related. The cost of replacing the cap is very small and as you will be doing it anyway surely it is better to do that now.  

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2023 at 11:43 AM, UltimateMe said:

Hi all,

I've found an Original Xbox which is a v1.6. After connecting it, it doesn`t powering on, so I opened it up and did a check of all the capacitors.
The clock cap was a bit leaking, so I removed it, cleaned everything, checked all the traces on the board with a magnifier and didn`t find an issues.
At this moment I use a wire instead of the clock cap (I found some topics on this forum and reddit about that). So before ordering a new clock cap I want to have the console working.

The console turns on now, but no audio or video. The light around the eject button is solid green.

This is what I was wondering. Thank you for the confirmation. What is the value of the capacitor?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 5:50 PM, UltimateMe said:

Instead of the clock cap a wire is used temporary. Here on the forum and also on Reddit some people use this method. WIthout the Xbox wouldn`t turn on. Will try to make a photo.

I have read about people just adding a link and the Xbox will think it's got a flat capacitor and start up, I have tested that and it works but it not some thing I was comfortable leaving like that.

I saw a comment from a long term Xbox repairer about a year ago and he fitted a LED in place of the capacitor in a 1.6 and that Xbox has been in use for years constantly, sort of like a standby light

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I have read about people just adding a link and the Xbox will think it's got a flat capacitor and start up, I have tested that and it works but it not some thing I was comfortable leaving like that.

I saw a comment from a long term Xbox repairer about a year ago and he fitted a LED in place of the capacitor in a 1.6 and that Xbox has been in use for years constantly, sort of like a standby light

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I mean the way I see it, it's something that's consuming current rather than just passing it along through the circuit and damaging something. Also, the Xbox sees a load to power and won't refuse to boot in that instance. I believe the 1.6 boxes behave that way

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2023 at 2:43 PM, UltimateMe said:

Hi all,

There are components that can effect the audio visual near the clock cap. As an example I was removing a clock cap once and a badly corroded component blew off the mobo, after that the picture was fuzzy and out of focus.  Check for empty connectors near the clock cap and see if you didn't remove a surface mount on accident. Additionally, this would be rare, but you might have also splashed a little solder somewhere on the motherboard that is bridging contacts. Most of the time when that happens you would get a FRAG instead of the a/v issues but it all depends on where it happened. Beyond that your last option is a replacement motherboard like one of these:

https://www.tinker-mods.com/buy-replacement-parts/original-xbox/motherboards/original-xbox-motherboard.php