OGXbox.com

Issue with soft mod causing graphic issues for outrun2 coast to coast

ski99k

Heya all,  

First time poster here, looking for some guidance....

So I have a soft modded xbox I setup about 5 years ago.  Last night I was playing outrun coast to coast no issues.... when I played later today I was having weird graphical issues : see this video 

So I've tried reinstalling the game.  I've also installed a second separate copy of the game and it does the same thing. I have the original outrun 2 and it works fine.... it's just coast to coast that has this issue.  The only thing I can think of , is it possibly an issue with the ide cable?  But every other game I've tried seems to work fine... Does anyone have any idea what the issue may be?

4 hours ago, ski99k said:

It has a 120gb ide hdd. 7200rpm. It was working without issue for ages until yesterday. 

That sounds like its quite an old HDD, it could be signs the drive is failing. Are you noticing any issues with any other games?  

Have you tried running Outrun from disc to see if you get the same issues? 

I would try loading from disc or setting up another HDD. 

Firstly. Thank you everyone for your response so far. I've done some further investigatory work and discovered that it only does this when running with component cable at 480p. Tested the component cable at 480i and it works fine as does the console using a composite cable. Does this mean the cable is causing the issue???  Or could it be an issue with the console itself trying to run the game at 480p. Has anyone encountered this before?

Sounds like it could be a game that just doesn't like being run at 480p. Is it a 1.6 console? That version does have some issues with certain games at 480p.

EDIT - I'm not sure that is actually the issue as I can find no reference to the game having issues at all anywhere. However here's a video of someone playing the game at 480p on an Xbox, yes he has it going through an OSSC but the point is the console is outputting the 480p image without issues. 

Edited by nikeymikey
Updated

37 minutes ago, ski99k said:

I'm starting now to wonder if my cheap Chinese xbox component cable is the issue. Im now Considering buying a new set of cables. 

I would of thought if the cable was the issue then it would affect more than just one game. But it might be worth a shot if you can get hold of another cable to test it. 

You're probably right now I'm thinking about it.  What is super weird is that i have 3 modded consoles.  The 2 soft modded ones have the exact same issue as they output at 480p. The hard modded one outputs at 480i on component and it is fine. So weird. I might just have to deal with it