OGXbox.com

OG Xbox Xecuter 2 modchip

Tommy Mac

Hi, I pulled out my OG Xbox which was modded by someone back in 2002/2003 with the xecuter 2 modchip. It ceased working about 5 years ago and my brother-in-law said the 128 gb HHD stopped working. I'm trying to bring it back from the dead but having issues. I booted it and with the mod chip off I get error message 21. When chip is on it goes to this custom screen but can't launch into any of the loaded games or emulators and freezes. I bought a new 1Tb SSD and got the 80 wire ribbon cable and the ide to sata startech adapter. When I start it up with this I get error message 16 and it won't launch with a truehexen 2021 burned disk. Do I need to reflash the bios files on the xecuter 2 chip? Any help is appreciated 

Don’t panic and do anything crazy to the original Xbox or HD you already have

error 21 means it can’t find the Dash. (It’s hard modded and doesn't have a dash on the Microsoft E://) 

the custom dash just might not be setup correctly and freezing just freezing 

see if you can FTP or SFTP using a pc and place a new dash somewhere then use the dash you have to execute the xbe 

OR EVEN USE HEXEN 

just put XBMC or something on the F or G partition and use HEXEN to swap dashes

Edited by Lexieye

to make sure everything is ok and cool just put the new dash somewhere so it’s like an app you can open using the existing dash.

I suggest XBMC because everyone understands Confluence and can setup emulators …..

once the new dash is working and you no longer get the freezes  then switch dash

HEXEN is messy and not many people like it but you just click switch dash and it will do it

the Executer 2 chip (which is probably an original and valuable with it current bios) has a sister file in the C:// partition probably called 

X2config.ini or X2config.cfg 

that file will have the path of the dash when the Xbox turns on

you just change the path and the location of the new XBE of the new dash

Also

it might have a backup dash

i can’t really explain but at the bottom of the file it might say

dash1 • f/XBMC/default.xbe

dash2 • e/xbmc4gamers/default.xbe 

I would swap the names around so your new dash is DASH1 and if it can’t find your dash because of a spelling mistake it will go to DASH2 which it the dash you started with

if no dash is found it won’t do anything and you might just get a big red error

if you can’t ftp after that then I’m the one who killed your Xbox lol

5 hours ago, Tommy Mac said:

When chip is on it goes to this custom screen but can't launch into any of the loaded games or emulators and freezes.

Which replacement dashboard is it - UnleashX, Evoxdash, Avalaunch, XBMC, etc.?

Find the kernel version of the modified BIOS that is booting from the modchip.  Where to find it depends upon which replacement dashboard is running.

Hey Kaos Engineer! So, it's actually using  Evolution X v.1.8.3752 with the Xecuter 2. I was messing with it again. Turned off the mod chip and the initial green Xbox screen launches and I threw Phantasy Star in. I got the title screen and hit play. It says can't save file, go to the dashboard. Screen goes black and then get error 21. Any ideas what's going on?? This is with the Maxtor 128 gb ide drive from 20 years ago. I pulled out the new 1 tb ssd until I can figure out the root issue. 

Edited by Tommy Mac

6 hours ago, Tommy Mac said:

I pulled out the new 1 tb ssd until I can figure out the root issue. 

It sounds like the 128gb drive is dead

Is the 1tb drive setup as a Xbox drive or have you just fitted a new unformatted hard drive?

Connect the new HDD/SSD to your PC and use Fatxplorer v 3.0 beta to format and install a dash.

Here is a tutorial 

https://www.hazeno.com/og-xbox-hdd-upgrade

And here is a link to the latest Fatxplorer

https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/2023/03/11/fatxplorer-3-0-beta-25-major-usb-and-hdd-patch-update/

With the new HDD/SSD you will need to update the bios as it will only support a hard drive of about 140gb

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

10 hours ago, Tommy Mac said:

Thanks for the information SS Dave! So, I can format my new ssd drive by connecting to my pc. Do I need to do anything over ftp to the Xbox?

To format the SSD on your PC you don't need to FTP anything.

Based on the age of the mod chip you will need to update the bios on the mod chip so you can get to use the full size of the new HDD as the old bios will have a 138gb limit but in order to flash the mod chip you need a working hard drive that boots to a dash board or a external eeprom reader/writer.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

On 4/7/2023 at 10:41 PM, Tommy Mac said:

Hey Kaos Engineer! So, it's actually using  Evolution X v.1.8.3752 with the Xecuter 2. I was messing with it again. Turned off the mod chip and the initial green Xbox screen launches and I threw Phantasy Star in. I got the title screen and hit play. It says can't save file, go to the dashboard. Screen goes black and then get error 21. Any ideas what's going on?? This is with the Maxtor 128 gb ide drive from 20 years ago. I pulled out the new 1 tb ssd until I can figure out the root issue. 

Sounds like the E drive is full.

7 hours ago, Tommy Mac said:

Thanks Guys! I followed the instructions from Dave and it worked! I just brought back a ten year dead OG Xbox. So glad I didn't junk it. I'm so appreciative of the group! 

Glad to help and thanks for letting us know you have got it sorted..

Cheers

SS Dave