OGXbox.com

Malver81

• 1 month later...

I run that exact bios on my X3, never have any need to change banks. In fact the only time I ever change bios is when I am playing an iso file game from the hard drive and need to use the patched bios that mounts the iso as a disc. Even then it’s a case of running a quick xbe and not about changing banks on the chip.

19 hours ago, TEK Nemesis said:

For the X3 chip, is there any point to using anything but the 3294 BIOS?  i.e. will the 3294 BIOS run every retail XBOX game plus the other apps like CoinOps?  I still have a problem when I switch to other banks, the F and G partitions get all messed up.

If the other BIOS's have a different LBA48 configuration than what the drive is formatted with you will not see the partitions correctly.  It will look like the data has been lost.  Change back to the working BIOS and they will reappear.

You need to make sure that the other BIOSes support using a parititon table written to the drive using XBPartition v1.3 or XBPartitionTableWriter(or whatever it's actual name is).  Not all old BIOS's support it.

(So after trial and error and finally getting things right (I hope), I wanted to make a record of this under this topic heading so that others can read it in one place.) 

For the X3 chip, these days it's best just to use the 3294 BIOS (because 2TB HDDs are easy to find and so are the XBox games).  After holding down the white controller button when you startup the XBox, go to the New HDD setup area.  You must tell the X3 BIOS to disregard that hard-coded partition table and use the one on the disk (i.e. that XBpartitionner automatically creates).  Then, flash the 1-4 and or 5-8 banks with the 3294 BIOS that forces 480p.  (I flashed banks 1-4 and 5-8 with the same BIOS for redundancy.)  Using a BIOS that forces the 480p will eliminate the weird looking transition between the flubber screen and the dashboard splash screen.  (It does that because it switches graphic modes when the dash loads, if you have enabled a higher resolution in the dash settings.) From there, use XBpartitioner 1.3.  (As I installed a HDD larger than 2TB, my F & G partition sizes were around 1020GB each.  For a 2 TB drive, people have been using around 927GB each.  The rule is that LBA48 cannot support more than 1 TB per partition so if you have selected a value higher than 1020GB per partition, you will run into problems.)  Good luck!

• Like 1

4tb is overkill and a waste. You only get about 90-100gb more per partition then a 2tb drive. I have got alomst the entire xbox game collection on to a 2tb and i am only missing the "Club Football"  series (which is abput 20 games that are almost identical) and a few Jap games that are not playable unless you know Japanese :)

Edited by nikeymikey

1 hour ago, nikeymikey said:

4tb is overkill and a waste.

I couldn't agree with you more. 

Years ago, I had a NAS with four 4TB HDDs.  Everything was working fine until I had to disconnect it and move across the country.  When I hooked everything back up, the NAS software reported that one of the 4TB HDDs was starting to fail.  As I had already been accustomed to spending all of my hard earned money on technology, I decided to upgrade to a 6TB HDD to replace the failing 4TB HDD.  The NAS was working well again which left me with that failing 4TB to deal with.  After looking into the warranty, I found out that it was still within the warranty period so I sent it off to the repair line.  After a couple weeks wait, a brand new 4TB HDD was sent to me.  A few years had past and I just caught the bug to upgrade my OG Xbox so I dusted the 4TB off and gave it a try in my old Xbox.  I had nothing to lose and guess what?  It works great and I am so excited to learn about the other things that incredibly smart people have been doing with their systems.

So, I don't recommend buying a HDD larger than 2TB because you would just be wasting your money.  But, if you have one lying around the house then by all means, try it out.

Regards, my friends.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2019 at 1:20 PM, nikeymikey said:

4tb is overkill and a waste. You only get about 90-100gb more per partition then a 2tb drive. I have got alomst the entire xbox game collection on to a 2tb and i am only missing the "Club Football"  series (which is abput 20 games that are almost identical) and a few Jap games that are not playable unless you know Japanese :)

Total of 99.49GiBs per extended partition - 198.98GiB's in total more than with a 2TB drive.  Not worth it unless a 3 or 4TB drive is cheaper than a 2TB drive or you already have one you aren't using.  

Too bad the sector counter (edit: and/or cluster counter) size was never increased from 32-bits to 48-bits to access more data on larger HDDs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Total of 99.49GiBs per extended partition - 198.98GiB's in total more than with a 2TB drive.  Not worth it unless a 3 or 4TB drive is cheaper than a 2TB drive or you already have one you aren't using.  

Too bad the sector counter size was never increased from 32-bits to 48-bits to access more data on larger HDDs.

Is this even possible??

• 9 months later...
On 3/13/2019 at 5:51 PM, nikeymikey said:

I run that exact bios on my X3, never have any need to change banks. In fact the only time I ever change bios is when I am playing an iso file game from the hard drive and need to use the patched bios that mounts the iso as a disc. Even then it’s a case of running a quick xbe and not about changing banks on the chip.

Do you know how can I patch the bios like you mentioned? Would be a great way to unleash my x3ce potential too :)

On 12/20/2019 at 1:13 PM, Mindaugas Petronis said:

Do you know how can I patch the bios like you mentioned? Would be a great way to unleash my x3ce potential too :)

Simpler to boot a different supported BIOS to use NKPatcher's driveimageutils' attach app when you want to mount a disc image to run a game from a dot iso file (XISO disc image) stored on the hard drive with the default.xbe (attach app renamed and XBE title editied) in a Games subfolder.

M8plus is supported.  You need to make sure that the LBA48 configuration of the BIOS matches that in use by the X3 BIOS. (Or, have an XBPartitioner partition table on the hard drive and use a BIOS that reads it to override the default built-in LBA48 configuration of the BIOS.)

Here's the list of the CDROM Modchip patchable BIOSes from the BIOS chain loader app's source code - xboxapp.asm:

kernel_info_table:
    kinfo_entry 3944, 8003BE58h, 8003bff0h, 80031656h
    kinfo_entry 4034, 8003BF18h, 8003c0b0h, 80031293h
    kinfo_entry 4817, 8003B198h, 8003b330h, 8002fd41h
    kinfo_entry 4981, 8004F5F8h, 8004F790h, 80034584h
    kinfo_entry 5003, 80042D48h, 80042EE0h, 80035902h
    kinfo_entry 5035, 8005D4F0h, 8005D680h, 8003BC5Dh
    kinfo_entry 5101, 8003B298h, 8003B430h, 8002FDD7h
    kinfo_entry 5530, 8003C118h, 8003c2c4h, 8002ff55h
    kinfo_entry 5713, 8003C138h, 8003c2e4h, 8002ff6fh
    kinfo_entry 5838, 8003C138h, 8003c2e4h, 8002ff6fh
    kinfo_entry_last

What all those numbers mean as to which BIOSes work on a hard modded console to use NKPatcher's attach app along with the CDROM mount patcher that chain loads your default dashboard after patching the in-memory BIOS:

Evolution-X's M8plus - kernel version = 5838 (has the same kernel version as the latest stock MS BIOS.
Team Xecuter's X2 4981 (fits in a 256KB BIOS bank) and 5035 (requires a 512KB BIOS bank)
iND-BIOS 5003, not 5004 :(

The other versions listed are the stock MS BIOS versions: 3944, 4034, 4817, 5101, 5530, 5713, 5838 (used with softmods).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 7:13 PM, Mindaugas Petronis said:

Using the patched bios to run iso fils is not an X3 specific thing, as Kais has said above you can manually do it using any of the bioses he mentioned. I dont do it that way tho... If you are using XBMC4Gamers as your dash, its very simple indeed to do it.

If you go to this post, i have a short but simple guide to do it using that dash.

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1219-complete-xbox-game-collection-in-one-xbox/&do=findComment&comment=8190

• Like 1