OGXbox.com

[Solved] AladdinLCD mod with Xeno Modchip

sweetdarkdestiny

Hey. 

Today I found the time to do the mod. However, I didn't used a AladdinXT clone, I used an Xenochip lite modchips I have laying around. Both have the same LC4032v, connect them in the same way to the pads so what can go wrong right? 

So the problem I have is that the display did not display anything. It lights up and I have fancy black blocks on it but, thats it. X4G is setup for it right (contrast to 20%) and I know that the display works (testet with an SmartXX). 

Some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/GHOxLqr

Pinout, solder points checked as shown below :

RS -> L1 -> Pin 30 (B9)
E  -> D0 -> Pin 31 (B10) (And also to Pin 29 (B8). Checked that on a non modded chip and it's the same.)
Vo -> HD -> Pin 9 (A10)
RW -> Ground.

D7 -> SST Pad 10 -> Pin 43 (A3)
D6 -> SST Pad 11 -> Pin 42 (A2)
D5 -> SST Pad 13  -> Pin 41 (A1) 
D4 -> BT -> Pin 26 (B7)

VSS & Backlight- -> Pin 27 (Ground)
VCC & Backlight+ -> NONE, just the pin from the LPC header.

Note: Just 1 huge ground on the Xenochip Lite.

So any help would be welcome. :)

• Like 2

Alright, I MAYBE found the problem but to confirm my theory, I would need some help since I do not have any of these clones hand Ryzee uses for his mod.

I have measured the LPC to Lattice connections. Picture here : https://imgur.com/a/EovhqKE

Now it would be nice if someone who has one of these clones on hand could measure of the pinout matches with mine or if there are differences and if where.

Check for the Edit button to wörk....

It seems to be that the pin assiment is the problem.  The svf file says: 

! NOTE PINS LPC_RST : 2 : in
! NOTE PINS LPC_CLK : 39 : in
! NOTE PINS LPC_LAD_3_ : 35 : inout
! NOTE PINS LCD_CONTRAST : 9 : out
! NOTE PINS LPC_LAD_2_ : 36 : inout
! NOTE PINS LPC_LAD_1_ : 37 : inout
! NOTE PINS LPC_LAD_0_ : 38 : inout
! NOTE PINS LCD_DATA_3_ : 43 : out
! NOTE PINS LCD_RS : 29 : out
! NOTE PINS LCD_E : 31 : out
! NOTE PINS LCD_DATA_2_ : 42 : out
! NOTE PINS LCD_DATA_1_ : 41 : out
! NOTE PINS LCD_DATA_0_ : 26 : out

LPC Pinout : https://imgur.com/a/fDCm2xe

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
  • Like 1

I have a couple of these black PCB's it was made to fit directly to the back of the LCD display by Sean Youdis from FaceSook

1640257419_lcdpcb1.jpg.72098bec216d8bd2ca3992d3d3cf66d4.jpg

1640257419_lcdpcb1.jpg.72098bec216d8bd2ca3992d3d3cf66d4.jpg

PXL-20230401-043405428.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Ladies and people without boobs, problem solved.

As we all know, i's never the fault of the guy on the iron except when it is. So the poblem was RS -> L1 -> Pin 30 (B9) which is actualy Pin 29 and goes to D0 instead of L1 and the other problem was E  (Pin 31 (B10)) which didn't goes on L1 on the Xenochip. And to take it a little step further, there is no pad at all you could solder E (Pin 31) on the Xeno. So to solve that you need to lift the pin 31 a bit and solder strait to that pin. 

After that the Xeno will work with Ryzee's mod. 

2 bad pictures: https://imgur.com/a/DNKfMIB

EDIT: Maybe @KaosEngineer you would be so nice to edit the topic title to : [Solved]  AladdinLCD mod with Xeno Modchip   Thanks. :)

Sounds like a lack of caffeine caused the issue.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Haha 1

That ofc could be possible. ;)

Jokes a side, I guess the problem was that I wasn't aware af the fact that pin 29 and 31 are bridget internally and in combination with me tracing down the L1/D0/HD on the Aladdin PCB from Ryzee I didn't noticed that L1 isn't connectet to the pin like it's on the Xeno chip. However, this rises the question if you could connect pin 31 to DO (pin 29) as well as it seems to me that both "do the same". If that would be possible it would not be needed to lift that one pin. I guess, I will try that on the next chip.